protein powder absorption...I guess?

Options

Replies

• BBain75
    BBain75 Posts: 2
    Options
    I agree with the ON 100% Whey. I personally use the Extreme Milk Chocolate with water and I love it. I'm one of those that if it doesn't taste good, I am not taking it...no matter what it does. HAHA
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Anyone know of any brands that don't use artificial flavoring and salt? I'm assuming if I got something not flavored there would be no sucralose in it?

Some of the ON products are marked "Natural", meaning no artificial colors or sweeteners (not sure about sodium, probably minimal). I use their Natural Chocolate Whey which is sweetened with Stevia. Tastes good to me; I've gone through several 5 lb tubs of it.
  • BBain75
    BBain75 Posts: 2
    Options
    Be careful with Casein...that protein has been directly linked to increased chance of liver cancer. It occurs naturally in cow's milk, but I wouldn't load up on the stuff.

That is called "BroScience" as in, it's only facts in someone's head and not backed by any "solid" scientific evidence.
  • milf_n_cookies
    milf_n_cookies Posts: 2,244 Member
    Options
    On my nutritionists recommendation I tried Syntrax Nectars and Sweets and I like them a lot. I like that they have flavors beyond chocolate and vanilla (the Fuzzy Navel and Roadside Lemonade are my faves), 23 grams protein, no carbs and 100 cals per serving. There IS soy as an ingredient in these and some people like to avoid that, but since I do not eat anything else with soy in it I don't mind the small amount I get from these shakes.
  • maggiepz
    maggiepz Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I did some research and decided on the whey protein isolate. I'm sick of chocolate and vanilla and strawberry kinds so I picked Syntrax Nectar. You can get fruit flavors. I love the fuzzy navel. Whey isolate mixes so much better.

I'm also low carb. One scoop is 100 calories and 24gm protein with no carbs ( I usually make 24-32 ounces). Even if it has hidden carbs (they list a serving as 1/4 scoop with no carbs) so a whole scoop may have some, it would still have to be < 4gms which still works out ok for me.
  • bytemeeeeee
    bytemeeeeee Posts: 174
    Options
    Protein powder, I've never bought any, have little knowledge about it aside from the few pages on Google that I looked at. I've been thinking about adding it to my diet but have some questions. I'd appreciate it if anyone is able to answer any of these questions or point me in the right direction, thanks!

0. Can anyone suggest any readings or things to Google? Things to look for/avoid?

1. Ever buy a container of protein and regret it? Why?

2. I've heard people complain about things not 'blending' well or get to frothy. Is frothy bad? What types of protein blend into other foods (I hear whey isolate is best?)?

3. I know there's whey, casein, egg, hemp, and soy (can someone tell me the benefits/faults?). And that there's different 'types' of whey (isolate, cold something or other...). But no mention on different 'types' for the others. I've also heard people talking about certain types of whey absorbing into the body better then others. Which type(s) are better? Why? When I look at a ingredient list, what should I look for/avoid?

4. Flavors...Couldn't I just buy plain and add cocoa powder? Is this a bad idea? I don't plan on drinking it straight. Is there any flavored ones that do not add a ton of sugar? My sugars tend to run high already. I don't need it to taste fantastic but I also don't want to gag.

5. How do I know if a protein is 'complete'?

6. And what is this isolate, concentrate, cold-filtration, Cross Flow Micro filtration (CFM®) ultra filtration (UF), micro filtration (MF), reverse osmosis (RO), dynamic membrane filtration (DMF), ion exchange chromatography, (IEC), electro-ultrafiltration (EU), radial flow chromatography (RFC) and nano filtration (NF) stuff about?

Thanks guys!

http://www.rockwellnutrition.com/Whey-Cool-Powder-by-Designs-For-Health-DFH_p_1076.html

On the expensive side ...BUT...To me it's worth it..Organic...My doctor recommended it.

Suggested Use of Whey Cool

Mix one scoop (30 grams) in eight ounces of water or any other beverage (not hot). See PaleoMeal recipes for delicious smoothie and food combination ideas. Safe and especially recommended for pregnant and lactating women. The shelf life is two years especially if kept in a cool DRY place.

Whey Cool Whey Protein:
    View product label here. Whey Cool whey is created from fresh raw milk from (non-pesticide treated) grass fed cows (from happy USA Holstein Heifer cows) which have not been treated with antibiotics or growth hormone. This whey is not a by-product from the cheese industry. No animal or alcohol derivatives are used in the manufacturing. Manufactured in a facility with equipment that does NOT process nuts. .

These polypropylene containers contain NO BPA.

