I need assistance with a wine selection

Options
DonM46
DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
I plan to take my wife out to eat for our anniversary. 44 yrs.
Neither of us are good at choosing a wine and most of the time can't even pronounce it correctly.
I've downloaded the wine list from the restaurant.
Can anyone give me a suggestion/opinion on (1) what's good [or bad], and (2) which foods work best with it?
Or should I just get a bottle of Thunderbird or Ripple and forget it?

Here's the list:
Gekkeikan Haiku
Gekkaikan Gold
Kariho Namahage
Hitorimusume Unfiltered
Hitorimusume Junmai
Meibo Yowanotsuki
Sacred Power Junmai Ginjo
Ichishima Junmai
Awa Yuki Nigori Junmai
Otokayama
Sho Chiku Bai
Rihaku

Replies

• ket_the_jet
    ket_the_jet Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    These are all sake (pronounced "sah-KEE"), a Japanese alcohol made from fermented rice. While it is often called "rice wine," it's not a wine at all because the alcohol is fermented through added sugars, rather than natural sugars (like those found in grapes). The fermenting process is much closer to that of beer than wine.
    -wtk
  • KJLIII
    KJLIII Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Don, I believe it depends on what kind of food you intend to eat, as well as your preference for wines....

Do you like dry wine or sweet? Or something in between? Do you intend to consume it with your main dish, or sip on it either before or after the meal?

My hubby and I went to a restaurant (in another state, NOT in Utah! !) and were treated to an experiment by the waiter - he made suggestions of wine based on our meal, then suggestions of wine with our DESSERT ! ! It totally floored me ! ! I have a preference for sweeter wines, but don't mind a dry one every now and again. The suggestion for the dessert we had was with an extra dry red wine (can't remember the name of it), and I really am NOT a fan of extra dry, but I'll have to say - it was totally DELICIOUS with the dessert ! I believe the dessert was a fruit cobbler with ice cream, and the pairing of the dry red with the sweet fruity ice cream was an unbelievable explosion of flavors in your mouth. I was amazed. The other wines he had suggested were based on what we ate, and he did a great job. We've not found another restaurant like that, but it remains in my memory as one of the most amazing dinners we've had ! !

You might find that the restaurant you're eating at will make suggestions, and hopefully you'll find someone knowledgeable. But if not, and you have time to do a little reading up on the subject, I've copied a link (and posting it below) that has some info on wines and pairings with food (the links are halfway down the page), if you'd like to take a look...

http://wine.about.com/od/winebasic1/u/Winebasics.htm#s3

Enjoy !!

:drinker:
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Don, I believe it depends on what kind of food you intend to eat, as well as your preference for wines....
    Haven't decided what we'll eat yet.
    Do you like dry wine or sweet? Or something in between? Do you intend to consume it with your main dish, or sip on it either before or after the meal?
    More toward the sweet side.
    If it's a good-tasting one, probably all 3: before, during, and after.
    My hubby and I went to a restaurant (in another state, NOT in Utah! !) and were treated to an experiment by the waiter - he made suggestions of wine based on our meal, then suggestions of wine with our DESSERT ! ! It totally floored me ! ! I have a preference for sweeter wines, but don't mind a dry one every now and again. The suggestion for the dessert we had was with an extra dry red wine (can't remember the name of it), and I really am NOT a fan of extra dry, but I'll have to say - it was totally DELICIOUS with the dessert ! I believe the dessert was a fruit cobbler with ice cream, and the pairing of the dry red with the sweet fruity ice cream was an unbelievable explosion of flavors in your mouth. I was amazed. The other wines he had suggested were based on what we ate, and he did a great job. We've not found another restaurant like that, but it remains in my memory as one of the most amazing dinners we've had ! ! You might find that the restaurant you're eating at will make suggestions, and hopefully you'll find someone knowledgeable.
    For the novices we are, that might be the best plan.
    But if not, and you have time to do a little reading up on the subject, I've copied a link (and posting it below) that has some info on wines and pairings with food (the links are halfway down the page), if you'd like to take a look...

http://wine.about.com/od/winebasic1/u/Winebasics.htm#s3
    Thanks, I'll check it.
  • rachleb
    rachleb Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    These are all sake (pronounced "sah-KEE"), a Japanese alcohol made from fermented rice. While it is often called "rice wine," it's not a wine at all because the alcohol is fermented through added sugars, rather than natural sugars (like those found in grapes). The fermenting process is much closer to that of beer than wine.
    -wtk

^^^This

You should first decide whether or not you would like to dry a hot sake or a cold sake, and then go from there!

Also, sake is usually served in a ceramic container into small ceramic cups, so don't expect a large bottle with traditional wine glasses (though sometimes it IS served into small white wine glasses!)
  • ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I always preferred MD 20/20.....Jew Brew!!!!
  • Lissakaye81
    Lissakaye81 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your anniversary! How sweet, hope you guys have a great night and dinner!
    Some places will actually let you do a sample of many different kinds. Really uou will have to figure out if you like them hot or cold. I prefer cold, also there is a difference between filtered and unfiltered. I love unfiltered. Word of caution, the absolute worst headache I have gotten in my life was from way to much sake. And I get migraines. I prefer the unfiltered called nigori.