sore wrists - push-up alternatives?

Options
isa75
isa75 Posts: 156 Member
I have sore wrists, I've noticed it in the past when doing yoga. Now I am having problems with push-ups. This is probably related to tendonitis...

Any thoughts on push-up alternatives that might be less stressful on my wrists? Or am I just doing it wrong?

Replies

• victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    You can try doing them with dumbells. Another thing is if your elbows are out too far it might hurt more. I get wrist pain in my right hand sometimes and when I do my push ups with my elbows closer to my body it doesn't bother me. I think it easier on your wrists that way because your hands are right under the shoulders.
  • isa75
    Options
    Thanks, I'll try out the dumbells that's something I haven't tried before. I've tried lots of different hand positions before and struggled with the pain (bad pain). I also read somewhere else to just do try it on my knuckles.....
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I've done it on my knuckles before too and it works. I only when I have an exercise mat though
  • gxm17
    gxm17 Posts: 374
    Options
    I used to have a lot of wrist pain in yoga poses similar to push-ups and used the gripitz yoga blocks. They helped relieve the pain and strengthen my wrists.
  • isa75
    Options
    Thanks!
  • isa75
    Options
    Knuckles work, no wrist pain and hey, makes me feel a little more hard-core, so it is a win win.