fitness magazine

foxyforce
foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
i started to purchase this magazine months ago in hopes of sparking some motivation to move my butt into gear.
i am now obsessed with it and am waiting patiently for the july issue.
any other fitness mag readers?

Replies

• LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    i started to purchase this magazine months ago in hopes of sparking some motivation to move my butt into gear.

I like fitness, but LOVE Shape magazine.
  • colombiana444
    colombiana444 Posts: 133 Member
    I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE Self magazine. Subscription is cheap but very informative. they have great recepies, workouts, self-esteem columns, general health tips, and much more! i strongly recommend it.
  • foxyforce
    i don't know if i can try another one. maybe ill check it out at the library. i picked up women's health...and i hated it.
    nothing compares to fitness!:bigsmile:
  • hopeitworks
    hopeitworks Posts: 284 Member
    Fitness is ok. I like Oxygen Magazine. It has a lot of down to earth fitness tips, exercises, etc., and seems to be directed more towards the "average" woman.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    You guys really need to pick up a copy of OnFitness. It cuts through all the bull crap. Every article is awesome. Yes it's geared toward personal trainers and thus the articles can get a little technical, but man is there some great info in it. You can find it at a lot of Barnes and Noble bookstores. Alas it only comes out once every 2 months, but man, is it awesome!
  • foxyforce
    You guys really need to pick up a copy of OnFitness. It cuts through all the bull crap. Every article is awesome. Yes it's geared toward personal trainers and thus the articles can get a little technical, but man is there some great info in it. You can find it at a lot of Barnes and Noble bookstores. Alas it only comes out once every 2 months, but man, is it awesome!

does it have a lot of exercise routines in it? or techniques? i can't follow a magazines routines, i need a dvd for that.
  • stratdl
    stratdl Posts: 303 Member

I just checked it out online (www.onfitnessmag.com), and it looks really cool. According to the website, here's what's in the current issue:
    In this issue Volume 9#6
    May/ June 2009

Weights & Measures

Gladiator training secret; obesity and ovarian cancer link; training and advice from an Olympian trainer; knee care; kettlebell routine; you won’t believe what lives on gym mats; disorder that millions have; tips for finding the right gym; skin cancer guide; plus cool exercises, training tips and nutritional information.

Smart Training

Frank Zane: 3-time Mr. Olympia on developing your backside; getting that big bad bench press attitude; five ways to de-stress workouts; how lifting weights benefits heart health; key to shrinking size of abdominal fat cells; develop power with medicine ball training; unconventional low back routines; mastering the seated dip; plus alternative exercise routines.

Natural Health

The truth about Organic vs. conventional meats; why all the hype about antioxidants; the best supplement you’ve never heard about; the harm (or not?) of electromagnetic radiation; how exercise boosts immune function; effect of alcohol on exercise.

Trainers Forum

Take a look at the science: you’ve heard about the fat burning edge of exercising first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. But does science back this up? ; sculpt htose arms: easy guide for basic but effective arm routines.

The science of body transforming

Understanding why losing fat can be difficult.

5 blistering leg routines

Get ready – if you dare: killer leg workouts that involve poser, strength, speed, stamina and agility.

SOY: health food or ingeniously marketed waste product.

Has the soy industry duped us? And how? The shocking difference between fermented and unfermented soy.

I'm going to have to take a trip to B&N!!!

Thanks, Banks!!!!

Cheers, :drinker:
    Deborah
  • naugustyniak
    naugustyniak Posts: 836 Member
    I like Women's Health a lot too.
  • SHBoss1673

I just checked it out online (www.onfitnessmag.com), and it looks really cool. According to the website, here's what's in the current issue:
    In this issue Volume 9#6
    May/ June 2009

Weights & Measures

Gladiator training secret; obesity and ovarian cancer link; training and advice from an Olympian trainer; knee care; kettlebell routine; you won’t believe what lives on gym mats; disorder that millions have; tips for finding the right gym; skin cancer guide; plus cool exercises, training tips and nutritional information.

Smart Training

Frank Zane: 3-time Mr. Olympia on developing your backside; getting that big bad bench press attitude; five ways to de-stress workouts; how lifting weights benefits heart health; key to shrinking size of abdominal fat cells; develop power with medicine ball training; unconventional low back routines; mastering the seated dip; plus alternative exercise routines.

Natural Health

The truth about Organic vs. conventional meats; why all the hype about antioxidants; the best supplement you’ve never heard about; the harm (or not?) of electromagnetic radiation; how exercise boosts immune function; effect of alcohol on exercise.

Trainers Forum

Take a look at the science: you’ve heard about the fat burning edge of exercising first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. But does science back this up? ; sculpt htose arms: easy guide for basic but effective arm routines.

Get ready – if you dare: killer leg workouts that involve poser, strength, speed, stamina and agility.

Has the soy industry duped us? And how? The shocking difference between fermented and unfermented soy.

Thanks, Banks!!!!

Deborah

this was a good volume, but the one before this one was even better! The Soy article was scary!
  • foxyforce
    this was a good volume, but the one before this one was even better! The Soy article was scary!

did it talk about genetic modification?
  • 00Angela00
    00Angela00 Posts: 1,077 Member

I used to read that and self, my new obssession is prevention magazine :-D
  • SHBoss1673

Ahh, yeah, it touched on it. It went more into the effects of phytoestrogens and their effects on the human body though, it also hit on the differences between fermented and unfermented soy, big difference. Oh it also talked about why soy is in so many things (big business and how they figured out how to drum up a market for what essentially was a waste by-product up until the 80s)
  • foxyforce

Ahh, yeah, it touched on it. It went more into the effects of phytoestrogens and their effects on the human body though, it also hit on the differences between fermented and unfermented soy, big difference. Oh it also talked about why soy is in so many things (big business and how they figured out how to drum up a market for what essentially was a waste by-product up until the 80s)

i think im gonna pick up a copy!
  • mnichol
    mnichol Posts: 642

In this issue Volume 9#6
    May/ June 2009

Weights & Measures

Smart Training

Natural Health

Trainers Forum

Thanks, Banks!!!!

Deborah

what did it say about soy???? I eat boca burgers ALOT!!!! My hubby drinks soy milk every day!!

Do tell!!!
  • pannellkat
    pannellkat Posts: 709 Member
    I love fitness magazines, I ordered about 5 different ones lol. Shape is definitely my favorite though and I love looking at the success stories, it really does motivate you and they have awesome tips!
  • annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    I love fitness magazines, I ordered about 5 different ones lol. Shape is definitely my favorite though and I love looking at the success stories, it really does motivate you and they have awesome tips!

the success stories are my favorite - fitness used to have them but now cut them down to a half page for 3 people.

I get: shape, fitness, self, and redbook (it's got a mix of a lot of different magazines). The best is that I try to save them for the stepmill or the bike when I'm at the gym. the 30 min usually fly by and I read more articles than I would if I was sitting at home.
  • foxyforce
    i feel mad for posting this, because i am going to go buy a shape magazine and magazines can really add up $$$! so thanks a lot guys :tongue:
  • SHBoss1673

what did it say about soy???? I eat boca burgers ALOT!!!! My hubby drinks soy milk every day!!

Do tell!!!

Oh, it said a lot. you should buy it. I don't have it with me. It's put away with my old issues, but it's really a good article.
This discussion has been closed.