indian recipes pls

Options
pgfatty
pgfatty Posts: 43 Member
HI ALL

i would love some low fat indian receipes please.

and healthy roti recipes :happy:

thanks all

Replies

• shob1
    shob1 Posts: 1
    Options
    try making roti without oil and butter.
    Or try eating bajri rotla
  • fimary
    fimary Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    bump, thanks would like some as well
  • LoreleiWalks
    LoreleiWalks Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    This is one of my favorites. I usually serve it with packaged palak paneer (because I am too lazy to make everything from scratch), and sometimes a half piece of naan. If you have leftovers, they heat up nicely (crispy) in the toaster oven. Enjoy!

ROASTED CAULIFLOWER WITH INDIAN SPICES
    Oil spray or small amount of oil for coating baking sheet
    2 tablespoons oil
    1-2 tablespoons curry powder
    1 teaspoon chili powder
    1/4 teaspoon turmeric
    Salt & pepper to taste
    1-2 tablespoons corn starch
    1 large cauliflower, cleaned, trimmed and cut into bite-size pieces
    Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Lightly coat a large baking sheet with oil; set aside. In a large bowl, whisk together 2 tablespoons oil, seasonings, and corn starch. Add cauliflower pieces and toss well to coat with seasoning mixture. Spread evenly on prepared baking sheet. Roast 15 minutes. Gently move the cauliflower pieces around on the baking sheet, then roast another 10 minutes. To get a crispy texture, switch the oven to broil. Allow cauliflower to broil with the oven door open (and an eye on your veggies!) 3-5 minutes, or until lightly browned and crisp on the edges. Makes about 4 servings.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    I LOVE INDIAN FOOD. AND I MEAN LOVE
  • EmmaM2211
    EmmaM2211 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Bump - Indian is my absolute favourite food. Ever. Fact.

Always open to trying new (healthier) recipies! Looking forward to seeing what comes up! xx
  • ssonia29
    ssonia29 Posts: 30
    Options
    HI ALL

i would love some low fat indian receipes please.

and healthy roti recipes :happy:

thanks all

Hi,

Try this website below

www.sanjevkapoor.com ,
    www.tarladalal.com

www.manjulaskitchen.com this one has some gluten free recipe incase and easy to cook as well

these are with nutritional info so you would know how many cals you are consuming . one thing keep in mind is spices , keep it lower then mention in the site as its as per the indian taste

if you need more help let me know , i am indian

Hope it will help

Thanks,

Sonia
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I think this originally came from a Weight Watchers or Slimming World recipe book but I like it. We make it it big batches and freeze in two person portions. Then we defrost and add grilled chicken, prawns, vegetables, mushrooms, spinach or whatever we have. It's about 100 cals per person for the sauce.

It is kind of like a Rogan Josh style curry.

Onions - Raw, 1 large
    Fry Light - Sunflower Oil Spray*, 5 spray
    Chopped Tomatoes (Tin), 1 tin
    Spices - Chilli Powder, 1 teaspoon
    Spices - Paprika, 1 tsp
    Spice - Bay Leaves 1
    Spices - Cinnamon, ground, 1 tsp
    Spices - Cloves 4
    Spices - Whole Green Cardamom, 3
    Oxo - Vegetable Stock Cube, 1made up to about 350 mls
    Canderel - Granular Low Calorie Sweetener*, 5 teaspoon (0.5g)

Fry onion in the fry light until soft
    Add all powdered spices and fry for another min or so
    Add tomatoes, stock bay leaf, cloves and cardamom pods and simmer for about 30 mins
    Fish out all the cloves, pods and leaves and season to taste with the canderel (I sometimes add salt: If you are paranoid about sodium please feel free to have a heart attack about the sodium levels, if you are paranoid about artificial sweetners please feel free to substitute fully organic, made in your own back yard by a hive of bees you personally raised from lave, honey).
  • Andrealeah32
    Options
    bump -- love love love indian food and we often make ours from scratch b/c we live in a remote area and can't just order it!! I will post some great recipes for you :)
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Going out on Thursady night to a wonderful Indian restaurant for a dear friend's birthday.... Afraid to eat anything.
  • CherishQuick
    Options
    I guess if you make it at home you have some control of how much oil/salt etc is in it.
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    @Jeneba Tandoori dishes (meat marinaded in spices) are usually good when watching the cals. Avoid creamy sauces (Passanda/Korma etc). If you're watching the carbs rice and Nann breads are difficult, but most places would substitute these with a salad.

