Hot Yoga?

Options
Hey! Just wondering if anyone has a guess/estimate about how many calories I would burn from doing Hot Yoga. I'm 22, obviously female and at 196 right now. I was thinking about taking up classes at this place near my house and I think the sessions are about an hour long. Help! ;)

Replies

• RachFace1000
    RachFace1000 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Hi! I take hot power yoga classes and i'm 5'9, 18 years old and 155 lbs about. I believe I burn close to 300 calories during an hour long class. I highly recommend it! Very relaxing, yet you can feel it working your muscles and you come out sweating!
  • TheAshpie
    TheAshpie Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Seeing how I weigh more than you do, I'll probably burn a bit more. At least I have somewhat of a guess now! Thank you!
  • RachFace1000
    RachFace1000 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    My pleasure!
  • 1fiercebutterfly
    1fiercebutterfly Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi i do the Bikram yoga (hot room) and i am 29 female 182 lbs. I burn an avg of 600 calories. my class is 90 minutes.
  • Bridge_CG
    Bridge_CG Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I hear for hot yoga that it's like swimming vigorously for 60, 75 or 90 minutes in a pool! It is very relaxing, an amazing workout, I highly recommend it!
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I've taken hot yoga, it's nice and relaxing. Of course you burn calories since it's exercise, but you do lose water weight. Good balancing exercises. Be careful if you add it in as an exercise on MFP, I think they drastically overestimate the calories burned from it.
  • cear3381
    cear3381 Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi! Is it Bikram? if it is, the class is 90 minutes. Get ready to sweat a lot! Bring an extra change of clothes. As for the calories, if you google it, you find anything from 300 to 600, and even 900 calories claims. My experience with it, at first, probably you average 300/400 because you are learning and not pushing yourself as much ( and you are dealing with the heat). Give it a few classes to give it a fair try. I can really feel it when I am really focused, those days I think I can comfortably say I must burn about 500/600 - it feels like an hour of cardio.

It takes a lot of mental determination to keep your abs in all the time, your muscles contracted, your breathing at normal pace... all those things contribute to more calories burned. Enjoy it! You will get a lot more than a work out.
  • millie_de
    millie_de Posts: 55 Member
    Options
  • TheAshpie
    TheAshpie Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much! I'm not sure if it's Bikram, I'll check! I'm going to try to attend a class tomorrow after my microbiology class. Wow, so that sounds like a pretty decent exercise. Lately I've just been doing the Couch to 5k routine, just completed my first week tonight! Finally! As well as dancing around my room with my eight month old son and trying to teach myself to belly dance off of youtube videos. I really want to find some that I absolutely love to ensure I stick with it. I've done yoga before..On the Wiifit and really enjoyed it as well as much yoga videos while I was pregnant.
    What do you all recommend I wear? I have plenty of yoga pants, but wouldn't that be too hot? I feel like I should be asking if I can do it naked, it's sweaty enough just being in 90 degree weather, not to mention doing yoga.
  • BigRich822
    BigRich822 Posts: 681
    Options
    The yoga I take I usually burn around 400 calories session which is an hour long. I dont think its called hot yoga though.