Best Unrefrigerated Snack

Options
I need some suggestions of snacks that I can throw in a backpack and take anywhere. Almonds are the first to come to mind, but I need some high-protein, kick-butt things that will fuel me right and keep me on track. Most grab-and-go I've found (and eaten) stuff should be labeled garbage-and-go.

Thanks (and I don't usually use that many hyphens in a single post) :)

Replies

• Susan923
    Susan923 Posts: 61
    Options
    Bananas, I love Kashi bars, throw kashi cereal in a baggie
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I take tins of tuna/sardines and a fork with me on hikes/climbs. They're not the perfect snack as you have to take a plastic bag and carry rubbish with you (which is no less bulky) but it works for me.
    I've also been known to grab a quorn burger in an individual wrapper for my lunch.
  • kewkdb
    kewkdb Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I have a sandwich bag full of peanuts, almonds, and walnuts (unsalted). You have to be very careful and monitor the amount you consume, though. Because they are VERY calorie dense.
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    beef jerky
    package of tuna - they have some with different seasonings so its not just plain tuna
  • blmr85
    blmr85 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    pistacios, love them!!
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    almonds, lara bars
  • udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Protein bars are always good.
  • Kylieikerd
    Options
    Banana chips, apples, pretzels
  • gamehen2
    gamehen2 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Cliff Bars: good protein and satisfying.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    I invested a few dollars in an insulated lunch bag and cold pack. They don't add a lot of bulk to my bag, especially when empty, and allow me to take yogurt, boiled eggs, cheese sticks, etc.

Fruit is always a good option. Bananas are yummy but I hate if they get bruised. Apples work well. Veggies are a good option too - we get red peppers, celery, carrots, and broccoli and chop them up and keep baggies in the fridge. They are easy to grab and go, and last ok without cooling (although I prefer them chilled, hence the cooler bag)
  • kidbxrs
    kidbxrs Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Luna Bars, fruit, peanut butter and crackers
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    No sugar added applesauce

baby carrots - these won't keep for days. But pack a baggie each day.

Make your own "trail mix" - popped corn, raisins (or other dried fruit) low fat wheat thins, pretzel sticks, roasted edamame, etc.