So, I'm gonna give this gardening thing a shot (pics)

Options
tsh0ck
tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
for the friends -- and anyone else, really -- that were curious about what my weekend of garden-building turned out, here are some photos. went from empty to a light tilling, just scraping the surface. then deeper tilling, building up mound rows and topping them with some additional soil. then some compost and a good watering.

waiting for a few days to get in there and grab the weeds that pop up, and then will probably plant a small, initial crop of some carrots, peas, broccoli and the like. stuff that can handle a random cold snap a little easier. least, from the reading that's what it seems to say.

friends on here have said to wait, so I'm going to hold off for a bit on the bulk of the planting. but probably will put some flowers out this week on one of the far rows, just to get something growing out there.

any gardening/harvesting advice will certainly be accepted ... I'm just learning this stuff on the fly!

2012-04-22_15-46-58_485.jpg

2012-04-22_16-10-12_889.jpg

2012-04-22_17-30-22_565.jpg

2012-04-23_12-43-07_287.jpg

2012-04-23_13-34-12_889.jpg

2012-04-23_14-19-49_656.jpg

2012-04-23_18-29-10_639.jpg

Replies

• hoppinfroggin22
    hoppinfroggin22 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    ok im jealous!! i gotta get to work on mine!!
  • bethhyg
    bethhyg Posts: 209
    Options
    Ok, I am loving it. You look like you live in the country. It seems to be so peaceful. Good luck on the garden.:flowerforyou:
  • jplord
    jplord Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    WOW, you are ambitious! That is a huge garden!!! We keep the work load to a minimum by following a method known as square-foot gardening and using raised beds.

You must be really young or choosing to burn calories in the dirt rather than the gym....
  • lombrica
    lombrica Posts: 1,419 Member
    Options
    When you do something... you REALLY do something! I didn't really know if I expected to see this quite so... big. But, yet, it also doesn't surprise me?!?

So.. yeah, step it off and give some dimensions...

This is gonna be awesome - and maybe will even help you with eating more of your veggies... I can't wait to hear and SEE the progress... See, now that you've posted photos once... I will expect to keep seeing the progress. Ha!

No wonder the time and the burn... great job! And... good luck... NOW... hold off a bit and plant at a reasonable time! I'm thinking that it definitely looks like some room for carrots (cause you seem to be part rabbit)... ha, ha, ha.

(kinda a little jealous... my garden is much, much smaller... but then, I don't want to do all the weeding and just do a bag garden in a raised bed. So, I'll remember that I don't really have to weed... every time I hear about you harvesting more of your goods!)
  • tsh0ck
    Options
    ha! I actually tilled up twice what I am using. figure I can either use that to expand at a later date or, more likely, rotate the planting area. next year I can move it to the back half, giving the front end a break. I have no idea if this is a good idea or not ... but since I had the tiller out, I figured I might as well get it started for the next time.
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    Looks fantastic! think of all the fresh homegrown goodness youll have all summer! I cant wait to tear into mine.
  • Icewolf_The
    Icewolf_The Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Looks AWESOME!!! :)

So my advice for planting since you have the room you crazy wombat you... Is when you plant your corn. (and I know you will) ;) Plant your pole beans around the base of your corn stalks. The beans will 'climb' up the corn stalks and save you the hassle of having to lay wire string runners for the beans ;)

Otherwise, rock on dude.. OH :)

One last thing.. If you put your water lines down the center of the walk rows and then run feeder lines to the plants, you'll never have to re-dig your lines. When you re-till the mounds and re plant, you just pull back the feeder lines and coil over the main lines and away you go ;)

Shazam ;)

Awesome dude! ;)
  • tsh0ck
    Options
    I'd read about putting the beans with the corn ... it won't choke one or the other off?

the paths were going to have straw. read about laying down newspaper or cardboard, wetting it and then putting a straw bed on top of that. tried it with one row, and just didn't like it at all, so took the straw out.

anyway, not sure what I'm gonna do water wise. when I used the sprinkler to wet it down, the one sprinkler hit pretty much the entire garden area. one of those that rotates, 180 degrees on the top, back and forth? thought I might just use that. I have some of those drip hoses, but right now they are living in my flower beds ... which are actually starting to come up -- though, not as quickly as the weeds. ugh. I hate weeding.
  • OMGLeigh
    OMGLeigh Posts: 236
    Options
    If I recall, corn take up the nitrogen, beans replenish it. The trinity of crops is apparently corn, beans and squash. All grown together.
  • tsh0ck
    Options
    so obviously the corn has to be there first ... how long before the corn comes up and is able to take on the beans?
  • OMGLeigh
    OMGLeigh Posts: 236
    Options
    so obviously the corn has to be there first ... how long before the corn comes up and is able to take on the beans?

Here you go, a page about gardening with the "three sisters".
    http://www.reneesgarden.com/articles/3sisters.html

Corn first, beans and squash when it is 4 inches tall.
  • Gohomebay
    Gohomebay Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Wow I thought I was an excited gardener that is simply fabulous.
    Started some new things this year from seed inside bunch of lettuces and spaghetti squash, I hope I did not start too early snowed here today lol
    Last year we had so many tomatoes I sun dried them so delicious and easy to do if anyone wants to know just ask me.
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    i have jealousy.
  • lombrica
    Options

the paths were going to have straw. read about laying down newspaper or cardboard, wetting it and then putting a straw bed on top of that. tried it with one row, and just didn't like it at all, so took the straw out.

ugh. I hate weeding.

So... isn't part of that to help squelch out the weeds? I mean... that's what I've heard about the newspaper and that's what I used it for... it worked - really, really well!
  • tsh0ck
    Options
    I think so. but it was only the path ... so guess I don't much mind if they are a little on there. though maybe I should. see? I have no clue. :)

(and I didn't even think the part I set up was that big! shows what I know.)
  • lombrica
    Options
    Well... when you measure it out - we'll all know if it's "that big" or not. :)
  • ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    WOW, you are ambitious! That is a huge garden!!! We keep the work load to a minimum by following a method known as square-foot gardening and using raised beds.

You must be really young or choosing to burn calories in the dirt rather than the gym....

I was wondering the same thing. :happy:
  • ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    I think so. but it was only the path ... so guess I don't much mind if they are a little on there. though maybe I should. see? I have no clue. :)

(and I didn't even think the part I set up was that big! shows what I know.)

You are so cute. I love it.

You will realize how big it is when it is hot outside and the garden is full of bugs!! LOL
    I wish I were you. It should be so much fun. You are so lucky.
    It really looks like you did an amazing job.
  • tsh0ck
    Options
    The bigger the garden, the longer the weeding. So not sure how lucky I am ... but thanks.

:)
  • tsh0ck
    Options
    so, stepped it off this afternoon. looks like the prepped area is right about 30 x 30. (the un-prepped but tilled area behind that I may eventually either use or rotate planting into is probably about the same.)

is that really that big?