Sports lessons too expensive

Options
So I know I did a sample class of Tae Kwon Do before because I thought it would be a great way to stay in shape. And I was right after only about 30 minutes I was sweating and out of breath but I felt great, theeeeeen I saw the price tag to start classes. 3 month contract adding up to around 1000 bucks. I can't afford that and after my last job went out of business I don't want to lock myself into a long term contract in case I lose my job and can't make the payments. So I looked around at a few other fun sports like Boxing and other things, but the money is about the same. Is there any way to get involved in these sports without giving up my right arm and left leg? When I was a lot younger I did fencing and I payed 20 bucks for a fencing glove and they loaned the rest of the equipment to me and I just gave it back when I left. Are there any clubs out there that won't charge an insane amount of money? or am I doomed to just do squats while looking at myself in the mirror in a sweaty smelly gym every day?