Tips for eating after 8pm

Options
I do fabulous all day and then once I get the kids in bed I struggle with my old late night snacking habits. I've tried only snacking on raw veggies, brushing my teeth, etc. However, a couple times a week I lose it and have a minor binge. I will say its not on cookies or other carbs like I used to but I'm still not happy with myself when I make those poor choices. For example: last night at 8pm I had 4oz of ground sirloin, 1/2 cup of rutabaga and an ounce of cheese, not horrible if consumed at 5pm but terrible after 8pm.

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    There's no reason not to eat late unless it disturbs your digestion. It has no impact on weight loss. (Unless it puts you over your goal... but then the timing still doesn't matter.) Sounds like a nice meal.

PS That's not a binge.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Not trying to be argumentative but I don't think you should worry about it. It's better to eat a little later than to not eat dinner at all IMO.

ETA: What kind of cheese? lol
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Doesn't really sound that bad. Probably around 300-400 calories right? I usually snack on peanut butter, cereal, skinny cow ice cream all right around 200-300 calories except the skinny cow. Snacking at or after 8 isn't that bad especially if you are active.
  • hazelsmrf
    hazelsmrf Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    If you know that you always like eating at 8pm, then save some calories and eat something at 8pm. It's no worse to eat it at 8pm than eat it at 5pm. Maybe push your supper back a bit and have a late supper?
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I usually eat dinner anywhere between 8pm-10pm every night, sometimes as late as 10:30pm... I have lost a little over 20lbs since the end of January. My dinners are usually in the 400-600 calorie range, sometimes higher carb, sometimes higher protein. It really doesn't matter as long as you meet your calorie goals, which I usually do, especially if I've exercised in the evening, which is the only time I really can.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I do fabulous all day and then once I get the kids in bed I struggle with my old late night snacking habits. I've tried only snacking on raw veggies, brushing my teeth, etc. However, a couple times a week I lose it and have a minor binge. I will say its not on cookies or other carbs like I used to but I'm still not happy with myself when I make those poor choices. For example: last night at 8pm I had 4oz of ground sirloin, 1/2 cup of rutabaga and an ounce of cheese, not horrible if consumed at 5pm but terrible after 8pm.

Why is it ok to eat it at 5PM but not 8PM?:huh:
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I typically eat 500-1000 calories after 10pm every night. The only tip I can give you is to use your teeth and chew well, so you minimize the risk of choking.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Skip breakfast and save the cals for a nightly snack.
  • helenwilliams78
    helenwilliams78 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    As long as you're within your calorie goal I wouldn't worry about it!
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that's a small meal/snack. I eat that in calories at least five times a week after midnight. Great thing is that calories can't tell time.
  • kilojoule
    kilojoule Posts: 74
    Options
    i like to snack before bed also. I dont fight it i just monitor my calorie intake so i can eat a large dinner (1000+ calorie usually) and after dinner i may snack on baby carrots, celery stalks or grapes.

Lately ive been having a casein based protein shake mixed with almond milk and that has been working well as the protein satiates my appetite. Like others have said at least for me its calorie in calorie out so its easy for me to hoard calories during the day while at work and at night I have plenty to spare :-)
  • sarah2954
    sarah2954 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    :huh:
    The only tip I can give you is to use your teeth and chew well, so you minimize the risk of choking.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    I really don't understand the stigma the last couple of days about eating late. Weight loss/gain is all (mostly) about "energy in - energy out = accumulation". It really doesn't matter when you eat it as long as it fits in your calorie and nutrition goals. I have lost about 95 lbs so far over the last year and a half and I eat 400-500 calories every night within an hour of going to bed.

Technically, some of it probably gets stored as fat temporarily but is used up overnight or early the next morning if you are at a calorie deficit.
  • amy22076
    amy22076 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have this same problem I was doing so good for months not snacking at night. but now iam doing it again. I have cheese , lightly salted chips and lately ice cream. But I have been saving calories cause i know sometimes i will snack. But i do work out 5 days a week now and dont sit on the sofa that much anymore.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Actually so long as you're within your calorie goal it doesn't matter what time you eat larger meals. That old 8pm myth has been debunked and only really still applies if the digestion process seems to be affecting your sleep patterns.

I do have evening cravings though - I found it useful to drink a big glass of water with Benefiber in it. It helps fight off the cravings until I get in bed. Or, sometimes, if they're too strong, I just get in bed early instead.
  • scottywor
    scottywor Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    As long as you hit your macros, and ya dont go way over your caloric intake, it doesnt matter when you eat... Similar to Barreira, I eat my last snack at 8pm every night... just stay away from crap choices...

I do however front load my intake, I eat the most cals at breakfast, and it drops from there. By the time i have an evening snack its only about 200-300 cals, and it finishes my day, and nails my macros n calorie intake.

58 pounds in not even 4 months...doenst lie... Its all about food choices and not time!
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    for several months, I had an evening treat, usually a package of Thinsations or a pice of pullnpeel licorse, sometimes a handful of chips. I was steadily losing, for an unknown reason, I stopped doing this and my weight loss also stopped. I think I needed those calories and I always looked forward to my evening snack. No reason now to have a snack, the time frame from dinner to breakfast is quite long and I think an evening snack is a good thing.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    <sigh> It doesn't matter when you eat if you stay within your daily calorie bank. :yawn:
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Least it wasn't carbs or you'd be screwed.....They're like gremlins......Don't feed em late at night.
  • stephm112
    stephm112 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I'm always starving once I've put my daughter to bed as I eat with her at 5 so come 8pm hunger strikes!!! I found having a banana (baked or raw) with some natural fat free yoghurt and some honey is yummy! (I do a low fat diet so it's perfect for me 0% fat) otherwise if I don't fancy that I have a little cup of hot chocolate (with skimmed milk) and it takes the edge away.