My easy substitute for pizza cravings...

Options

Replies

• autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Love pizza too!! Sounds yummy & easy to make is ALWAYS a big plus!! Thank for sharing.... :happy:
  • ❤lindsay❤dawn❤
    Options
    *bump*
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Pineapple is just so wrong on a pizza. :)
  • Meg177
    Meg177 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    You know I've known how to make alternative pizzas before...and still have never done it! What the heck am I waiting for!!!! I should keep those ingredients at work to make an easy lunch!!! Mine would be LOADED with peppers!!! Man I love my green and red peppers!!!

Lose the bread and stuff a pepper! Split in 1/2 and stuff with rice or quinoa and beans of some kind (I love adzuki), a little pizza sauce or even just a cut up tomato (salsa also works and is really low cal). A very little cheese and bake. One of my favorite...
  • summaryzn
    summaryzn Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    PIZZA IS MY all time take down - so this sounds RIGHT up my alley.. ESPECIALLY the suggestion for using pesto as the sauce. Lately I have been on a white pizza kick ( riccotta, mozzarella and garlic) - so this would be scrumptious enveloped by a pita with some grilled chicken perhaps. Good call! thanks for posting!
  • Des0528
    Des0528 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Sounds yummy! And I LOVE pizza! Thanks for sharing this!!
  • semeyer
    semeyer Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Yum! good idea!!

I have also made these:

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/mozzarella_stuffed_turkey_burgers.html

They are SO good and taste like a pizza sandwich =) It helped conquer my pizza craving!
  • Amymarie19715
    Options
    I love pizza to! Sounds good!
  • Bumdrahp
    Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I will definatley be trying ym own version on this!!! Thanks!!
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Sounds good! My problem is that I love PEPPERONI pizza and pepperonis are not a low cal food! It makes me want to cry! My TA recently introduced me to turkey pepperoni, which albeit is NOT the same, it still is an okay sub...might need to try this out with those!
  • Vanilli17
    Vanilli17 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    How much sugar is in this? I am finding that sugar is my downfall and seems to be abundant in everything, especially anything low fat.

Thanks!
  • court617
    court617 Posts: 65
    Options
    Awesome! I use English Muffins for pizzas and put some of the Hormel Turkey Pepperoni on it! Serving size is 17 of those things, but since they're tiny English Muffins, 3 pieces on each side works really well. Love my pizza!
  • chasityann32
    Options
    that sounds great. When i have a pizza craving, i use a portabella mushroom cap and the "crust". It give you less calories and literally no carbs and is amazing. I follow a lower carb diet, so for those of you out there that are watching your carbs and are trying to consume more complex carbs, along with your calories, make sure you count your grams of fiber. If a food has 12 grams of carbs and 4 grams of fiber, your net carb consumption is really 8 grams. :)
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Sounds good! I'll have to try that. In a pinch, half of a Palermo margharita pizza (large) has 390 calories in it. I just add a ton of mushrooms and veggies. The only downside is the sodium in it.:(
    Homemade is always better. Thanks for the post!
  • Edwin_S
    Edwin_S Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    My mouth is watering! I'm on a fat burner diet but I love the Za! Thanks for the contribution underthecherr.
  • stephenatl09
    stephenatl09 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Why all the "fat free" stuff? Fat is not bad for you...

edit to add link..

http://www.sott.net/articles/show/242516-Heart-Surgeon-Speaks-Out-On-What-Really-Causes-Heart-Disease
  • debtfre12
    debtfre12 Posts: 203
    Options
    I love pizza also, so this is a great alternative for us!!! Excellent Recipe!!! Thanks for sharing.:bigsmile:
  • MinkyMoo13
    MinkyMoo13 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I LOVE pizza. I could literally eat it everyday for the rest of my life! But being as I am controlling what I am eating, I found an alternative!

Ingredients:

1 whole wheat pita
    low-fat marinara sauce (you can also use fat free but it tastes too bland to me)
    fat free shredded cheese
    toppings (I use pineapple since I LOVE pineapple pizza)

Simply rip the pita in half, and stuff the sauce and toppings inside. Microwave for 45 seconds and done! So good! Almost like a calzone but much healthier!

Pita- 170 calories, 2 grams of fat, 35 carbs
    1/2 cup Low fat marinara - 60 calories, 0 fat, 12 carbs
    0.5 cup pineapple- 37 calories, 0 fat, 12 carbs
    1/4 cup Fat free shredded cheese- 45 calories, 0 fat, 2 carbs

The whole meal equals 312 calories, 2 grams of fat, and 61 carbs, 16 grams of protein. Not bad!

edit: If you need more protein, you can add some low fat pepperoni or other toppings:)

I made a batch of wholemal pita's in my freezer thay are about "60 cals eachi chopped up a pepperami and put on them as a peperonai substitute. I used mozerella and tomato puree and peopers, mushrooms and onrions too. They are so yummy! I also do them sometimes on a weight watchers tortilla.
  • LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I love to make my own pizza for lunch sometimes. Here in the UK we have these squareish wraps made by warburtons which I use for the base.

Sqaure(ish wrap
    Spread on passata
    Whatever veg you want I'm fussy so I tend to have... sweet corn, red onion, courgette, mushroom
    You can also add some wafer thin ham for extra protein
    Low fat feta cheese

Bung it in the oven for 10 mins and...nom.

The stats for this is..
    Per Serving: 244 (calories) 32 (carbs) 6 (fat) 14 (protein) 472 (sodium)

Goes nice with a big bowl of salad with a hard boiled egg...kinda wish I was having that for my lunch now :frown:
  • still_crafty
    still_crafty Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Pineapple is just so wrong on a pizza. :)

^^^^ I have to agree with this . . . no fish or fruit on my pizza. I used to say no fish, fruit or fungus but I do like the shrooms when they are fresh and not rubbery. I put them on my pizza at home but don't often order them on a pizza when I'm out cuz you never know what you'll end up with :)

I've used a low cal wrap for pizza before. makes for an ultra thin and crispy crust. also, the turkey pepperoni that someone else mentioned is good too. I've used turkey bacon on my pizza too. I love pizza, I could go on and on and on like Bubba about shrimp.