Weight loss tablets were the worst mistake I ever made

I was really depressed about my weight last year and my doctor thought weight loss tablets were the answer and they worked in the short term but you can't take them for more than 1 year and I think they have done more damage than good because I am no further towards my goal weight know than I was a year ago.

I was put on appetite suppressors last year and when they were no longer working my doctor told me taking into account my lifestyle and exercise that about 1500 cals is more sensible however the tablets were the start of a bit of an eating disorder (there I said it ,brings me back to my teenage years when I ate next to nothing and was as skinny as a stick) as they left me with no appetite at all and most days I would only eat 500 cals then I went on holiday forgot the tablets and piled on all the weight I lost.

Now I am going it alone and I have really struggled to get my cal intake up to between 1400 and 1600 my goal is 1380 but I earn about 600 to 1000 extra per day by exercise now there is no way I could eat all those cals I have only had my calorie intake up to normal for 1 week and my weight has stayed the same so I think my body spent Jan in starvation mode because I wasn't really eating that much cals were about 800 to 900 yeh I lost 12lbs but I still got a way to go and the only way to that is to make healthy changes for everyday.

I am committed to eating my cals including the odd treat but I could never eat all my exercise cals that is way to much food for me I just hope I begin to lose soon I really don't want to slip back into my old ways it just isn't healthy.

My advice to anybody thinking of taking appetite suppressors is to think really hard about it and make sure you actually eat your cals coz trust me if the tablets work you don't feel hungry EVER which is makes it difficult when you stand in the kitchen thinking what do I want to eat. Any woman who has had morning sickness when pregnant might understand you know if someone put a plate of food in front of you it would taste good but the thought of cooking it turns your stomach, that is how I felt on my tablets and it has left me with a battle still to fight I still have the weight to lose. I am a strong woman I have given birth to 3 children 2 born with no drugs and 1 of them was 9lb8oz and had her hand on her head if I can do that then I can lose weight.

I CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!!
(sorry just needed a rant)

Replies

• vicky1
    vicky1 Posts: 236
    I was really depressed about my weight last year and my doctor thought weight loss tablets were the answer and they worked in the short term but you can't take them for more than 1 year and I think they have done more damage than good because I am no further towards my goal weight know than I was a year ago.

I was put on appetite suppressors last year and when they were no longer working my doctor told me taking into account my lifestyle and exercise that about 1500 cals is more sensible however the tablets were the start of a bit of an eating disorder (there I said it ,brings me back to my teenage years when I ate next to nothing and was as skinny as a stick) as they left me with no appetite at all and most days I would only eat 500 cals then I went on holiday forgot the tablets and piled on all the weight I lost.

Now I am going it alone and I have really struggled to get my cal intake up to between 1400 and 1600 my goal is 1380 but I earn about 600 to 1000 extra per day by exercise now there is no way I could eat all those cals I have only had my calorie intake up to normal for 1 week and my weight has stayed the same so I think my body spent Jan in starvation mode because I wasn't really eating that much cals were about 800 to 900 yeh I lost 12lbs but I still got a way to go and the only way to that is to make healthy changes for everyday.

I am committed to eating my cals including the odd treat but I could never eat all my exercise cals that is way to much food for me I just hope I begin to lose soon I really don't want to slip back into my old ways it just isn't healthy.

My advice to anybody thinking of taking appetite suppressors is to think really hard about it and make sure you actually eat your cals coz trust me if the tablets work you don't feel hungry EVER which is makes it difficult when you stand in the kitchen thinking what do I want to eat. Any woman who has had morning sickness when pregnant might understand you know if someone put a plate of food in front of you it would taste good but the thought of cooking it turns your stomach, that is how I felt on my tablets and it has left me with a battle still to fight I still have the weight to lose. I am a strong woman I have given birth to 3 children 2 born with no drugs and 1 of them was 9lb8oz and had her hand on her head if I can do that then I can lose weight.

I CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!!
    (sorry just needed a rant)