VETERAN RUNNERS! What's your preferred distance?

Options

Replies

• azukarsweet
    azukarsweet Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I will be running my fourth half marathon (one barefoot). I decided this would probably be my last one for a while only because the training keeps me from doing what I really enjoy, photography. So I've decided 5k's will be my new favorite. My husband recently convinced me to run on some trails and I must admit, although harder, I kinda enjoyed running them.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I'm presently enjoying 1/2's mainly because they are so easy to just run, w/o having to worry about much stress on my body or training. I'm training for my second full this fall, hopefully, I can maintain the mileage and be able to do the same with full's as I have with have - just run one whenever I want w/o having to worry about too much training to get there.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    not that I am one. My husband's boss who is in his 50s, has been a runner for 35+ years. He told me his preferred distance is a 1/2 marathon. (he brought this up since I was training for one).
  • lauleipop
    lauleipop Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I love 1/2's. It's not too far, the training is easy to fit into a busy schedule. That being said, I'll run my first full this October and am really looking forward to 3 - 4 hour runs during training.

If by "strongest" you mean fastest pace-wise, no. I have solid performance during a half, generally hitting my best split at mile 9. The last 4 miles are hard, but I know I'll finish them. Physically I feel at my peak when I'm trained for a half. I'm hoping training for a full will set a new standard for me.
  • trimom10
    trimom10 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Great question and one I really haven't pondered until now. I really like a 10 mile race that I've done about five times now. Long enough to be challenging, have to put time into training, and feel like you've accomplished something when you cross the finish line.

That being said, I've run a one mile race the past two years and thought it was challenging in a different way than the 10 mile. I really had to concentrate on running and pushing myself the entire way, no time to daydream or sightsee. I came in around 7:30 and was so pleased with the PR. Can't wait to run it again this season being 15 pounds lighter and hopefully sub 7.
  • trail_rnr
    trail_rnr Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I don't race too much these days, usually one or two big dogs a year, and I like to try different races in the west. That said, I'm repeating a 50m this year in which I did poorly here in Utah last year because I feel like I need to redeem my crappy performance (plus last year the route was an alternate snow course and it kind of sucked). I like 50m way more than 50k, but the longer the better, in general. I think this is primarily because I am slow and suck at shorter races (granted, I haven't done a 5k or a 10k in something like 15 years). And I just really like running for hours.

I do a lot of long training runs in beautiful places and after the "eventing" season (I like the word "event" better than "race") is done I like to tackle a few adventure runs. These usually run in the 30-50 mile range. Since I seem to default to that distance, it must be my favorite.

Strongest? Heck, I'm usually happy to just finish :happy:
  • aprilgicker
    aprilgicker Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I don't race too much these days, usually one or two big dogs a year, and I like to try different races in the west. That said, I'm repeating a 50m this year in which I did poorly here in Utah last year because I feel like I need to redeem my crappy performance (plus last year the route was an alternate snow course and it kind of sucked). I like 50m way more than 50k, but the longer the better, in general. I think this is primarily because I am slow and suck at shorter races (granted, I haven't done a 5k or a 10k in something like 15 years). And I just really like running for hours.

I do a lot of long training runs in beautiful places and after the "eventing" season (I like the word "event" better than "race") is done I like to tackle a few adventure runs. These usually run in the 30-50 mile range. Since I seem to default to that distance, it must be my favorite.

Strongest? Heck, I'm usually happy to just finish :happy:
    So, As far as resting for these, DO you walk some or actually jog the whole way. I know running on trails makes the miles slip by but just curious.
    And what if you hit the wall are you disqualified if you walk to try to recover in other races.
    I know if you sign up as a walker you have to walk but if you are a runner can you walk? or is it different with every race?
  • trail_rnr
    trail_rnr Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I prefer to think of it as power hiking :happy: On these long races, very few people DON'T walk at least a little. You have to learn how to be efficient and rest on your feet. If you can walk up a steep hill faster than you can run it, you walk it. Many, many people walk ALL of the uphills. And sometimes you just need to walk.

Every race is different. I did a trail marathon last weekend with a total of over 7000' of elev gain (most of it in two long, steep climbs). That was way harder than the 50k I did a few weeks ago (6+ miles farther) with only 4000' of elev gain. Much more walking during the marathon.
  • aprilgicker
    aprilgicker Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I prefer to think of it as power hiking :happy: On these long races, very few people DON'T walk at least a little. You have to learn how to be efficient and rest on your feet. If you can walk up a steep hill faster than you can run it, you walk it. Many, many people walk ALL of the uphills. And sometimes you just need to walk.

