Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

6 weeks postpartum

I'm 5' 6", and hanging right at 200 pounds. I'm six weeks postpartum and am having a difficult time trying to figure out what my daily caloric intake should be, especially considering I'm breastfeeding - I can't seem to find any information that takes that into account.

If someone could help me with a basic jumping off point, and maybe a way to semi-accurately calculate how many calories are burned nursing (I don't want to starve myself and/or my daughter accidentally), it would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• LizKurz
    LizKurz Posts: 340 Member
    Ah ive got this one.:) while nursing my second, I dropped over 100 lbs.

You want to take what you would normally need and add in 300-500 cals per day.

Then at the sixth month mark, knock it down to 200-300 cals per day extra.
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    There's no hard number, but the common advice for breastfeeding seems to be eating a few hundred calories over whatever it took you to maintain your weight pre-pregnancy. I found a lot of results (just skimmed quickly for that answer) by googling "extra calories required breastfeeding" so you might want to try that, read a little more in-depth than I did, and see if you find a result that works for you.
  • campi_mama
    campi_mama Posts: 350 Member
    First of all, congrats!! I had similar stats 5'5" 202 starting weight (this time) (I have 3 kids). As you are logging your foods input breastfeeding and the data base will pull up several options and you can add the calories to your daily allowance. Don't cut anything too drastically. Eat enough, but make sure you are getting high quality foods with plenty of good fats. Almonds are great for milk production btw. Also, Malted milk powder will give you a boost if you start noticing a drop in supply. Feel free to add me. I weaned my 3rd kiddo 3 months ago, but I understand the situation well :smile:
    Another thing, be patient. It took 9 months to gain the weight, it's not gonna melt away overnight. 1st priority is feeding bubs, the rest of it will come if you just keep plugging along toward the goal line.
  • LizKurz
    LizKurz Posts: 340 Member
    First of all, congrats!! I had similar stats 5'5" 202 starting weight (this time) (I have 3 kids). As you are logging your foods input breastfeeding and the data base will pull up several options and you can add the calories to your daily allowance. Don't cut anything too drastically. Eat enough, but make sure you are getting high quality foods with plenty of good fats. Almonds are great for milk production btw. Also, Malted milk powder will give you a boost if you start noticing a drop in supply. Feel free to add me. I weaned my 3rd kiddo 3 months ago, but I understand the situation well :smile:
    Another thing, be patient. It took 9 months to gain the weight, it's not gonna melt away overnight. 1st priority is feeding bubs, the rest of it will come if you just keep plugging along toward the goal line.

Wow, this site tracks breastfeeding? I wish I had known that a few months ago. Thats awesome. I don't know any other site that tracks it
  • campi_mama
    campi_mama Posts: 350 Member

Wow, this site tracks breastfeeding? I wish I had known that a few months ago. Thats awesome. I don't know any other site that tracks it
    Yeah, it was a HUGE help for me at first. It is handy to have the 300-500 cals calculated into your daily intake