Any breast feeding moms out there?

Options
I am the mom of a 5 week old and am on a mission to lose weight from both of my pregnancies. Does anyone know how many calories to add for breast feeding? I know the generalized amount is 300-500. I am thinking to use a lower number to be on the safe side, but I don't want to take away from my baby. HELP!

Replies

• Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of breastfeeding mom's on here. As long as you are exclusively breastfeeding, give yourself the extra 500 calories a day. As most of us can tell you, cutting your calories too much will only result in not losing weight, and very probably affecting your milk quality and supply.
  • acurtis82
    acurtis82 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • jennieodwyer
    jennieodwyer Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I started giving myself 500 extra and then worked from there. Adding more if I was losing too fast or not producing enough or subtracting some if I wasn't losing anything (but still monitoring my supply). Personally I ate an extra 300-500 and was able to lose weight and maintain a good supply but everyone is different. I recommend starting with the 500 and adjusting as needed.
  • kerrig73
    kerrig73 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am the MOM of a five month old Breast feeding at night and pumping during the day while at work. I looked it up on a lot of different web sites and it seems 500 is the number! Good luck!
  • campi_mama
    campi_mama Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    You can add it into your daily calories by typing "breastfeeding" into the food diary data base. There are several options. Don't cut back too drastically. I weaned my last 3 months ago. Was able to lose 50 lbs and still bf. Most important though is feeding bubs. The weight will come off if you eat good quality foods. Almonds are great while nursing as they will give your milk supply a natural boost. Lots of fruit, veggies, good fats and lean protein and you'll do great. Congrats on your new one. Remember, you didn't gain the weight overnight, don't expect it to come off overnight!
  • KitTheRoadie
    KitTheRoadie Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    My wife has been breast feeding our little boy for 9 months now, 6 months of that was exclusive and she has lost her pregnancy weight and a whole lot more! She was always told by the health visitor to eat at least 500 extra calories while it was exclusive, that's probably why I've ended up on here as I was basically eating the same as her! :wink:

I think part of the reason she doesn't want to stop feeding him is because she's lost all that weight so easily!
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    300-500, my lactation nurse said! I had to call them because I was worried about using whey protein while breastfeeding. I've had to do my own thing than the list of meals my trainer provided, but I've still been managing to lose 2lbs per week by adding on 300-500 calories daily to make sure my daughter is well fed too!
  • 8kidsmom
    8kidsmom Posts: 40
    Options
    I did not read all of the replies so someone may have already said this, but with a 5 week old you need to be eating 500+ calories extra daily. I would not compromise my milk supply for any amount of weight. Having nursed 7 of my 8 children I never had to try to loose the baby weight, by 6-8 months it was off IF I was eating healthy. If you exercise, you will need to eat those calories back too. Do not under eat when nursing, and stay well hydrated, Drink a glass of water ever.single.time the baby nurses! The weight will come off and you will be back to your pre-pregnancy self in no time! (on the side, I am loosing the weight from a pregnancy that miscarried very late and I have no constantly nursing baby to nurse the weight off for me, so I am having to work at it for the first time!)
  • NewChristina
    NewChristina Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I BF and agree with the other posters- 500. I was at my lowest weight in years while BF'ing. Good for you for making that decision in the first place! I only wish I had been a Fitness Pal during and after and I probably wouldn't have gained so much in the couple of years after. :flowerforyou:
  • 8kidsmom
    8kidsmom Posts: 40
    Options
    My wife has been breast feeding our little boy for 9 months now, 6 months of that was exclusive and she has lost her pregnancy weight and a whole lot more! She was always told by the health visitor to eat at least 500 extra calories while it was exclusive, that's probably why I've ended up on here as I was basically eating the same as her! :wink:

I think part of the reason she doesn't want to stop feeding him is because she's lost all that weight so easily!

~this
  • Meganalva
    Meganalva Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I just stopped breastfeeding my 9 month old and while exclusively breastfeeding/pumping, I added 500 cals a day. Just search "breastfeeding" in the food database & lots of options will come up. I lost all the baby weight. Was 125 pre-preg, 145 after baby, and I'm down to 120 now. :) Good luck to you!
  • mirfan25
    mirfan25 Posts: 45
    Options
    I'm nursing my now 5 mth old and started counting calories when she was 6 weeks, I always add an extra 500 calories and eat whenever I feel hungry (I make sure I'm actually hungry) i end up snacking a lot! Also when I was ready to start exercising, I also made sure to eat more (more or less eat all calories burned through exercise) so, I was eating 1200 + 500 + exercise calories... now I eat even more as I am pretty much on maintenance (reached my goal but could stand to lose 3-5 more lbs - but slowly) ... anyway this worked for me, lost 31 lbs since on mfp, 50 total since end of pregnancy.. this is my 2nd baby and ive lost even the weight I was carrying from my first pregnancy ...

Wishing you the best and Congrats your little one!!!
  • Alexis14351
    Options
    I've been nursing for almost 7 months with my second kid, I also try to make sure I'm never netting below 1800, that seems to be my current cut-off for calorie needs to continue producing (it was much higher in the beginning). Good luck!
  • phatmummy83
    Options
    I am determined to lose weight now from 2 pregnancies. i am exclusively breast feeding my 5 week old daughter and starting today i'm on a mission to lose the weight. any tips would be welcome ladies!! x
  • vmessyness
    vmessyness Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    no longer nursing, i just weened my daughter a few months shy of her fourth birthday. but wanted to say that you ladys are total rockstars for nursing and losing weight at the same time. :)
  • bfbooty
    bfbooty Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    if you are exclusively bf as in no formula top ups then you NEED to eat 500 cals extra a day also wait till you have had your 6 week check up with your dr before you start to diet and you get the all clear.