The last 10 lbs--at age 45...

Options
I have been a member on this site for almost a year I think...? ANYWAY, trying to lose 10lbs for what feels like 10 years....I am finally down to my 3.2 lbs left to lose... I am scared that I am going to suddenly gain or hit a plateau again...
Around May 6 or so I started really almost starving myself.- this worked for 3 lbs, but then I just stopped losing- I guess my body was going into starvation mode or something like that! I then started increasing my excercise and eating a little more. I excercised with weights, steady for about 20 minutes every morning, then I do 45 minutes on the elliptical-- i vary the intensity according to the songs I am listening to-- but I try to keep my heart rate around 117 to 130-- I am 45 years old and I think my resting heart rate is around 75? I am not sure though! ANYWAY, i do this 5 days a week, I then lost about 3 more lbs.. so I was psyched, I thought, more excercise must make it even faster, so I did another 20 to 30 minutes of aerobic activity in the afternoon, and I cut back on my calories-- i probably was consuming a net calorie intake of 900 or something-- i got on the scale the next week and had gained 3 lbs back! I finally decided that starving myself was not the answer, so I started eating more, but watching my carbs and fat, and trying to just eat better....the following week I had lost 1 lb-- so I am basically only losing about 1/2 to .8 lb a week now. I am excercising EVERY day though, and sometimes 2 x a day.... I am keeping my total net calories at about 1200-- so maybe I am still too low?
I really have cut back on my alcohol intake as well. Anyway, I do think steady and slow is the only way to keep it off, so I am continuing on to the best of my abilities-- Saturday is usually 1-1/2 hours at the gym to 1-3/4 hours because I don't like to excercise 2x on Saturday-- I'm ready for a beer or wine!
Sunday is a 6-7 mile walk at around 4mph.....
MY GOSH 45 is hard to get off weight and keep it off!!!!

Replies

• Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I'd eat several hundred more. Are you eating your exercise calories? With so little left, you probably should.
  • babydraco269
    Options
    part of why you plateau or even gain weight when you exercise is because muscle weighs more than fat, and when you do more exercise than your body really needs, it builds muscle, so don't stress about it too much, think of it as six-pack abs on the way!
  • Sparklene
    Sparklene Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    MY GOSH 45 is hard to get off weight and keep it off!!!!

I'm right there with you, only I'm 58. It's taken since September to lose 15, and now it's even slower.... Maybe by Christmas if I'm lucky. Hang in there. I know how you feel!!
  • JaneAusten
    JaneAusten Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Ditto Sparklene!:laugh:
  • mnichol
    mnichol Posts: 642
    Options
    Count me in on this club!! 52 and trying to lose last 10 lbs. Lets keep each other going and motivated!!!
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Hi folks! For those over 40 years old, please join us on the thread "40+ Club - Summertime Fun". We are a great group of people who will encourage each other without any negativity...only kindness and friendship. See you there!
  • 2catowner
    2catowner Posts: 94
    Options
    part of why you plateau or even gain weight when you exercise is because muscle weighs more than fat, and when you do more exercise than your body really needs, it builds muscle, so don't stress about it too much, think of it as six-pack abs on the way!

Wow, this makes me feel MUCH better--thank you! I know my clothes are quite a bit more loose.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    First of all you look great and have a lovely family.

Secondly, NEVER say you are 45 until AFTER your birthday:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

So at FOURTY FOUR it is so hard to lose. I am 48 and cannot believe how hard it is to shake this last tire from around my middle.

I remember in my 20s I was 135 and felt FAT and dropped 18 pounds in 8 weeks to go away on a beach trip in bikini (so glad I have pix to prove that one!!)

Now I have been at 137 or so for 6 months and cant shake it.

I know I have built up quite a bit of muscle, and what I have looks so much better than what I used to have, but sheesh I want 10 more pounds OFF. It isnt like I cant afford them, They certainly are not vanity pounds.

