BMR confusion, help?

Options
So I know that in order to keep my body in working order I need to at least eat my BMR, and I am cool with that. I am not good at starving myself at ALL so I would much rather do something good for me and easier for me.

On that note, I have used several online calculators to figure out what my BMR is and all I am wondering is how accurate are these things? It seems like someone's BMR is more personal then age, weight, and height. Like some people (not me!) have the metabolism of hummingbirds and some people have very slow digestive systems etc...

Anyone else ever wondered about this or have any knowledge on the subject? Thanks!

Replies

• mrobinson0805
    Options
    I'm not sure what websites you've calculated it on, but try this site. www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/
  • piscula
    piscula Posts: 17
    Options
    Thats actually very interesting, that was ont one of the sites I had been on.
  • gettingthinandfit
    Options
    so is the BMR net calories or just ones consumed?
  • 57scoutmaster
    Options
  • cinsuccess
    cinsuccess Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean. There are a lot of factors that can contribute to an accurate BMR. I've tried ALL of the online calculators that have been suggested on the forums here and got so many different results. Finally, I decided to get it measured by a professional. I was fortunate to find a weight loss clinic with a scale that measures BMR as well as body fat % and body composition (it has sensors for the feet and hands to measure more accurately). It was a big help because they told me that my BMR is around 1250 whereas the lowest number I got from ANY of the online calculators was 1440. That's a pretty big difference.

If you think that the calculations are off, see if there are any gyms or clinics in your area that can measure it for you. There are scales you can buy that do it too but they're really expensive.

The only other solution is trial and error. Eat at one level for 1-2 weeks and see what your results are. If you aren't losing at the right rate, then adjust and try a new level for 1-2 weeks. Keep adjusting until you are achieving the right results.
  • piscula
    Options
    BMR is the amount of calories your body uses if you just laid in bed all day and let your body do its thing. Its like the basic number of calories you need to have in order for your body to function and it is the MINIMUM number you should ever consume. My question then follows whether it is as formulaic as the different sites make it or if it is actually more individualized and those sites are just generalizing.
  • piscula
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean. There are a lot of factors that can contribute to an accurate BMR. I've tried ALL of the online calculators that have been suggested on the forums here and got so many different results. Finally, I decided to get it measured by a professional. I was fortunate to find a weight loss clinic with a scale that measures BMR as well as body fat % and body composition (it has sensors for the feet and hands to measure more accurately). It was a big help because they told me that my BMR is around 1250 whereas the lowest number I got from ANY of the online calculators was 1440. That's a pretty big difference.

If you think that the calculations are off, see if there are any gyms or clinics in your area that can measure it for you. There are scales you can buy that do it too but they're really expensive.

The only other solution is trial and error. Eat at one level for 1-2 weeks and see what your results are. If you aren't losing at the right rate, then adjust and try a new level for 1-2 weeks. Keep adjusting until you are achieving the right results.

Was it free to get that test to see what it was? I only ask because currently I am sort of short on money for a while and I don't have a lot to spare, unfortunately.
  • cinsuccess
    cinsuccess Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Was it free to get that test to see what it was? I only ask because currently I am sort of short on money for a while and I don't have a lot to spare, unfortunately.

It depends on where you go but usually they will do the first one free since they will try to sell you their services. I would definitely call ahead and ask before you go in to get it done.
  • cncallan
    cncallan Posts: 4
    Options
    I have been a little confused also. I calculated mine on fat2fit also. The daily calories that it gave me was what I needed for my goal weight and is about 500 more calories a day that what MFP says I should be consuming. I don't which one to use or to split the difference and not consume any of the exercise calories???
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I believe most of the BMR/RMR calculators and based on the average person, I know when I use those mine comes up between 1600-1700. I had an RMR breath test done at a weightloss clinic and it was only 1411. So when everyone says you should never eat below your BMR and eat back all your exercise calories, be sure you know what your BMR/RMR really is, because not everyone has an average metabolism.