am i cheating by counting cooking and cleaning as cardio?

Options
167891012»

Replies

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Once again..... SEDENTARY does NOT MEAN COMATOSE.

SEDENTARY still includes NORMAL EVERYDAY ACTIVITY LIKE COOKING AND LIGHT CLEANING and basic moving from point A to point B in a fashion that does not increase your heart rate.

CARDIO means something that gets your heart rate UP. Daily cooking and light cleaning are NOT going to cause me to increase fitness. Except you know, from the aspect of cooking healthy things.

By that logic, should I log how many times I remote control when I am sitting on the couch? How about how much I move my fingers typing? How about that texting marathon? How about when I drink 12 glasses of water and require 5 extra trips to the bathroom? Does extra steps help? Sure it does but it doesn't go on the log as CARDIO.

"Cardiovascular exercise is any type of exercise that increases the work of the heart and lungs," says Tommy Boone, PhD, a founding member of the American Society of Exercise Physiologists. "Walking, jogging, and running are common forms of cardiovascular, or aerobic, exercise."

Unless you are repeatedly lifting that sack of potatoes until you can't lift it any more, or walking continuously until your heart is pumping hard, it ain't CARDIO.

Again: "Cardiovascular exercise is any type of exercise that increases the work of the heart and lungs,"
  • osualex
    osualex Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I use the sports bra rule - if I don't need a sports bra for it (except for swimming, obvs) then it doesn't count. I don't count cleaning, cooking, my 5 minute walk to school, going up and down stairs...if it's just part of day-to-day living it doesn't count to me.
  • csalm
    csalm Posts: 4
    Options
    I normally clean and cook for about 2 hours a day everyday, so I subtract what I would normally do and just log what I go over.
  • tanyaleighcummings
    Options
    Wow. I am disappointed to see how many here are so agro over this. Yes the op is asking for an opinion...why can't we leave our differing opinions and leave it at that? Why attack people's opinions that didn't ask for yours?

I will continue to do my program my way and support others to do it theirs. I am new at this, admittedly, but what I am doing is working for me. If it didn't I would try something else.

I keep my calorie goal low and my activity level as lightly active since I am an in-home nurse. If I get cranky I have learned to go eat something more. I don't attack others. Eat half of a banana or whatever and log it.
  • deksgrl
    Options
    I am only aggravated with the people who keep saying it is fine as long as you are set to sedentary. To keep perpetuating that idea is doing the OP a disservice I believe. I hope the OP is not taking offense, but weighing the information to make the best choices.
  • SusanLovesToEat
    SusanLovesToEat Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    no if your activity level is set to sedentary...

I agree-if you normally sit at a desk all day then housecleaning is light to medium activity. After I wash our floor to ceiling windows and scrub the floors I'm sweating like a pig. That counts.

Cooking is more like everyday activity and probably doesn't.

More of a worry is why you feel the need to beat yourself up over this. Perhaps you need to take a break for a few weeks and get yourself well. Just set your limits a bit higher and breath.
  • ThinMint_Stac
    ThinMint_Stac Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    if i know that i am going to cleaning both levels of my house i wear my HRM. going up and down stairs, mopping, vacuuming,laundry for 5, cleaning 3 bathrooms(with two boys that "never" miss) Heck ya i count it and don't feel bad about it!!!:-)
  • DarkFlutter
    DarkFlutter Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    my life has been so hectic lately and I've been dealing with a recurrent sinus infection. I haven't worked out in weeks!!! I feel crappy, but I'm really trying to stay in my calorie range. So far, I've been pretty good about it (considering my history). That being said, I've been counting my cooking and cleaning as cardio. I'm trying any way that I can to keep my motivation up to continue counting. I keep thinking that this is cheating. Does anyone have any insight on this? Am I cheating or does this seem accruate?

It wouldn't be an option if it didn't count :smile:
  • beth_816
    beth_816 Posts: 19
    Options
    Love this answer!
  • katysmelly
    katysmelly Posts: 380 Member
    Options

SEDENTARY still includes NORMAL EVERYDAY ACTIVITY LIKE COOKING AND LIGHT CLEANING and basic moving from point A to point B in a fashion that does not increase your heart rate.

CARDIO means something that gets your heart rate UP. Daily cooking and light cleaning are NOT going to cause me to increase fitness. Except you know, from the aspect of cooking healthy things.

By that logic, should I log how many times I remote control when I am sitting on the couch? How about how much I move my fingers typing? How about that texting marathon? How about when I drink 12 glasses of water and require 5 extra trips to the bathroom? Does extra steps help? Sure it does but it doesn't go on the log as CARDIO.

"Cardiovascular exercise is any type of exercise that increases the work of the heart and lungs," says Tommy Boone, PhD, a founding member of the American Society of Exercise Physiologists. "Walking, jogging, and running are common forms of cardiovascular, or aerobic, exercise."

