How to 5k... help please!

Options
So... this may sound like a dumb question but I don't know anybody well that does them so... how do you run a 5k? I mean... how do you find out about them and enter them and do they normally cost money to enter? I'm really interested but don't know where to start.

Replies

• msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Find a local running store. A lot of shoe or sports related stores are good places to look - or they can point you in a good direction. You can also see if there are local running clubs.

They usually cost about 10-15 dollars, some ask for you to fundraise as well with sponsors (though it's almost always optional to my knowledge). But usually that includes food, refreshments, and a tshirt.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    The post so nice, MFP posted it twice.
  • kandyjo
    kandyjo Posts: 4,648 Member
    Options
    So... this may sound like a dumb question but I don't know anybody well that does them so... how do you run a 5k? I mean... how do you find out about them and enter them and do they normally cost money to enter? I'm really interested but don't know where to start.

A lot of different oraganizations put them on for charity or for a good cause.... I know with Mary Kay (I'm a consultant) we do a 5 K in Dallas every year to benefit the Mary Kay Ash Charitable Foundation that donates to research into cancers that effect women and programs for woman and children affected by domestic violence.
    My suggestion would be to look into something that you feel strongly about and find an organization that offers a 5K for it :happy:
    Good Luck!!!
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    runningintheusa.com
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I found some in my area by googling "5K in Montana" I got quite a list - but was able to scan through and pick out some in my area and/or places I like to go. Some I would never have known about! The local sports store is a great idea also. Also, your local health club should know about some too.
  • vrdz3215
    vrdz3215 Posts: 493
    Options
    Try Active.com that is where I register for all my races....you have to pay an online fee if you register on line, but if you dont want to pay it there is usually a link to the organizers website and you can download a registration form and send it in.:happy:
  • leann_m_olson
    leann_m_olson Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    and yes they cost money($15-25 for a 5k) but you get a t-shirt and sometimes an award. They also provide water along the route and some sort of nourishment after. I usually judge whether I will return to a race by the t-shirt and the food at the end! Will Run for Food :laugh:
  • Learning2LoveMe
    Learning2LoveMe Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    Will Run for Food :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I found some 5k's in my area by doing a yahoo search for "Phoenix 5k". A bunch of hits came up. I'm looking at doing one in November for domestic violence. If I remember right the cost is about $20.
  • leann_m_olson
    leann_m_olson Posts: 363 Member
    Options

I found some 5k's in my area by doing a yahoo search for "Phoenix 5k". A bunch of hits came up. I'm looking at doing one in November for domestic violence. If I remember right the cost is about $20.

Yes the $$ usually goes to a good cause and i think can be written off on your taxes.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options

Yes the $$ usually goes to a good cause and i think can be written off on your taxes.
    I usually judge a race by what type of food they have at the end. I went to a 5miler once that handed out bags of chips and a soda. It was the last thing I wanted after running 5 miles up hill in vermont.

I also like Active.com. Sometimes their info is incorrect so if you find one, verify the info with another source.
  • PureAndHealthy
    Options
    You guys are just awesome. Thank you so much!!!
  • junkgypsy
    junkgypsy Posts: 217
    Options
    My page won't load some of the other posts, so I'm not sure if someone else has mentioned it...
    Google the 'Couch to 5k' plan.
    I'm starting it this week!
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    My page won't load some of the other posts, so I'm not sure if someone else has mentioned it...

Good Luck with the Couch to 5K. I just finished it and now I am on a plan from www.runnersworld.com for doing a 10k. It is great. It took by 4 months with my asthma but I kept at it and now things in life are so much easier.
  • Fausttt
    Fausttt Posts: 101
    Options

lol i'm TRYING to motivate myself into starting the c25k program :) i abhor running. but I do want to know i COULD run without killing myself, should i ever need to :)
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    I am in week 8 of Couch to 5K - I love it!!!