Wow - Maple Syrup actually good for diabetics!

Options
Fascinating study by the University of Rhode Island on how maple syrup may actually help TREAT diabetes and many other health ailments! (I fix 1/4 cup of hot Oat Bran cereal each morning and add 1 tbspn. of organic pure maple syrup - YUMM!)

http://www.uri.edu/news/releases/?id=5758

Replies

• Levedi
    Levedi Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Awesome! My uncle makes real maple syrup in Vermont and my dad has diabetes - they'll both get a kick out of hearing this.
  • SusanLovesToEat
    SusanLovesToEat Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Very interesting study.
    I've been trying Quinoa with rice milk, cinnamon, and a touch of maple syrup for a high protein breakfast. Its surprisingly tasty!
  • bslic
    bslic Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    oh that's awesome! I think I'll try it in my coffee. I give allow myself a few tsp of sweetner in my cup o coffee each a.m.
  • hanniejong
    hanniejong Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Awesome because I like maple syrup so migt add it to my cereal in the morning. Or I have a hot lemon drink in the morning could try it in there.

I keep hearing about quinoa, just what is it?
  • pinksparklevapor1965
    Options
    I love maple syrup -)*): :drinker:
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    [/b]“Producers, transformers and partners of the Canadian maple industry believe that investing in maple syrup knowledge and innovation will bring the products to another level in a few years,” said Serge Beaulieu, president of the Federation of Quebec Maple Syrup Producers and member of the Canadian Maple Industry Advisory Committee.
    “Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are especially proud to be leading this long-term innovative strategy on behalf of the Canadian industry and with the talented scientists of the Canadian Maple Innovation Network.”[/b]

:laugh:
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    [/b]“Producers, transformers and partners of the Canadian maple industry believe that investing in maple syrup knowledge and innovation will bring the products to another level in a few years,” said Serge Beaulieu, president of the Federation of Quebec Maple Syrup Producers and member of the Canadian Maple Industry Advisory Committee.
    “Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are especially proud to be leading this long-term innovative strategy on behalf of the Canadian industry and with the talented scientists of the Canadian Maple Innovation Network.”[/b]

Do you also giggle and dismiss research funded by the Atkins foundation?
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options

Yes.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I don't care if it's good for me or not. I grew up eating pure maple syrup and I just love it

The fake stuff from the store just can't compete!
  • Acg67
    Options

Yes.

Don't you often post the dietdoctor link, which references mult studies funded by the Atkins foundation?
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    just remember maple syrup and pancake syrup aren't necessarily the same thing. :laugh:
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options

Yes.

Don't you often post the dietdoctor link, which references mult studies funded by the Atkins foundation?
    Yes. But they're not all funded by Atkins and I think it's meaningful that all of the studies set up specifically to debunk an Atkins style diet and show just how dangerous it is haven't been able to.

ETA: And the reason why I don't put much stock in the Atkins any more is because they sell crap diet foods -- there's a huge conflict of interest there.
  • Cameo530
    Cameo530 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Hooray! I grew up helping my grandparents boil down real maple syrup each spring and now having to eat Log Cabin Sugar Free 'Syrup' makes me so sad.

Edited for lousy spelling
  • Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I will wait and until this study has been published in a peer review not the Universities website before I buy stock in Maple syrup. But thanks for the read.
  • nitepagan
    nitepagan Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Fascinating study by the University of Rhode Island on how maple syrup may actually help TREAT diabetes and many other health ailments! (I fix 1/4 cup of hot Oat Bran cereal each morning and add 1 tbspn. of organic pure maple syrup - YUMM!)

http://www.uri.edu/news/releases/?id=5758
    This is weird. Some guy at URI, I went to URI. RI does not produce any maple syrup, uses maple syrup from Quebec and discovers a chemical which he names quebecol. What happened to good old American Maple Syrup, isn't Vermont, New Hampshire or Maine Maple Syrup good enough. The chemical could have been named mainol or mainiacol. I really like the name Mainiacol. Kind of goes with the Maine logo. Instead of just being The Pine Tree State, we could have been The Pine Tree and Maple Syrup State. Now that would have been real cool.
  • Acg67
    Options

Yes.

Yes. But they're not all funded by Atkins and I think it's meaningful that all of the studies set up specifically to debunk an Atkins style diet and show just how dangerous it is haven't been able to.

ETA: And the reason why I don't put much stock in the Atkins any more is because they sell crap diet foods -- there's a huge conflict of interest there.

Are you sure they were all set up to show the safety or danger of an Atkins style diet? I'd read the studies listed again, also pay attention to design
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    theres a sugar free syrup by josephs its awesome. it taste like maple syrup to me.
  • nitepagan
    Options
    theres a sugar free syrup by josephs its awesome. it taste like maple syrup to me.
    What are they using for the sweetener, Most all artificial sweeteners have serious side effects, an unhealthy brew to say the least.
  • MsKetosis
    Options
    Great, now I can continue on endulging in my hot cocoa. I use organic cocao in raw milk with pure maple syrup. It is soooo good.
  • nitepagan
    Options
    The sweet ingredient in this syrup is maltitol, which has a glycemic index of 52, sugar(glucose) has a GI of 60. Basically it is expensive sugar. Also, it stops your diet loss and can have a laxative effect. Maltitol has 3 calories per gram, sugar is 4 calories per gram. They are both carbohydrates. The info comes from about.com.

For my money, maple syrup is still the syrup of choice for me.