Baby Here/ Abs Gone

Options
I had my baby 4 weeks ago. And the Doctor finally gave me the greenlight for cardio workout. However, I'm still haven't gotten the greenlight on ab work. To be honest this has always been my weak spot but really want to get it as tight as possible.
Need to know if anyone else has had a baby and gotten their abs back?

Replies

• mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Having abs is more related to the fat on top, and not the actual muscle. Just start slowly, losing fat will help make them visible.

I'm no expert on having babies but I think you should probably take it easy at first. Just watch your diet. :smile:

That being said, swimming is a good cardio workout for your core.
  • Bonny272
    Bonny272 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    My best friend has had six children and looks better than she did in high school. She works out regularly and watches what she eats.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Yes! Although I am still working on the "pouch" at 7 months post partum with baby #4. But I do know that it will continue to shrink as long as I track calories, work abs and other muscles, and just keep going (like I said, baby #4, so I've been through this before).

Do wait until your doc clears you for any intensive ab training. You don't want to overstress the weakened muscles and end up causing more trouble. Until then, make sure that you are tucking your tailbone and engaging your abs during your other exercise. That's the start, anyway.
  • Irishmoonwitch
    Options
    I just had a baby 6 weeks ago. So I haven't gotten my back yet. Only allowed to do light walking to workout right now. I had complications with my c-section incision. But I am hoping within the next two weeks I can get the green light. Even though that means another surgery and another 2 weeks of no working out. :( But soon I can start up again. Good luck on getting those abs back.

And feel free to add me if you like.
  • SpydrMnky27
    SpydrMnky27 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Might wanna check and see if you have diastisis recti before you do ab work. If your ab muscles are separated past a certain point you don't want to do crunches right now. I had my last baby almost 2 years ago and the tummy is still a problem because of the separation. Fingers crossed you don't have it!!

ETA- Congrats on your baby!!
  • inside_lap
    inside_lap Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    It's definitely possible. My little one is 18 months and I've mostly gotten my old body back. Tummy's kind of hard due to loser skin (nothing dramatic that anyone but me can tell but definitely "looser" then it use to be). Body fat is what will be the biggest factor against getting your old belly back. That and stretching/separation of the muscles making ab work somewhat harder.