Runnign and water bottles

Options
wwk10
wwk10 Posts: 244 Member
Do you have a good method for carrying water?
I run 3 miles and hope to get up to 6.
I dont get thirsty, but sometimes the wind and my panting dries my mouth out.
Is there a convenient way to carry a small amount (12oz or less) of water?

Thanks

Replies

• sapalee
    sapalee Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    They have some that have a strap and curve to fit your hand, we have one but I can't remember the brand, surprisingly comfy, I end up dumping it on myself when it's really hot. We got it at our local runnign store.
  • natboosh69
    natboosh69 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I usually just hold either 2 small bottles of water or 1 big bottle, you can use them as weights :)
  • workout_junkee
    workout_junkee Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I have a handheld water bottle by Nathan. I really like it.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I invested in a hydration belt - best purchase ever! They have them at my local running store and online. Mine is by nathan. It holds 32 oz of water, my cell phone, energy gummies and my keys.
  • kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I actually have one that's supposed to be for gu apparently, but it's a small bottle that fits on my belt.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I use http://www.amazon.com/FuelBelt-Sprint-10-Ounce-Holder-Pocket/dp/B0019MT4Y6/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1335369877&sr=8-18 and I like it because it balances the weight of my iPhone well. That said, when you are running for less than an hour, water drinking is psychological. I do it too though, I like water for anything over half an hour
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I have a fanny pack that has a water bottle "holster" for long runs, but for shorter runs, I just carry grapes, sometimes jelly beans, to keep me from feeling too parched.
  • wwk10
    Options
    Thanks everyone.
    Award30 you are right that I dont need water on a short run
    Its not about hydration. Its about the wind whipping and drying my mouth out.
    I hold my cell phone in my hand (have to DJ my music)

I think I want a belt that hold a 12oz bottle to the small of myback without bouncing around too much.
  • wwk10
    Options
    Grapes are a good idea.
    The only problem with that is sand.
    I run on the beach and have to wade across a water filled gully to get to the part I like to run on.
    This means I put socks on and take them off at the beach.
    This means the pockets of my shorts and everything else has sand in it.
  • leahbhollifield
    Options
    I carry the Nathan QuickShot Plus on my shorter runs. It holds 10oz, and the pocket is large enough to carry ID, cash, Chapstick, and a smaller phone (although I can force my iPhone to fit if I have to). I really like the hand strap, and it's really comfortable to carry.

http://www.amazon.com/Nathan-QuickShot-10-oz-Handheld-Bottle/dp/B007144798
  • DawnVanSlim
    DawnVanSlim Posts: 10,471
    Options
    I have a fanny pack that has a water bottle "holster" for long runs, but for shorter runs, I just carry grapes, sometimes jelly beans, to keep me from feeling too parched.

Grapes! This is brilliant!! What an easy way to wet your mouth when you need it! I am going to try this out! Thank you! Do you freeze the grapes before your run? What do you carry them in? I mean I know you only need a few. Do you just carry them in your hand?
  • coopersmom2006
    Options
    I have a Nathan Hydration Belt that has 2 water bottles on it. Comfy and leaves my hands free. I tried running with a bottle in my hand and hated it!
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    bump to read later ;)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone.
    Award30 you are right that I dont need water on a short run
    Its not about hydration. Its about the wind whipping and drying my mouth out.
    I hold my cell phone in my hand (have to DJ my music)

I think I want a belt that hold a 12oz bottle to the small of myback without bouncing around too much.

I have one of the belts that holds the bottle at an angle in the small of my back and I hate it - the belt isn't elastic and it loosens a bit as I run and the bottle starts bouncing. I don't know if they're available with an elastic belt but if they are go for that option, personally I'll be picking up a fuel belt with a couple of 250ml bottles & maybe a gel flask to replace mine.