Ingredients: Plain Flavor | Vanilla Flavor | Chocolate Flavor

Plain Flavor Ingredients:
    Serving Size: 1 scoop (30 grams)
    Servings Per Container: 30

* Calories 120
    * Calories from Fat 18
    * Total Fat 2 g
    * Saturated Fat 0.9 g
    * Cholesterol 24 mg
    * Sodium 60 mg
    * Potassium 180 mg
    * Total Carbohydrates 3 g
    o Dietary Fiber 0 g
    o Sugars Alcohols 0 g
    * Protein 24 g
    * Calcium 120 mg
    * Iron 0.72 mg
    * Phosphorus 90 mg
    * Beta-lactoglobulin 14.6 g
    * Alpha-lactalbumin 3.51 g
    * Immunoglobulins 3 g
    * Bovine Serum Albumin 860 mg
    * Glycomacropeptides 15%
    * Lactoferrin 760 mg

WheyCool.jpg
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the quick replies everyone.

taso42, that's a nice little link

bytemeeeeee, thanks for listing all the info. It's a nice thought to know where the stuff is coming from.
    You asked earlier about any protein that we bought and hated.. unflavored is terrible.. my opinion yes but i dont see how anyone can actually drink that stuff. trust me the 80mg of sodium and 1g of sugar is well worth being able to enjoy what your drinking, i dont recomend the mint chocolate, or vanilla unless you plan on mixing with milk then both are great, rocky road is my favorite, don't overlook the fact that a disgusting tasting shake is tough to drink everyday haha

I was more along lines thinking I'd use half a scoop with some cocoa and cinnamon or something along those lines. Not to actually eat it alone...yeah...that would be quite the yuck :D
    Some of the ON products are marked "Natural", meaning no artificial colors or sweeteners (not sure about sodium, probably minimal). I use their Natural Chocolate Whey which is sweetened with Stevia. Tastes good to me; I've gone through several 5 lb tubs of it.

Thank you! That's good to know. I just picked up Stevia and tried it yesterday, interesting stuff.
    On my nutritionists recommendation I tried Syntrax Nectars and Sweets and I like them a lot. I like that they have flavors beyond chocolate and vanilla (the Fuzzy Navel and Roadside Lemonade are my faves), 23 grams protein, no carbs and 100 cals per serving. There IS soy as an ingredient in these and some people like to avoid that, but since I do not eat anything else with soy in it I don't mind the small amount I get from these shakes.

Thanks! I'm impressed. Do you grow your foods? I find it nearly impossible to buy anything without soy in it. It's added to just about everything these days. Pick up any loaf of bread at the grocery store, I'll be surprised if there's no soy in it. So I'm going to go with I have enough soy in my diet. Especially since I shop at grocery stores and it's been linked to cognitive and hormonal problems. Not all soy is evil, I'm not saying that...there's lots of nutrients in it...and there's lots of articles and youtube videos of doctors talking about the benefits and badness of soy. Popular topic these days. I can see how some people who try to limit their carbs and calories would appreciate it though. Thanks for posting.
  • smor27
    smor27 Posts: 87
    Options
    Bump to read later.
  • addict3
    addict3 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I like the syntrax nectars too. Right now i'm on GNC Pro wheybolic extreme 60. It's tasty and mixes great. It's a bit pricey but they send me specials where i get it half off and stock up. I do prefer the whey isolates. I have lost 166 lbs total and lost some muscle before I started using the whey isolates in September. Since then i've lost 115 lbs and not lost any muscle, even put a little back on. So I am a believer. Make sure if you are dieting that you get the proper amount of protein in, and if working out a protein drink with 25-30 grams of protein and some carbs (milk is a good source for both to mix with the powder) will help out afterward.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I use a blender bottle to mix my protein shakes. That eliminates the clumps. A blender also works fine.

Whey protein is available without any flavoring added. That's a good option if you make your own smoothies. You can add your own flavoring and sweetener, or add nothing and pretend you like the taste. :sick:
  • stef_e_b
    stef_e_b Posts: 593
    Options
    I just buy whey isolate from bulk barn. I've tried a few different shake mixes (equate, biggest loser, slim fast) and I found them all okay. I found they all tasted the same so I buy the cheep stuff and just flavour it on my own.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I use a blender bottle to mix my protein shakes. That eliminates the clumps. A blender also works fine.

Whey protein is available without any flavoring added. That's a good option if you make your own smoothies. You can add your own flavoring and sweetener, or add nothing and pretend you like the taste. :sick:
    LOL Thanks. I was thinking about adding cocoa and just picked up Stevia for the first time, but since the optimum nutrition 100% gold standard whey seems to use that maybe I'll go with that? Or maybe I'll go with plain so I can change the flavor at any time. I'm wondering if I try to flavor it, is it still going to taste like crap lol.

