Milk Substitute for Coffee??

Options
thirtyby40
thirtyby40 Posts: 702 Member
I used to love cream in my coffee, it took me a long time to work it down to 1% milk. Now I hate that I consume so many calories in the milk. Any low cal ideas? I was using skim milk for a while, but the kids drink 1% so it is just easier to buy one type of milk. My baby will be going on Homogenized milk soon, so if I change to skim that is 3 types of milk in my fridge. There is only so much room.

I used to use coffee mate, until I found out they have linked its use with ALS so I wont even use that in hotel rooms anymore.

Ideas?

Maybe I am just putting too much thought into this...

Replies

• arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I have thought a lot about these calories. I went to using the powdered low fat creamer. I think it was Dave that reminded me I was getting some food in the milk whereas in the powder I was getting all chemicals.

So I use the 1% in my coffee. I use that as part of my breakfast
    1/4 cup milk
    2 pc lightstyle oatmeal braed
    1 tbls peanut butter
    1/2 banana
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Milk's good for you. I'd say a cup of milk a day is just fine, especially given you use less of that per cup of coffee.
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    I like using the lite and fat free half and half or creamer I LOVE the flavored sugar free creamers as well and I use the sugar free flavored syrups instead of sugar.
    Yum Yum

Drinking decaf Texas Turtle right now.
  • tinlady
    tinlady Posts: 23
    Options
    Hi just a thought.....I use skim milk powder in my coffee. No refrigeration required and depending on what size you buy no spoilage. Hope this helps.
  • lgolden
    lgolden Posts: 164
    Options
    I used to have to have flavored creamer in my coffee. I would measure the tablespoons out but I also got tired of using the calories. I tried the Truvia packets and they taste great. One packet gives the coffee just enough sweetness without an after taste. I found Truvia at Walmart so I am sure that most grocery stores carry it. Give it a try, it helped me.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't even worry about the little bit of milk you're adding to your coffee. You could always switch to green tea. :drinker:
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    How much are you really using and does it make a huge difference in your calories? I measure mine, I drink iced coffee everyday (way better than when I worked for starbucks :noway: ) anyway, my iced coffee with half and half and sugar in the raw comes out to 70 calories and I am more than willing to allow myself my wonderful cup of coffee with my breakfast in the morning!

There are no creamers on the market that don't contain transfat, they might say 0 but they do still. As a matter of fact they have switched to cottonseed oil and soy which combined do the same thing as hydrogenized fats AND cottonseed oil is hard to extract and more often than not turns rancid during the extraction process and it is then put into your processed foods........rancid. :frown:

Live a little, depriving yourself of everything you like will make you more likely to give in to greater temptations :drinker: