Ab/Core Workouts - What's Yours?

Options
Hi - I'm always looking for new ab/core routines. What are you doing that you have found success with and how often. Details, details, details!! I am currently just incorporating mine into my lower body day for my 6x6 routine and doing the ab wheel x 6 reps x 6 sets or some days using the weighted chair that works upper and lower (don't know what it's called but I love it).

Replies

• cPT_Helice
    cPT_Helice Posts: 403
    Options
    No one working core?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Pilates DVDs are great for working your core ......
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I've been doing this circuit training class that's a lot like CrossFit -- we do a lot of weights, push-ups, and overall body work. Our teacher incorporates a strong core in every move, and yes, we also do ab work and planks. Since I've been doing that 2 days a week, my core has never been better. AND my running has improved tremendously.
  • lickmybaconcakes
    lickmybaconcakes Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    weighted crunches , weighted leg lifts, captains chairs, weighted bicycles, medicine ball rotations , weighted planks ,repeat cycle 4 times.
  • cPT_Helice
    Options
    weighted crunches , weighted leg lifts, captains chairs, weighted bicycles, medicine ball rotations , weighted planks ,repeat cycle 4 times.

That's a lot of ab/core exercises. Do you have one day set aside for just abs?
  • cPT_Helice
    Options
    Honestly, I've been doing this circuit training class that's a lot like CrossFit -- we do a lot of weights, push-ups, and overall body work. Our teacher incorporates a strong core in every move, and yes, we also do ab work and planks. Since I've been doing that 2 days a week, my core has never been better. AND my running has improved tremendously.

Love your profile icon!
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Using the cable machine at the gym I do horizontal wood chops and reverse wood chops, increasing the weight whenever possible. I also do side bends using a 20 lb. dumbbell and do 3 sets of 25 reps for each side.

My favorite is this swiss ball exercise video which is the BEST! I do 3 sets of 15 reps almost every day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6q7k_D6DGQ&list=PL4CE51ED9E54AA7C3&index=2&feature=plpp_video

I also follow Angela and do this workout: (she has other ab videos available on her site, just click the blue bodyinspiredfitness link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWzwEePu_N8&feature=BFa&list=PL4CE51ED9E54AA7C3
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Heavy squats and deadlifts
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options

This
  • SwindonJogger
    SwindonJogger Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Heavy medicine ball slams. Slamming a 20kg ball on the ground for 50 reps or so. Total murder!
  • brismom070897
    brismom070897 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    bump
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options

This
  • usc2626
    usc2626 Posts: 186
    Options

Along with this I do ABX from p90x on my off days Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday.
  • prettygirlhoward
    prettygirlhoward Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sareid77
    sareid77 Posts: 11
    Options
    I have P90x and their core and ab ripper routines leave me feeling GREAT! And a little sore the next day :)
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options

What he said.

Also, dumbbell bent over rows seem to work that area (and obliques), I noticed. And bench presses.

At the end of a session if my abs still don't ache, then a few full height hanging leg raises (not the easy 90 degree ones) or inclined leg raises (ie on a sloped bench).

http://darrensurrey.hubpages.com/hub/My-favourite-core-exercises-work-your-abs
  • kayl3igh88
    kayl3igh88 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lickmybaconcakes
    lickmybaconcakes Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options

That's a lot of ab/core exercises. Do you have one day set aside for just abs?

I do this usually once or twice a week.
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    No one working core?

All workouts are core workouts. If you are holding proper form you are using your core muscles.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Weighted exercise ball crunches...done in a way to maximize ab involvement and minimize hip flexor involvement.