Very unfit needing advice

Options
Flab2fitfi
Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
At the moment I am very unfit but am slowly changing things. At the moment I'm walking about 30 minutes a day minimum and half of it it uphill( you got to go down again). i have treadmill which I'm going to use at the weekends if i don't walk outside.

I'm looking for idea on videos ( something simple) or a simple exercise routine that does not take too long and is great for beginners. I have thought about some weight training but tbh would not know where to start. I also need to be able to do it at home as I have four kids and getting to the gym would be hard.

Replies

• GoMizzou99
    GoMizzou99 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    When I started out 75 pounds ago (I did not find MFP until this January), I used a WII Fit and, like you, walking. The WII Fit helped because you can do it in the privacy of your own home and not be embarrassed at the gym (BTW - anyone who goes to the gym should NEVER EVER be embarrassed - I have seen some remarkable transformations there!)

There is a decent free website for weight lifting. It actually has a "home" suggestion that I use regularly. It takes about 35 minutes. Don't worry if you can't do something well yet - just do it the best you can and progress will happen.

http://www.davedraper.com/dumbbell-home-training.html

Don't forget to look up exercises on You Tube - there are too many to view.
  • MassWineGuy
    Options
    Aerobics for at least 30 to 60 minutes twice a week (more if you can). That is what's going to burn off some calories and give you more endurance and stamina. Mix it up with some free weights and ab work, like situps, for example.

I strongly suggest that you join a class at the Y or a club to start out right.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Options
    Thanks

i have bought a beginners exercise video ( including weight training) and some small weights. Hubby and I have decided to buy an ecliptic trainer once we have lost some weight ( most of them we are too heavy for).

Have looked at a couple of gyms but as time and money is a major issue I'm going to wait a while. Finding time for class is difficult at moment as we have four kids hubby works long hours and when he is home I'm studying with the OU.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Check to see if your local library carry Leslie Sansone Walk Away The Pounds workouts. They are good. I don't know if they would carry Chris Freytag workouts. She has some good workouts as well. You can preview both ladies workouts on Collagevideo.com and Youtube. Just type their name in the search option.
  • dmdakd
    dmdakd Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    If you do nothing else just keep walking. Keep increasing your speed and duration. I am very heavy and walking has done great for me. I have lost 30 pounds since March 5th and my only exercise has been walking. I started at 2 miles (40 minutes) on my lunch break. Currently I am doing 4-5 miles (appox 80 - 90 minutes) before work (yes 5 am is very early!!).

Set a goal and stick with it. My goal on March 5th was to walk 150 miles by Memorial Day (I only track walking I do for fitness), I have to up that goal because as of this morning I have logged 129 miles and at my average of 30 a week I am going to obliterate my orginial goal. My new goal is 250 miles, I am going to make it.

Don't get me wrong, I know eventually I will need to adjust to something with more intensity and add strength training to achieve my overall fitness goals but for now I am exercising every day without injury and for me right now, that just fine.

Dont underestimate the power of simply walking at a brisk pace.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Options
    If you do nothing else just keep walking. Keep increasing your speed and duration. I am very heavy and walking has done great for me. I have lost 30 pounds since March 5th and my only exercise has been walking. I started at 2 miles (40 minutes) on my lunch break. Currently I am doing 4-5 miles (appox 80 - 90 minutes) before work (yes 5 am is very early!!).

Set a goal and stick with it. My goal on March 5th was to walk 150 miles by Memorial Day (I only track walking I do for fitness), I have to up that goal because as of this morning I have logged 129 miles and at my average of 30 a week I am going to obliterate my orginial goal. My new goal is 250 miles, I am going to make it.

Don't get me wrong, I know eventually I will need to adjust to something with more intensity and add strength training to achieve my overall fitness goals but for now I am exercising every day without injury and for me right now, that just fine.

Dont underestimate the power of simply walking at a brisk pace.

I'm not walking very quickly but its mainly uphill pushing a pushchair with a 25lb toddler in. We have a very steep hill on one of the ways to school and I go that way even though it knackers me but I can feel it pulling on my shin muscles.

I enjoy walking and do about 50 mins a day and when i cant get out I'm going to do the treadmill.