Girls... TOM

Options
Hi I just wondered if someone could help me.

It's currently my TOM, as of yesterday, and I haven't gained any weight this week, but i've been REALLY good and exercised loads and haven't lost any. I just wondered if anyone thinks this could be related to TOM? Do any of you experience difficulty losing weight in this time, and if I stick with eating well, do you think i'll lose when it's done?

Replies

• mummma
    mummma Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    with TOM its usually water retention and bloating... forget the scale til its over x
  • AmyB69
    AmyB69 Posts: 117
    Options
    Same problem here. Should start within the next day or two. I've still weighed, but I know right now, there's bloating and all that. When it's over, should be a nice little drop. At least there had better be! lol Still working out and following my plan.
    You'll be fine!
  • sonyalear2012
    sonyalear2012 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Mix 2 tsp apple cider vinegar and 2 tsp honey with 1/4 cup of hot water....at BF and Supper...this will flush u out...i do this everyday
  • Angelgirl040688
    Angelgirl040688 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    you can auctuall start to retain water up untill about a week befor your TOM.. so i dont worry about that the scale says till like 5 days after my TOM
  • mogletdeluxe
    mogletdeluxe Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I feel like the Michelin man when I have my period, and it's reflected not only on the scales but on my clothes and, specifically, my silver rings become a lot tighter.

I try and drink even more water than usual, even though I'm prone acorn-bladder during my period, to keep retention at bay. It obviously doesn't work :)
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Most women gain 2-7lbs before and during their period. Most women on this site will tell you that they don't weigh or measure themselves the week before or the week of because it isn't accurate since you're retaining so much water. It's normal and it will be gone when your period is done. No worries. I know a lot of women try and limit their sodium or whatever before they start and during - but I'm very irrational with food during those times, so I just make sure I get enough water. I know it'll all come right back off when I'm done. :)
  • laynunugawa
    laynunugawa Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    OMG I am going thru the bloating and water retention right now and I always do a week before I start my TOM. it sucks! I'm going to try the apple cider vinegar thing I heard that helps
  • laynunugawa
    laynunugawa Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Mix 2 tsp apple cider vinegar and 2 tsp honey with 1/4 cup of hot water....at BF and Supper...this will flush u out...i do this everyday
    Could I do this without the honey?
  • FoodieGal09
    FoodieGal09 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Mine was horrific this month because I'd just started the 30 DS as well. New exercise routine+ TOM= water retention for me.
    I still weighed myself but didn't panic (There was a great topic on here saying "unless you've eaten your TDEE plus 3500 cals, you have not put on weight!").
    My weight is coming back down now. So yes, in my opinion TOM definitely tries to mind**** you when you're trying to lose!
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, usually retain water and start bloating a few days before. But usually as soon as I start the bloating goes away, I have to take a lot of bathroom breaks at work because I drink so much water anyway. I remember I could never wear rings the few days before.

Just keep up your good work and don't worry about the scale right now.
  • KBside
    KBside Posts: 45
    Options
    I always have a gain, when its that time. It bums me out but then I just stick to it and the next week is always a good week.
  • mrs_kurz
    mrs_kurz Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I have like 5-6lbs to go so I'm really fustrated and would like to see myself down to 143. something in the next week or so.

First day of level 2 of the 30 days shred today and my stomach is killing me :S
  • hazelsmrf
    hazelsmrf Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I retain water around ovulation too. Lovely hormones!
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    here is what i would recommend and what i just started doing for myself. weigh only 2x a month. the week after tom and the week after ovulation. they are 2 weeks apart, typically. that way, you know your weight is probably close to accurate. if you weigh during those weeks right before TOM and right before ovulation (well, if i do) you'll get very frustrated. my next weigh is may 6 which is right after TOM and then not doing it again until May 20 b/c my cycles are set to 28 days. keeps me sane. then i dont' have to worry about whether the mysterious weight is there because i just don't weigh.
  • mabear74
    mabear74 Posts: 248
    Options
    here is what i would recommend and what i just started doing for myself. weigh only 2x a month. the week after tom and the week after ovulation. they are 2 weeks apart, typically. that way, you know your weight is probably close to accurate. if you weigh during those weeks right before TOM and right before ovulation (well, if i do) you'll get very frustrated. my next weigh is may 6 which is right after TOM and then not doing it again until May 20 b/c my cycles are set to 28 days. keeps me sane. then i dont' have to worry about whether the mysterious weight is there because i just don't weigh.

This is pretty much what I do also. I found I was much more succesful only weighing a few times a month. I wasn't stressing over the numbers anymore and it made a big difference in how I felt mentally.
  • _rosegray
    _rosegray Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    yes, 100%.. i used to notice big differences, and i feel really bloated too, it's horrible. i've just started a new pill though and i'm not getting them at all at the moment which i'm definitely not complaining about! i think the most important thing is to look at general weight loss trends rather than week-to-week because it's so dependent on timing etc :)