yep that was me

Options
Yes that was me running/walking on the bike path last night. Yes that was me walking 2, running 1 lap at the YMCA monday. Yes that was me running for the first time in 11 years. WOOOOHOOOO. Yes that was me I know because my shins and ribs are asking if that was me trying to kill 'us' Sorry had to toot my own horn a little :happy: But I have not ran since I got out of the Army in 2001 and I hated doing it then. Still trying to figure out how people get addicted to running when I hate it so much. So if you all have the secret to 'loving running' please share.

Replies

• guppygirl322
    guppygirl322 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I have been running since September. I can now run 4 miles. I still hate it, lol.:laugh:
  • TheNewo
    TheNewo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Still trying to figure out how people get addicted to running when I hate it so much. So if you all have the secret to 'loving running' please share.

--might have something to do with endorphines. other than that, eh I dunno. Awesome run though! Congrats!
  • ConnieSG
    ConnieSG Posts: 376
    Options
    That is so awesome!! Congrats on the running. I like to run, but cannot do it because of knee problems. Hopefully one of these days, I will be able to get back to doing it.
  • ReclaimingSarah
    ReclaimingSarah Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Just keep doing it! Eventually, you will learn to love it. I'm on Week 4 of Couch 2 5k and I'm struggling NOT to run on my "off" days! Good luck. :happy:
  • sjackson1717
    sjackson1717 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I am so with you on this one. I don't like running, never have. I thought once I got going it would be easier and I would learn to love it but 4 1/2 months later I still dislike it. I do it because I know it's good for me but I am actively looking for ways to get my cardio in with out having to run.
  • Srmmelson
    Srmmelson Posts: 31
    Options
    I'm not sure if I can bring myself to say that I love running. I love what it does at 10 mins. into the run things are enjoyable...but then 15mins hits and I'm just looking at how far I want to go. I like it because it burns a ton of calories, plus I can set consistant goals and accomplish them....I guess I could say that running brings my favorite results...but it's not my favorite exercise!
  • Srmmelson
    Srmmelson Posts: 31
    Options
    I am so with you on this one. I don't like running, never have. I thought once I got going it would be easier and I would learn to love it but 4 1/2 months later I still dislike it. I do it because I know it's good for me but I am actively looking for ways to get my cardio in with out having to run.

Kick boxing is such a good workout, plus you can work out agressions! I love it!
  • sailorsiren13
    Options
    You love it when you realize you can go further faster or when your butt isn't jiggling as much or your feeling stronger than you have in years....I got a runner's high when i completed a 5k maybe you should sign up for your first and complete it and see if having a goal would help.
  • MyTime1985
    MyTime1985 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You sound like you're doing great even if you don't love it! :flowerforyou:
  • hollyk57
    hollyk57 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    What an accomplishment! I'd love to get there one day. Just keep pushing myself. You're not tooting your own horn hon, you earned it! Own it! *hugs*
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I hated it for years before I started to love it! Now, if I'm not running and I see people running, I'm always jealous of them.
  • curiousgirl0985
    curiousgirl0985 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Still trying to figure out how people get addicted to running when I hate it so much. So if you all have the secret to 'loving running' please share.

--might have something to do with endorphines. other than that, eh I dunno. Awesome run though! Congrats!
    I love running! Well, not the actual running part, but the great "runner's high" I get from it. I feel like I'm dying at the end of a run, but five minutes later I feel like I could do it all over again!
  • falsecho
    falsecho Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I love running for different reasons on different days. Most of the time I love the challenge of going further, faster while clearing my head of the junk of the day.
    It all comes down to whatever way you think about it, you will be right.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I LOVE running. I suck at it so bad though. I'm SOOO slow. But I still love it. The first 20 minutes of every run SUCK! And I just want to stop. But I still love it.

Why?
    * After that first 20 minutes, I'm high and I feel fantastic. (Until I hit the wall, but that's a different thread).
    * The next day, I feel great. Uplifted.
    * When I see a runner, I want to jump out of the car and join them.
    * It burns calories so I can eat more food.
    * Running is a numbers game. I love numbers.
    * I can see real, measurable improvement. Even though I'm slow, I'm not as slow as I used to be.
    * I can see real change in my weight and my body because of running.
    * I get out of it what I put into it
    * When you have a perfect run, you need to run again until you can have another one. And this cycle continues. Ad infinitum.
    * Running has improved my self esteem and confidence.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I loved it all the way through the C25K. I couldn't wait to do my training. It was wonderful.

Now I run 3 - 3 1/2 miles 3 times a week. It's easy enough. I don't like it though. LOL. I definitely don't love it. I want to know where all the love I was feeling during the C25K went!

It's not that I hate running. Once I get past the 5 minute mark, it gets easier and easier. Maybe if I moved it outside it would be more enjoyable.
  • Langlady
    Langlady Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Great job doing it. I know it's hard. I am not a huge fan of running but when you run more and not think about how much you hate it you will actually get into a zone. Everything will be in a rhythm it seems and then you hit a "runners high". It will take work and practice and you won't always hit that zone or high but when you do, you start enjoying it.
  • si_puedo
    si_puedo Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    well way to you gooooooooo.....so totally awesome.....baby steps.....
  • ipsamet
    ipsamet Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Just keep doing it! Eventually, you will learn to love it. I'm on Week 4 of Couch 2 5k and I'm struggling NOT to run on my "off" days! Good luck. :happy:

Yes! Me too.. I'm just into week 6, and I'm looking forward to my runs, I have to force myself to do my other workouts. I find the better I get at it, the more I like it.
  • Kaleonar
    Kaleonar Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with previous comments....keep doing it and do it for 3 to 4 days a week. I used to hate running and was always envious of my friends who I swore were "addicted" to running. Now, I understand. Running makes you feel so much better, releases stress, etc that when I have a 2 - 3 day stretch without a run, I start getting grouchy. It will happen. Just be patient and keep on, keeping on!
  • hjohns65
    hjohns65 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I hated it for years before I started to love it! Now, if I'm not running and I see people running, I'm always jealous of them.

me too! especially if I have ran on the treadmill that day, and am outside fartin around in the yard and someone goes by, I wish I could've ran outside that day, there's nothin better than a little outside jog!