Insulin Resistance Help?

Options
2»

Replies

• doughnutwretch
    doughnutwretch Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of carbohydrates and not a lot of protein, and in your case, it should be the other way around. Aim for high protein (1g per lb of lean body mass), moderate to high fat and low carb (by that I mean maybe around 100g a day). When eating carbs, focus on ones that come from vegetables and whole grains. Carrots, lettuce, whole wheat bread, whole wheat pasta, whole grain waffles such as Kashi Go Lean, apples, bananas, berries, etc. In regards to the picky eating, all I have to say is knock it off. There's no reason to be picky, especially if it means you don't like fruits and vegetables. You're not 6 years old anymore and at this point, your health depends on good food.

Continue walking and if you can, factor in some resistance work.

Other good snack ideas:
    Unsalted nuts
    Nut butters (the natural kinds)
    Yogurt (I eat Kroger carbmaster because they have very little sugar)
    Light string cheese (Frigo is the best IMO)
    0% plain greek yogurt mixed with a ranch or other dressing mix and used to dip your veggies

Lastly, I encourage you to see a doctor often to ensure you're in good health. Losing weight is a great starting point and will help emensely, but it's still important that you're getting regular blood tests done, ultrasounds if you're getting cysts, etc.
  • sdevan45
    sdevan45 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I attended a really great diabetes class at our local hospital. The bottom line is that there is no such thing as a diabetic diet. There are good diets and bad bad diets. Here is are the rules for a good diet:

For lunch and dinner, divide your plate into 4 quarters: 2 veggies, 1 good carb, 1 lean protein. Carb intake for women should be no more more than 45 grams of carbs per meal. If you limit portion control to about 3 - 3.5 oz per plate quarter, you will eat about 300 -350 calories per meal

Snack lightly twice a day on fresh fruit and some good fat (eg nuts, etc), as fat taken with carbs slows down carb digestion.

Eat about 150 calorie balanced snack before bedtime. Your looking at about a 1200 - 1300 calorie diet and may have to adjust either up to suit your activity level.

When reading food labels, disregard the sugar value. Look at the carb value. Look for high fiber carbs, as fiber does not count against your carb intake.
  • zzzeldazz
    zzzeldazz Posts: 19
    Options
    All of these posts are good. Limiting carbs and sugars are the key. Also try adding 500 milligrams of Chromium Picolinate as a supplement and monitor your blood sugar. Get a meter and test your blood at least once a day so you can learn what does and what does not raise your blood sugar. Test after fasting and after meals.....to get familiar with what your body does. Some doctors have free starter kits with meters and you can also get free kits on line sometimes.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    The bottom line is that there is no such thing as a diabetic diet.

Diabetes is a disease of glucose control. Reducing the glucose load is fairly hard to argue against, don't you think ?

Especially as there are no "essential carbohydrates" ie carbs that your body has to have and can't make (as opposed to "essential fatty acids" etc).

Diabetes associations worldwide have their heads up their *kitten* advising "balanced diets" and crap that leaves their victims munching on the very foods their body can't handle.
  • raystark
    raystark Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    The bottom line is that there is no such thing as a diabetic diet.

Diabetes is a disease of glucose control. Reducing the glucose load is fairly hard to argue against, don't you think ?

Especially as there are no "essential carbohydrates" ie carbs that your body has to have and can't make (as opposed to "essential fatty acids" etc).

Diabetes associations worldwide have their heads up their *kitten* advising "balanced diets" and crap that leaves their victims munching on the very foods their body can't handle.

True. And it isn't just the Diabetes associations. I was diagnosed pre-diabetic about seven years ago and became full-blown insulin dependent after an attack of pancreatitis set off by the steroids I was given for Bell's Palsy back in 2009.

I was in hospital a number of times between 2007 and 2009 and was shocked by what would end up on my food tray when I chose the "diabetic plate" for breakfast, lunch or dinner. At least half the items would be chock full of carbs - and not the good kind. I would have my wife bring me in a big bag of beef jerky to eat on between meals because I left most of the food on the tray and just ate whatever protein and fat there was to be had.

Admittedly I am an extreme case but my wife and I went out for lunch a couple weeks ago and I got a wrap that sounded ok. Tortilla, scrambled eggs, sausage, avocado...one tortilla couldn't hurt, right? Checked my BG two hours later and it was over 400. People have different levels of Insulin Resistance and there are some of us who simply cannot eat carbs except for green veggie carbs.
  • dsjr2006
    dsjr2006 Posts: 7
    Options
    +1 - The Glycemic Load Diet
  • pacwoman92
    pacwoman92 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of your replies everyone! Lots of people have things in common it seems, but there are different opinions as well. Thanks for all of the websites everyone recommended too!!! This diet is extremely hard but I'm following it with strive!!! Everyone in my family, aside from my husband, treats me like I'm stupid for eating the way that I do...Which I find shocking as they are my family, but hey what can you do right? I really appreciate all of the support on here :)
  • akarney
    akarney Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    bump
  • blackb7
    Options
    I have just been diagnosed with insulin resistance but can definitely help. Firstly, I love cereal. I know how hard it is to cut it out. But really do try. If you can't, drink it with unsweetened almond milk for a protein boost. Also, don't eat only a can of green beans for a meal. Every meal should have protein. I suggest chicken and turkey because they are the leanest. However, a healthy kind of a fat in limited amounts is actually a good way to help your body process the sugar. Go with quaker lower sugar oatmeal. It's the best. Also, Sara Lee whole wheat bread is also great. For fruit, try and learn to like berries. Apples and other fruits can be high in simple sugars. Worry about the calories, but don't focus solely on them. It's more about lowering carbs and sugar while boosting protein. Lastly, try and eat your carbs later at night. Your body will process them better.