Overwhelmed with small children and tired

Options
url=http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker]202554.png[/url]
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

I love my kids but I am so tired all the time. I asked my doctor and he says I have 3 reasons to be tired. I started taking naps. I do find time for a 20 min walk/jog with the dog and situps but between cooking, cleaning, and laundry I am spent by afternoon. I am used to so much more but this all started about 6 months ago and all I want to do is sleep. Maybe I need to incorporate weights and eat differently.

Bagel breakfast
salad lunch
meat, rice, veggie
That is average but lately I eat everything I can stuff into my mouth. Maybe I just need a vacation...

Any tips to moms out there feeling the same way?

Jill

Replies

• tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    There's days where i feel worn out just doing the dishes... or so sleepy i can't get my day going i just want to lay around which is very hard to do with three very active little boys... My kids are 9, 6 and 9 months old and they never slow down... How old are your kids??? When i wake up feeling that way i try to get a morning walk in fresh air wakes you up better then coffee would also when i take my kids out to the park i try to be active with them and not just sit and watch them it keeps me from feeling tired cause im up and moving around... also water! water water.... if i drink soda, juice or even milk i feel tired i think it's the sugar's in them it gives me a little sugar rush and then i crash so i try to just drink water ... Are you eating alot of carbs?? and eat alot of Fruit its healthy and has natural sugar to give you a little boost when you need it... carbs are horriable those will make you fill heavy and have no energy... Also during the day i drink Green Tea it's has caffiene but not enough to make you feel like your gong to crash once it wears off... My kids wear me out to the max and im trying everything to keep up with them... im only 25 and should be able to run and play all day long with them...
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    How many calories have you been getting lately? That average doesn't sound like nearly enough.

Also, are you taking a mutivitamin?
  • Luludog1
    Luludog1 Posts: 119
    Options
    My fiance was having a similar issue. He was drinking 5-10 cups of coffe everyday just to make it through the work day. By the time he got home a night, he ate dinner and was off to bed...he could not get enough sleep.

He went to his Dr and got blood work test...turns out he was not producing enough testosterone. He uses a topical rub now and is great...

I realize testosterone is not your issue...but maybe you are not producing some essential hormones.

I would seek a second oppion.

Good luck !
  • 135gratitude
    135gratitude Posts: 364
    Options
    I was also thinking hormones....

I see that you are 46 - perimenopausal maybe? My girl Oprah talks a lot about this - it might be worth some research and seeing your doctor - many women were on her show, aged 45-55ish talking about symptoms which included exhaustion, weight gain, irritability, mild depression, low sex drive, etc.

Good luck!
    :flowerforyou:
  • debnu1
    debnu1 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Did the MD check your thyroid?? If you are sluggish in the bowels, dry skinned and tired that could definitely be the case. Also if you are not eating enough that would explain the cravings.

Good luck.
  • godsgrl
    godsgrl Posts: 49
    Options
    I was also thinking hormones....

Yeah, this is possible, but it could also be vitamin deficiencies. Do you take a good whole food multivitamin? You might need some extra to play catch up. I was absolutely exhausted after the birth of my second and never felt like I rebounded from pregnancy & the birth. I found out I was deficient in quite a few vitamins. It took about six months of taking some good vitamins to come completely back, but it slowly got better and now I feel great.

There are quite a few things that can cause this exhausted feeling -- hormones, deficiencies, thyroid problems, etc. The best bet is to see a good doctor. And I mean a GOOD one. Two doctors told me that it was just because I was a new mom (this was when my youngest was three years old!) and nothing was wrong with me. Chronic exhaustion is a symptom that SOMETHING is wrong or out of balance. Don't let anyone else tell you differently.
  • njjswim
    njjswim Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Wow some great advice I will definately go back to my doctor...Maybe hormones since that seems to be the culprit for so many things. I think part of my problem is that I just retired from a job and now looking for another that can fill my passion for what I like to do vice just getting by with a job I am not so into...
    Since leaving that job I have gained 10 lbs and that is enough right there to get anyone bummed..I need to stick with MFP this time and get the weight off and that would really help too...

Thanks
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Looking at the time of your last post and seeing you were up before 5 AM could be a reason you are tired. 7 - 8 hours of sleep is what is recommended. Are you getting that?

As well, are you just eating 3 meals a day or are you getting some snacks in there too. I was at a nutritionist on Wednesdaay and she said 6 meals a day. I have been trying to do that since and have already found a difference.

At your age, you are possibly peri-menopausal and there are weird things that start happening with your hormones and your body. It may be best to speak to your doctor about what you can do.
  • tvfit
    tvfit Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Nothing new to add, just my experience. Hypoactive thyroid and the only symptoms were lethargy and an inability to lose weight (seemingly hungry all the time). Now I'm on synthroid after being diagnosed. Also, I love my caffeine. I'll go from only drinking one cup of tea a day to my current (3 or 4 plus a free cup of coffee wherever I can grab one (the gym!)). When my caffeine consumption is high, I definitely get an afternoon low and i find it hard to be loving to (and active with) my children when I'm so tired ... so an afternoon cup of tea ...

Good luck finding your solution. Push your doctor for a thyroid test!