Or you could just say "to hell with it... it's not everyday" and eat what you fancy.
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    I love this blog. http://www.ecurry.com/blog/

Also, this looks great and I am definitely going to try it! http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/171608/veggie-thali

And this: http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes/pictures/27108/Top-20-vegetarian-recipes/8

Unfortunately, I don't have any roti recipes for you but I'm sure the google monster can help!
  • _kimberly
    _kimberly Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Here is a recipe for "Saag Paneer" from Healthy Girl's Kitchen. FAVORITE!! I'm making some today :)

http://healthygirlskitchen.blogspot.com/2011/05/crock-pot-saag-spinach-paneer-and-hgks.html
  • pgfatty
    pgfatty Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys for all your help :flowerforyou:

definately will visit this websites .....

take care :laugh:
  • lindrusso
    lindrusso Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I love Indian food! We have no Indian restaurants in our area, so I've learned to cook it at home.

Here's a link to a Cooking Light recipe: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/chickpea-spinach-curry-10000000354461/

It's very easy to make - one of those recipes where you get tons of flavor for very little effort. It's probably not the most authentic Indian dish ever, but it gives you that basic flavor profile.

I have the 660 Curries cookbook by Raghavan Iyer and it's fantastic. Not necessarily low-fat cooking, but you can cut the ghee and/or canola oil to your liking. A little ghee goes a long way, so I usually cut it in half and still get lots of flavor. The one drawback to this book is that unless you have a good Indian grocer nearby, there may be a lot of things you cannot find. I order things I can't find online through Kalustyan's in NYC.
  • Indolent
    Indolent Posts: 12
    Options
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4686/chicken-biryani

I've mad this a few times and really enjoyed it. It's from a section of 'one-pot' recipes. No need to worry about having a hundred and one frying pans, woks, grill pans, pots all going.

One pot only.
    One pot to clean only.

Great stuff!
  • captawesome
    captawesome Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Bump!!

I absolutely love indian food and use cayenne pepper like normal pepper! Saving this thread for sure :happy:
  • Fista
    Fista Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • Pspetal
    Pspetal Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I'm Indian and I find that many of our dishes take a long time to cook. You can't just add a few things together and make an Indian dish successfully unless you buy pre-packaged sauces which are full of calories and preservatives. I try to make it as healthy as possible so I can eat in large amounts. I can't snack in small quantities or stop before I'm very full. This recipe freezes well and makes many servings. This is my own healthy and surprisingly tasty recipe for Pav Bhaji, a very popular (somewhat unhealthy) Mumbai street food. It is eaten with a small glob of butter added to the plate, finely diced raw onions and lime juice sprinkled on top and soft white bread. I eat it with a 45 calorie per slice bread...

makes about 6-8 servings of 50 calories each

2 tomatoes diced
    1 cauliflower cut up into small pieces
    1 small potato diced
    1 small green pepper diced
    1 small onion diced
    1 tbsp Pav bhaji masala (can be found in any Indian grocery store)
    5-6 cloves of garlic and ginger (about the size of 2 cloves of garlic) crushed together
    cilantro
    salt to taste
    cayenne pepper (as much as can be tolerated)
    Juice of 1/2 a lime
    1-2 cups water to boil in

Ideally, you would saute the onions in about a tbsp of oil or butter and then add the tomatoes and the masala and cook it for a bit and THEN add the veggies. I cook it the way I do to completely avoid using oil or butter. It makes it super healthy!

-Simply put all the ingredients in a big pot and boil till very soft. Mash everything in the pot with a potato masher. If you don't have one, make sure all the veggies are diced very small before you put them in the pot.
    -Add more of the masala if needed and adjust the amount according to your tastes. Let it boil with the added masala for a bit before you add some more. The masala taste is more apparent after it cooks for a minute.
    -You can top it off with a little butter right before you eat it with any kind of bread.

I cook a lot of made-from-scratch Indian food on a daily basis and usually make it super healthy. If anyone wants any more Indian recipes, I'd be glad to provide them.
  • peacek
    peacek Posts: 211
    Options
    I am Indian and I love recipes from this website:
    http://www.vahrehvah.com/vareva.php