Plain Instant Oatmeal

Options
doorki
doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
So, I have Quaker Instant Oatmeal everyday for breakfast and I buy the bulk box from Costco with four flavors - Original (plain), Apples and Cinnamon, Maple and Brown Sugar, and Sugar and Spice (or something like that). I like all of the flavors except for Original so I have bags and bags of this stuff. Any ideas or recipes to use them up?

Replies

• amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Gradually mix them in with the flavored ones.

You could just make a double batch - 1 packet flavored, 1 packet plain & mix it all together. Then eat half one day, half the next.
  • tomusiakl
    tomusiakl Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Just add some cinnamon powder to it and it will be great.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Uh, put things in them? Why can't you add apples and cinnamon or maple and brown sugar yourself?
  • doorki
    Options
    Uh, put things in them? Why can't you add apples and cinnamon or maple and brown sugar yourself?

I like the portion control and I am usually eating them at my desk out of a dixie cup.
  • doorki
    Options

You could just make a double batch - 1 packet flavored, 1 packet plain & mix it all together. Then eat half one day, half the next.

I tried that but when left to the side for a short amount of time, they tend to take on the same properties as cement.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options

I like the portion control and I am usually eating them at my desk out of a dixie cup.
    Look, if you aren't comfortable adding some cinnamon to your oatmeal then I don't know what you want. You can't do anything with it if you aren't going to add things to it.
  • doorki
    Options
    Just add some cinnamon powder to it and it will be great.

Hmmm....may have to look into this. Thanks.
  • doorki
    Options

Look, if you aren't comfortable adding some cinnamon to your oatmeal then I don't know what you want. You can't do anything with it if you aren't going to add things to it.

easy lol. I had not realized that plain instant oatmeal was one of your touchy issues lol. I was thinking of maybe cookies or maybe a coating for some meal at dinner rather than breadcrumbs.
  • NICOLED73
    NICOLED73 Posts: 183
    Options
    Cinnamon and splenda if you need the little bit of sweet.
  • britcurl
    britcurl Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I add some cinnamon and some TruVia to mine and its pretty good!
  • bridiew
    bridiew Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    add powdered sweetners and nutmeg yummmy and both things easy to carry round and hide :)
  • dmanning0819
    dmanning0819 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I buy plain oatmeal and add splenda and cinnamon to mine. Pretty much the same calories as the other.
  • love9705
    love9705 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    add a little cinnamon, chop some apples and one pack of splenda it will taste like the apple and cinnamon one.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Add whatever you have on hand-- cinnamon, nuts, fresh or dried fruit, a spoonful of jam, peanut butter, nutella. You can even do a savory oatmeal with olive oil and parmesean, or soy sauce and scallions, but I realize most people find that weird.

Or you can send them to me. :) I only eat the plain kind.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options

I tried that but when left to the side for a short amount of time, they tend to take on the same properties as cement.

Set aside half of the DRY oatmeal for your next serving.
  • toasterlisa
    toasterlisa Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'm going to jump off topic a little bit, but have you looked closely at the nutrition information for Quaker Instant Oatmeal?
    http://www.quakeroats.com/Libraries/pdf/Oatmeal_Nutrition_Facts.sflb.ashx

There is very little protein and a lot of sugar. If I ate that for breakfast, I'd be starving again by 10:00am.

I have some nice recipes for baked goods that use oatmeal, but they all say NOT to use instant. You could find an oatmeal cookie recipe to use up those original packets.

Best wishes on your health and wellness journey,
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Here's a bunch of different ideas for "add ins" you can try:

add a spoonful of peanut butter

add cinnamon and sliced banana

add a little protein powder (vanilla or chocolate)

add 1/4 cup nuts (chopped walnuts, sliced almonds, etc)

add some raisins

add a little raspberry jam

I eat oatmeal every morning for breakfast so I am learning to be creative ;)

just a thought--if you buy the "quick oats" (not instant) they cook in the microwave in 1 minute and are cheaper and better for you than the "plain instant" which still has tons of sugar and preservatives, etc. And you can still add stuff to make them taste great :)
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Add about 2 tsp of sugar and 2 tbsp of peanut butter. I hardly ever skip a day.
  • kenyajae
    kenyajae Posts: 48
    Options
    I mix in a cup of defrosted frozen blueberries. I find it to be more filling than the flavored oatmeals with about the same number of calories.
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Peanutbutter or protein powder in my oats, everyday