Anyone know much about the protein powders at the bulk barn like the person above mentioned? They have a couple different brands and flavors I was checking out the other day.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Anyway, in answer to your original questions I use Optimum Nutrition 100% gold standard whey - taste is pretty good (I have Vanilla Ice Cream and Chocolate at the moment but they have loads of flavors I want to try) but does clump a bit so I make my shakes in a blender.
  • HYBRIDXXX
    HYBRIDXXX Posts: 86
    Options
    BODY FORTRESS FROM WALMART OR KROGER GROCERY STORE IS 30 GRAMS OF PROTEIN PER SCOOP, 130 CALS, 2 CARBS AND LESS THAN 1 GRAM OF SUGAR. IT IS ALSO 98% LACTOSE FREE. WHEY ISOLATE:drinker:
  • fitbydons
    fitbydons Posts: 19
    Options
    What is the main reason to add to your diet? What are your goals?
  • drdswan
    drdswan Posts: 4
    Options
    Best thing to do is do your own research. There are so many products out there, so are amazing and taste amazing well others do now really nothing for you because there is no absorption of the nutrition. Everyone is different. Do your research and make up your own mind on the what you think is going to work for you. In Box me if you want to chat more privately.
  • Jennyisbusy
    Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I second the Optimum Nutrition Natural Chocolate, but I like the one without stevia and with very light cane juice (3 g sugar in a scoop).
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    Protein powder, I've never bought any, have little knowledge about it aside from the few pages on Google that I looked at. I've been thinking about adding it to my diet but have some questions. I'd appreciate it if anyone is able to answer any of these questions or point me in the right direction, thanks!

0. Can anyone suggest any readings or things to Google? Things to look for/avoid?

1. Ever buy a container of protein and regret it? Why?

2. I've heard people complain about things not 'blending' well or get to frothy. Is frothy bad? What types of protein blend into other foods (I hear whey isolate is best?)?

3. I know there's whey, casein, egg, hemp, and soy (can someone tell me the benefits/faults?). And that there's different 'types' of whey (isolate, cold something or other...). But no mention on different 'types' for the others. I've also heard people talking about certain types of whey absorbing into the body better then others. Which type(s) are better? Why? When I look at a ingredient list, what should I look for/avoid?

4. Flavors...Couldn't I just buy plain and add cocoa powder? Is this a bad idea? I don't plan on drinking it straight. Is there any flavored ones that do not add a ton of sugar? My sugars tend to run high already. I don't need it to taste fantastic but I also don't want to gag.

5. How do I know if a protein is 'complete'?

6. And what is this isolate, concentrate, cold-filtration, Cross Flow Micro filtration (CFM®) ultra filtration (UF), micro filtration (MF), reverse osmosis (RO), dynamic membrane filtration (DMF), ion exchange chromatography, (IEC), electro-ultrafiltration (EU), radial flow chromatography (RFC) and nano filtration (NF) stuff about?

Thanks guys!

1. Yes, because it wasnt quality protein and was filled with a bunch of filler crap therfore expensive in terms of how much protein i was buying... *cough* muscle milk *cough*

2. stir it well and you wont have problems... better yet put it into a blender if u really want it smooth

3. blah blah blah.. its a bunch of crap usually marketing ploys to get you to buy different products.. purchase whey protein because its the cheapest out of all the proteins and the absorbtion rate doesnt even matter if its hydrolized, isolate, concentrate er whatever the body will get it.. however amino acid profile is important you want ur proteins comming from complete proteins such as all of those supplements you listed and whole foods including eggs, meats, dairy... and dont really count proteins from nuts and vegetables as much. there is also BV value which is how good the body absorbs the protein and eggs i think is the highest BV value which is good followed by whey and then other animal meats

4. do whatever you want.. just find a protein you like and is cheap and stick with it.

5. if it has all of the essential amino acids.. there is a list online you can look it up but basically all protein supplements are complete proteins if they are derived from whey, caesin, egg, or soy

6. its all bullsh-t trying to get you to buy their products and overprice the stuff.. i used to work at a gnc and i would sell the most overpriced stuff to people just so i could hit numbers and make some commission. the stuff is all the same just get the cheapest one or better yet eat whole foods.
  • LatinaGordita
    LatinaGordita Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I like the syntrax nectars too. Right now i'm on GNC Pro wheybolic extreme 60. It's tasty and mixes great. It's a bit pricey but they send me specials where i get it half off and stock up. I do prefer the whey isolates. I have lost 166 lbs total and lost some muscle before I started using the whey isolates in September. Since then i've lost 115 lbs and not lost any muscle, even put a little back on. So I am a believer. Make sure if you are dieting that you get the proper amount of protein in, and if working out a protein drink with 25-30 grams of protein and some carbs (milk is a good source for both to mix with the powder) will help out afterward.

GNC Pro wheybolic extreme 60 is my favorite too. I like my results, i use it post work out.