anybody else work at night? how do you meal plan?

Options

Replies

• sarah2954
    sarah2954 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    My fiance works midnights, 10:30pm-6:30am. He starts his day around 4:00pm. His first meal is dinner (poor guy has dinner for breakfast every day lol). I cook nutritious meals almost every night (we eat out on Fridays). He may have a small snack around 9:00, then leaves for work at 10:00. He has a snack on his first break at 1:00am (usually an apple or orange), then his lunch at 3:00 (a fruit, lots of veggies, a lean cuisine, and a pudding cup). He gets home around 7:00, sometimes has a small breakfast, but most days falls asleep right away. He eats 1800/day (also on MFP, SW: 352, CW: 298). He starts logging his day with our dinner in the evening when he wakes up.
  • prism6
    prism6 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    If it is a steady shift,his schedual should work ok for him. I work A&B shifts I do better in different areas depending on the shift
  • nataliefamily3
    Options
    I work 4 - 11 pm. I cook dinner in the afternoon and eat it when I get home. My crockpot is one of my best friends...there are so many recipes for it!
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I used to work 10-5am.
    I would wake around midday and have breakfast. About 4pm I'd have a salad or some soup, then about 7pm I'd have dinner with my SO. Sometimes I'd take a sandwich and a yoghurt or a small snack with me, but to be honest, I worked in a bar so I was drinking (not always alcohol) throughout the night which curbed m appetite. I would have a yoghurt or a banana right before bed.

Not the healthiest during work, but being on my feet all night meant I still lost weight steadily.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I work 11p-7a. I eat dinner with my family and log that as breakfast. I usually take my lunch break around 3-4am. Then I eat again when I get home and log that as dinner. Sounds weird, but it works.
  • katbean12
    katbean12 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    oh gosh, i work 7am-3pm PLUS 4 days a week I ALSO work from 1am-6am.
    I eat normally when working the 7-3pm shift, but the problem is after dinner i usually sleep right- so that's bad ! i try to have a smaller dinner.. and on the 5 hour overnight shift, i try to only drink. water, or black coffee..

Not sure if that helps.. but it goes to show you aren't alone - things are expensive, including healthy food, sometimes you gotta work two job, or less appealing overnight shifts.. at least you usually get a pay premium for it- and theres no traffic : )