one person meals

Options
AnneElise
AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
My husband works about 4 nights out of the 7 every week. I am young (22) and never feeling looking spending a lot of time cooking for just myself. Does anyone have any one person quick easy meals that they use a lot? I am running out of ideas and then turn to unhealhy options!

Replies

• Huxalyn
    Huxalyn Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Salads (don't buy bag salad! Buy heads of dark green leafies--red leaf, romaine, etc. They keep better.)

-Taco--cook up a 1/2 lb ground chuck or whatever, 1/2 packet of taco seasoning. Put half on a bed of lettuce w/ onion, tomato, green pepper, etc. Use salsa for dressing, if you like. Doesn't take more than 30-45 min to cook and eat. Put the leftover meat in the fridge for tomorrow.

-Chef--whatever handy protein you have, eggs, cheese, lunchmeat, whatever, on your leafy greens and veg. A splash of vinegar (or vinegar and oil, salt and pepper to taste) to dress it up, and yum!

-Tuna--I mix up two cans with as little mayo as possible, splash of white vinegar, black pepper, minced garlic, cheese, onion, and a boiled egg. I like to eat it on toast...it's 2-4 meals, depending on how hungry you are.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    3 words.....George Forman Grill!!

I buy boneless chicken breasts and package them for 1 person.
    I also buy the fish in the freezer section the same way.

I grill up fish, chicken, chicken sausage, hamburger 7% lean, panini sandwiches. It makes a single meal so much easier.

Good luck:flowerforyou:
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    I make the mini meatloaves in the recipe section and freeze them. I don't do them in the muffin cups though. Just make them small loaves. Put one in the fridge in the morning. Wrap in foil and bake for about an hour. Through in a sweet potatoe or a regular one. With a vegetable or salad you've got a meal.

I also freeze spaghetti sauce, soups, chili in individual portions.

Last night I wanted to grill chicken but the weather wasn't cooperating. I wrapped my chicken breast in foil, brush lightly with olive oil and season. Bake at 400 for 30 min for a nice tender & juicy dinner. You can also add vegetables in the same packet. Change it up. Carrots & sugar snap peas with alittle teriyaki. Broccoli & red pepper with alittle red pepper flakes & garlic. Potatoes with rosemary & thyme. Carrots with basil.

Tonight I'm having chicken again but with a sauce from the freezer. This sauce I made with grilled vegetables. Zucchini, red, yellow, orange peppers, onion, garlic. I added that to a can of diced tomatoes, one can of tomatoe sauce and 1/4 cup wine (you can use broth or water if you don't want to use wine. I use either red or white wine,) some oregano and basil, salt & pepper. Simmer for about 40 min. I would have put chicken into the sauce like for chicken cacciatore but I didn't have any the day I made it.
    Now tonight it's easy. Warm up the sauce and boil some water for pasta. It's also good with rice or quinoa if your staying away from pasta.
  • indianagranny
    Options
    some real good ideas here. thanks for sharing.
  • indianagranny
    Options
    sorry - double post
  • ngwife4life
    ngwife4life Posts: 569
    Options
    If you cook for you and your hubby, cook an extra serving of what you're making and freeze it for one of the nights he is gone. You can even double the recipe and freeze individual servings. I'll cook myself a whole Campbell's Cheesy Chicken and Rice Casserole (my hubby is permanently gone right now!) and freeze all the leftovers in individual portions.

I have a 10 month old baby so my cooking time is generally limited. This is usually what I turn to:
    ~ Baked Potato w/ cheese and veggies - when I'm really pressed for time I get the ones you can do in the microwave
    ~ Special K Cereal :tongue:
    ~ Anything made with a tortilla - wraps, pizza (use leftover spaghetti sauce & cheese and then bake in oven/toaster oven), quesadillas
    ~ Grilled cheese on whole wheat bread with fruit salad and sometimes a veggie too, depending on how hungry I am
    ~ Homemade baked chicken strips - take chicken tenderloins and roll in an egg white and then bread crumbs (you can also smush up whatever crackers you have on hand and add spices). Place on a baking sheet and cook at 375 until done (less than 10 minutes, usually). If I'm really, really short on time I'll make a boxed potato and frozen veggies but otherwise, I try to make something healthier like real potatoes or just a larger batch of different fresh veggies like yellow squash, carrots, etc.
    ~ BBQ chicken sandwiches on whole wheat bun/bread - boil chicken, shred, add BBQ sauce. You can also take leftover baked/grilled chicken on a night you cook together, shred leftovers and freeze for later BBQ sandwiches.

If you can't tell, I'm a very picky eater. I only eat chicken as far as meat is concerned. So, there are probably a lot more ideas out there but that's about as creative as I get with my food!!!
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    my suggestion is to make a little extra of the meals he will also be eating and then you can just reheat on your alone nights. Keeping grilled chicken in the fridge for sandwiches or salads is a great idea too. OR make a batch of soup and freeze single serve portions then you can pull one out when you need it.
  • hasiangirl
    hasiangirl Posts: 1,613
    Options
    I usually get perfect portion chicken breasts and right before cookin it put some salt pepper and lemon juice on it...then i pan fry it with a little bit of olive oil....sides are usually some type of steamed veggie (which is easy to make now because i bought the magic bullet :) )