UNDER BODY FAT %, WHAT DOES THIS MEAN.

Options
I am 12.9% of body fat and it says that this is below normal.

What does this mean?

good or bad??

Replies

• xcrunnergirl13
    xcrunnergirl13 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    A lot of the girls I train with are around 12-16%, I myself being 12 right now but around 8-9% before I got injured. There are theories that it can affect your mestrual cycle and consequently lead to osteopenia and stress fractures. Some stand by this theory and others say that body fat % isn't the issue but rather energy balance. (Might be true though since I've gotten four stress fractures in the past year). Anyway, I think that the important thing is that it's an indicator that you aren't carrying excess fat and probably don't need to lose any more weight. If you feel healthy/ energetic and are still getting you period though it's probably fine.
  • ashleyrg
    ashleyrg Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I just weighed in today and my results are:

WEIGHT: 118 i was 142

BMI: 20.8

FAT:12.9%

FAT IN POUNDS: 15.3

WATER:62.5 %

BONE: 7.8%

Is it bad that it is low, what does this mean to me?
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    If your BMI is 20.8 then, according to the norm, you are just fine :) Good job!
  • Dan112358
    Dan112358 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Where are you getting your numbers?
  • ashleyrg
    Options
    My scale, its a new version that they offer at stores.
  • Dan112358
    Dan112358 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't take those numbers as being 100% accurate. Those types of devices are innacurate and the numbers may be different from what's being reported. If you're truly concerned, have caliper measurements done or talk to you doctor about having your body fat measured.
  • leez1984
    leez1984 Posts: 22
    Options
    does your scale have you input your height/age/sex first? If notyour numbers could be way off... If I weigh on mine with the settings wrong, it can HUGELY miscalculate your levels. I stood on it the other day and got BF 15% and water 40% or thereabouts - turns out the kids had been fiddling with the buttons, and my profile said I was 170cm, male and 18. With the correct settings (150cm, 27 and female) the numbers went back to the normal - 28% BF and 52% water :)
  • ashleyrg
    Options
    Hey, Yes the scale does let you type in the weight, height, age...
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    The scale is pretty inaccurate at estimating bf %. It's upward to +/- 5% off. Your hydration, food intake and other factors can affect the reading.

Here are some pictures to gauge body fat %
    body-fat-levels-women21.jpg

40-20-300x184.jpg
    12-81-300x184.jpg