Unless you are repeatedly lifting that sack of potatoes until you can't lift it any more, or walking continuously until your heart is pumping hard, it ain't CARDIO.

Again: "Cardiovascular exercise is any type of exercise that increases the work of the heart and lungs,"

Walking at a moderate pace does do that.

If someone who is generally sedentary starts walking every evening for an hour, at 3 miles per hour, they are burning calories. 3 miles per hour for an average person will not make them all sweaty or out of breath. Their heart rate will go up, however, and they will burn calories.

I sometimes go on walks of several miles, over several hours. Unless I'm climbing a hill, my heart rate does not go up all that much. I do, however, burn a lot more calories than I am right now, posting on MFP.
  • deksgrl
    Options
    Agreed.

My argument is about cooking and cleaning being things you always do. You did them before you were dieting. You do them now. I count my cooking and cleaning in my lifestyle, even though I am sedentary. I spend X amount of time sitting per day. I spend X amount walking around doing normal day to day things like cooking and cleaning. That hasn't changed and won't change. I still need x amount of calories to fuel that amount of activity that I always did and still do. It is included. That is all I am saying.

If a person truly never moved much off the couch except to go to the bathroom and cooking and cleaning is a NEW thing for them, yes, then I would say count it. But not for people who always were doing those activities as a normal part of their day.
  • katysmelly
    katysmelly Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Agreed.

My argument is about cooking and cleaning being things you always do. You did them before you were dieting. You do them now. I count my cooking and cleaning in my lifestyle, even though I am sedentary. I spend X amount of time sitting per day. I spend X amount walking around doing normal day to day things like cooking and cleaning. That hasn't changed and won't change. I still need x amount of calories to fuel that amount of activity that I always did and still do. It is included. That is all I am saying.

If a person truly never moved much off the couch except to go to the bathroom and cooking and cleaning is a NEW thing for them, yes, then I would say count it. But not for people who always were doing those activities as a normal part of their day.

I agree with that, as well.

I was only arguing with the idea that exercise is only cardio activity that perceptibly raises the heart rate.

As a stay-at-home mom, I wouldn't count most of my cleaning as exercise. But, I sometimes make a huge to-do list of stuff and hustle through it in order to get exercise. I figure it's as good as dancing around in front of a DVD and you get a really clean house out of it.
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options

If someone who is generally sedentary starts walking every evening for an hour, at 3 miles per hour, they are burning calories. 3 miles per hour for an average person will not make them all sweaty or out of breath. Their heart rate will go up, however, and they will burn calories.

I sometimes go on walks of several miles, over several hours. Unless I'm climbing a hill, my heart rate does not go up all that much. I do, however, burn a lot more calories than I am right now, posting on MFP.

LOL If "raising my heart rate" determines burning calories, the MFP forums are my best exercise!
  • dhencel
    dhencel Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Cleaning, yes.... Cooking. no.... Unless you are dancing in the kitchen, then cooking is not cardio....
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    Cleaning, yes.... Cooking. no.... Unless you are dancing in the kitchen, then cooking is not cardio....
    Yes! If you're doing leg lifts, lifting pots and aerobic veggie cutting, you could maybe count it. Cleaning, sure. It can be really hard work.
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    Agreed.

But in determining what you set your base at, sedentary, lightly active, etc., you're asked to determine by activity LEVEL, not how "usual" activities are--even for you.

While sedentary does not mean comatose, unless you are actually comatose, "sitting on the couch and never getting up except to go to the bathroom" also is not comatose, as far as calorie burn goes. Only comatose is as low as comatose. MFP says they set sedentary at "mostly sitting." I don't clean my house sitting.
  • deksgrl
    Options
    You are splitting hairs now.

The question was, should cooking and cleaning count as cardio.

I never counted them as cardio in the past. I'm not going to count it now.

I have a desk job, I am mostly sitting for 8 hours. Yes, I am moving somewhat, I fidget, shift around, move my arms. I am burning calories. Not a lot, but that amount of calories I need for that is built in to a sedentary lifestyle. I go home, I cook dinner, I clean up. Again, yes, I am moving and burning some calories but this isn't enough to create a calorie deficit and lose weight.

I figured out my BMR. I figured out my TDEE by multiplying by the factor for sedentary - which includes all the calories I need for cooking and cleaning and everything else I normally do. I am eating a deficit from TDEE. I do cardio to add to the deficit.
  • jpuderbaugh
    jpuderbaugh Posts: 318 Member
    Options

LOL If "raising my heart rate" determines burning calories, the MFP forums are my best exercise!

Fitlink, you and I may have had an argument on another forum, but this made me laugh. :flowerforyou:
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I count it if I'm for real cleaning like scrubbing, moving stuff, ect. Everyday cleaning? Not so much.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Cleaning, no.... Cooking. no....

I cleaned up your post of lies for you.