I am so jealous you are at the last 3:sad: :sad:

You look HOT!!:smokin:
  • cbuchinski
    cbuchinski Posts: 11
    Options
    Hi, I agree you look awesome.....I am 41 and have been having a tough time with the last 10 as well.....it has started coming off since I made a few changes......as posted to someone else yesterday with the same problem check out this link

http://www.nowloss.com/weight-loss-plan-to-lose-your-last-10-pounds.htm

it has helped me a ton.......eating 250 - 300 calorie meals 5 times a day, drinking a ton of water with lime wedges, and eating raw veggies with every meal seems to be the bump in the right direction for me. I switched to am excercise and increased the intensity and decreased the time of my workout. Still run for 35 mins though.

Good luck.....I know you will succeed!!!!!
  • 2catowner
    Options
    First of all you look great and have a lovely family.

Secondly, NEVER say you are 45 until AFTER your birthday:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

So at FOURTY FOUR it is so hard to lose. I am 48 and cannot believe how hard it is to shake this last tire from around my middle.

I remember in my 20s I was 135 and felt FAT and dropped 18 pounds in 8 weeks to go away on a beach trip in bikini (so glad I have pix to prove that one!!)

Now I have been at 137 or so for 6 months and cant shake it.

I know I have built up quite a bit of muscle, and what I have looks so much better than what I used to have, but sheesh I want 10 more pounds OFF. It isnt like I cant afford them, They certainly are not vanity pounds.

I am so jealous you are at the last 3:sad: :sad:

You look HOT!!:smokin:

Thanks!!! Now I know why I started back up on this website-- for all the great encouragement-- it helps a TON!!! You look good too-- sometimes I think we are our own worst critics--- because I always think everyone else looks better!! I think we will get there-- I have finally realized it takes time, time and more time, and I am developing more patience! I did a Billy Blanks Ultimate Tae Bo workout yesterday and that kicked MY BUtt!!
  • cardigirl
    cardigirl Posts: 492 Member
    Options

Muscle doesn't weigh more than fat, it just takes up less space. A pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat, but the pound of fat is much much bigger. Muscle is more dense and compact. This is why you can lose inches without losing a pound, because you're trading the fat for lean muscle.
  • cardigirl
    cardigirl Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I excercised with weights, steady for about 20 minutes every morning, then I do 45 minutes on the elliptical-- i vary the intensity according to the songs I am listening to-- but I try to keep my heart rate around 117 to 130-- I am 45 years old and I think my resting heart rate is around 75?

My trainer said that to figure out your max heart rate, take 220 minus your age, 45 which equals 175.

Then take your max heart rate, 175 and subtract your resting heart rate, 75 which equals 100.

Multiply 100 by .50 (minimum intensity) = 50 and add in resting heart rate, 75 which equals 125, which is your training range.

If you multiply 100 by .60 (max. intensity) = 60 + 75 = 135, so you are working out in a good range for you.

I think if you up your calories a bit, the last 3 lbs should come off. It just takes longer at this age, unfortunately.

You can do it!
  • 2catowner
    Options
    I excercised with weights, steady for about 20 minutes every morning, then I do 45 minutes on the elliptical-- i vary the intensity according to the songs I am listening to-- but I try to keep my heart rate around 117 to 130-- I am 45 years old and I think my resting heart rate is around 75?

My trainer said that to figure out your max heart rate, take 220 minus your age, 45 which equals 175.

Then take your max heart rate, 175 and subtract your resting heart rate, 75 which equals 100.

Multiply 100 by .50 (minimum intensity) = 50 and add in resting heart rate, 75 which equals 125, which is your training range.

If you multiply 100 by .60 (max. intensity) = 60 + 75 = 135, so you are working out in a good range for you.

I think if you up your calories a bit, the last 3 lbs should come off. It just takes longer at this age, unfortunately.

You can do it!

GREAT INFORMATIONS!!! Thank you for sharing!