Every race is different. I did a trail marathon last weekend with a total of over 7000' of elev gain (most of it in two long, steep climbs). That was way harder than the 50k I did a few weeks ago (6+ miles farther) with only 4000' of elev gain. Much more walking during the marathon.
    This sounds like something I would like. I see folks doing the pavement pounders And I just think of how bad it would hurt afterwards and boring. My husband loves to do trail runs. We will be moving to Germany in a month the place is littered with trails. There is even a castle group. Thanks for the answer!
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    13.1 is my preferred distance for competition - 7-8 milers for daily runs.
  • eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I've only done a bunch of 5ks, a couple 5 milers, and just one 10k... I signed up for a half-marathon but found the training program to be too time consuming for me. I play hockey 3 days a week and do a lot of cross-training, so dedicating that much time to pure running did not work out for me. I love the 5k distance.. all of my cross-training prepares me pretty well for it, and I am able to squeeze in enough pure run time to train pretty well. If only I could have a crowd of people to run with/compete with on my daily runs... :P That really fuels me!

I also have a hard time running more slowly for longer distances.. in a race, I've really never run slower than an 8 min 30 sec mile (finally broke the 8 min mile barrier during this past Saturday's 5k, though, which I am very proud of!), and for me right now, it would be very hard to do anything more than a 10k at that kind of pace.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely not a veteran, but I've done 5ks, 10ks, and one half--and doing my second half next month. 5ks are the easiest but I kinda like the challenge of a half...
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I love 10 milers. Part of that could be that I really enjoy the 10 mile race that I run every year (Soldier Field 10). The other part is that it's a distance that I have to train for but I don't have to follow a strict schedule to do it. During the winter my long runs drop to 4-5 milers but that's still enough of a base for me to make the jump to 10 easily.

I've done everything from 5ks to two marathons.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I've raced from 400 meters up to the marathon and I think my favorite race distance is 10 miles. The pace is fast enough that you really feel like you are moving, but it's not an anaerobic effort like a 5K where you feel like your chest is going to explode for the last 1.1 miles. I'm also quite fond of mile races on the track. That's a gold standard. Pretty much everyone knows about the 4 minute mile and they can understand what's fast and what's faster. :)
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    For mid-week runs, I don't bother going unless I'm going to get in 4.5-5 miles. My weekend long runs are usually in the 11-13 mile range.

As for race events, I like the atmosphere of a 5K, you get anywhere from the gazelles running at a 5-minute pace, guys like me at "fast, but not fast enough" pace and the beginner runners and the walkers. It's really a great mix and great atmosphere, being at those races helps keep things in perspective for me about where I've come from (my first 5K 2 1/2 years ago I clocked in at 40 minutes, a month ago I was at 22:20) and where I want to go (one day I'll be a gazelle!).

I ran my first half-marathon in February and have to admit that I loved it. It is, to me, the perfect length. Just long enough to know I pushed my body, a race length that I know I can push and sustain just beyond what I've done in training and not so long of a race that it feels like I'll never get there (which is what I imagine a whole marathon would feel like for me).
  • rachel5576
    rachel5576 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I love to race half marathons. On my own a 15-18miler is great.
  • rugbygirlca
    Options
    For me, there is a difference between the feeling of accomplishment that comes from the longer distances and my favourite distance. A half marathon or marathon represent a major accomplishment. If you are able to, it is definitely worth training for at least once in your life.

My favourite distance, however, is 10K. I like that a 10K race requires training, but not a huge number of training km/miles every week. I like to cross train (boot camp style workouts, running, yoga, swimming) and the 10K distance allows me to do this. I run 2-3x per week. I aim for 1 short run (4-5 km), 1 interval or hill workout and 1 longer (8-12km) run. This is managable from a time perspective and also from an injury prevention perspective.

It's such a personal thing, however. Each person finds their endorphins at a different point in a run.
  • hostrander37
    hostrander37 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have 71 races under my belt in 3 years, so I'll say I'm a Veteran runner! Road run-- my peferered training distance is 5 mile, so that I can race 10k, 15k and 1/2 marathon as needed. However, my love is for the trail runs! As a matter of fact, I'm earning my orange headband this weekend. Tough Mudder! (10-11 miles, 26 obstacles). I got hooked on these kind of trail runs after the finishing the Warrior Dash and Run for your Life, Zombie run! Good Times!
  • muzmacol
    muzmacol Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    9 max, 8 is happy days and a fast 5 gives great pleasure!
  • Julcandoit
    Julcandoit Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My favorite is the half marathon....long enough to feel like a big race. But, not so long that it kicks your *kitten* for 2 days after!

I despise 5Ks. I would rather run long than fast. :)

Completely agree :-)