Sweet potato help please!

Options
Hi all. I went out for a meal last night and with my salad were strips of roasted sweet potato, possibly the yummiest thing I've tried in ages. I am a rubbish cook so wanted to know how to do this myself and also if anyone has any other recipes with sweet potato as I think I'm a convert! :love: :love: :love:

Hope you can help :smile:

Replies

• Cindysunshine
    Cindysunshine Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I buy them fresh and bake them like regular potatoes. I also cut them in to strips toss them with olive oil and bake. This makes yummy fries. You can also cube them up and mash them. I :heart: sweet potatoes ! Cindy :heart:
  • ngwife4life
    ngwife4life Posts: 569
    Options
    I bake them and then add a little bit of butter, brown sugar and cinnamon. Eat it last because it tastes like dessert!!! :tongue:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    http://www.fortysomething.ca/2007/12/crispy_baked_sweet_potato_frie.php

awesome recipe for it. take note of the "smaller the better" concept with sweet potato fries.
    lots of water in them, the more surface area to suck out the water, the better
  • Kidvicious28
    Kidvicious28 Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    - Sweet-Potato Pancakes with Honey-Cinnamon Butter -

For the honey-cinnamon butter

* 1/4 cup low fat unsalted butter, at room temperature
    * 1 1/2 teaspoons honey
    * 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon

For the sweet-potato pancakes

* 2 large eggs
    * 1 cup low fat buttermilk, plus more if necessary
    * 2 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    * 1 cup store-bought pancake mix
    * 1 small pinch ground nutmeg
    * 1 small sweet potato, boiled, peeled, and mashed (about 1 1/2 cups)
    1. Beat together the butter, honey, and cinnamon until smooth. Transfer to the refrigerator until ready to use.

2. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, buttermilk, and oil. Stir in the pancake mix and nutmeg until just combined. Fold in the sweet potato. If the batter seems too thick, add more buttermilk until it reaches the desired consistency (it should be thick but still pourable).

3. Place a large, greased griddle or pan over medium-high heat. Working in batches, spoon the batter onto it and cook until the surface of the pancake is covered with bubbles, 2 to 3 minutes. Flip and cook the other side until golden, 1 to 2 minutes more. Serve, topped with the honey-cinnamon butter and a little maple syrup.
  • kimroesler
    Options
    i bake like a baked potato, in the microwave or on the grill wrapped in foil and i spray "i can't believe it's not butter spray" on them with some pepper! and sometimes with some light sour cream... YUM!!
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options

* 1 1/2 teaspoons honey

* 2 large eggs
    1. Beat together the butter, honey, and cinnamon until smooth. Transfer to the refrigerator until ready to use.

2. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, buttermilk, and oil. Stir in the pancake mix and nutmeg until just combined. Fold in the sweet potato. If the batter seems too thick, add more buttermilk until it reaches the desired consistency (it should be thick but still pourable).

3. Place a large, greased griddle or pan over medium-high heat. Working in batches, spoon the batter onto it and cook until the surface of the pancake is covered with bubbles, 2 to 3 minutes. Flip and cook the other side until golden, 1 to 2 minutes more. Serve, topped with the honey-cinnamon butter and a little maple syrup.

That sounds so, so, so good.
  • kitn621
    kitn621 Posts: 215
    Options

* 1 1/2 teaspoons honey

* 2 large eggs

OMG! this sounds soooo good. I cannot wait to try this. I have wanted to get some great ideas to do with Sweet Potatoes b/c have them growing in our garden and when they come in I dont want to waste them. Thanks for this recipe. I will have to let you know how it turns out!!!!!
  • misty589
    misty589 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    roasted sweet potato is my very favorite thing!
    I cook it like this:

1 cup of cubed sweet potato
    1 cup of large diced onion
    1/4 cup of calorie wise catalina dressing
    thyme

toss it all together in a casserole dish, and bake at 375 for a half hour or so
  • AliceLMS
    AliceLMS Posts: 2,428 Member
    Options
    Boiled sweet potatoes peeled and chunked
    Apple sections peeled cored and chunked

Put togeather in a casserole
    Add Orange juice and Brown sugar to sweeten to taste
    Walnuts as many as you like

Bake uncovered until bubbly and good!