Bruising

Options
Since I changed my diet a few weeks ago, I've noticed that I"m now getting small random bruises on my body. I know that usually that means there is a nutrient deficit somewhere, but I'm eating actual fruits & veggies now compared to processed crap before. I currently do not take a multivitamin, and now I'm thinking I should. Thoughts or idea on the bruising? Anything I might be missing in my diet? I really want to listen to my body now, and the bruises are telling me something!

Replies

• seebeachrun
    seebeachrun Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Eat a multivitamin. Take in the evening before you go to bed and drink lots of water with it. A lot of processed food had added vitamins and minerals (along with the fat, sugar, and preservatives.)
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I didn't even know the processed stuff had added vitamins & minerals (along with the bad stuff). I'm now shopping for multivitamins online, any suggestions?
  • kaydensmom12
    Options
    just go to walmart and take an equate multivitamin/multimineral supplement. It has 100% of iron, which is what it sounds like you may be low with. It also has 50% of calcium, and a ton of others:)
  • amcook4
    Options
    My chiropractor once told me that the cheap walmart ones aren't good (while trying to sell me super expensive ones that I can't afford). If others say the cheap ones work, I think I'll go that route.
  • aSunflower
    aSunflower Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Skip the vitamins and head straight to your doctor! What you are describing can be a sign of a serious illness. Any bruising without cause should be looked at professionally.

I don't mean to scare you, but get checked out.
  • kaydensmom12
    Options
    My doctor said that they are good, as long as you take the calcium with a meal so it will absorb:)
  • tig_ol_bitties
    tig_ol_bitties Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    1. Your chiro is correct about cheap vitamins...they are no good.

2. Your body would not be "reacting" that quickly to dietary changes. When you are lacking in a nutrient that begins to cause issues like skin discoloration or hair loss or brittle nails, it takes nearly 2 months for the issues related to a nutrient deficiency to become noticeable.
  • trishgrace
    trishgrace Posts: 285
    Options
    I take One a Day Womens Active Metabolism.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Since I changed my diet a few weeks ago, I've noticed that I"m now getting small random bruises on my body. I know that usually that means there is a nutrient deficit somewhere, but I'm eating actual fruits & veggies now compared to processed crap before. I currently do not take a multivitamin, and now I'm thinking I should. Thoughts or idea on the bruising? Anything I might be missing in my diet? I really want to listen to my body now, and the bruises are telling me something!

bruising could indicate that you need more iron. Google it, there are some awesome foods high in iron.
  • hello0okitty
    hello0okitty Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    sounds like you need iron to me. so protein/red meat. i take cheap supplements. i dont see how they should be any different from the more expensive brands. i've compared the generic ones to the more expensive ones and they have the same ingredients. dont see how the "filler" ingredients should make any difference. *shrug* i'm pale so i bruise very easily as well. (or at least i used to. haven't noticed it in a long time though)
  • picklechunky
    Options
    i bruise easily too, and my doctor told me i had an iron deficiency. So a multi vitamin with iron should help. or you can get iron supplements. when i take my vitamins / supplements, i see less bruising. And the cheap WM ones work just as well as that expensive stuff.
  • peasantgirly
    peasantgirly Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I learned in nutrition class in college that as long as it has USP seal of approval on the label, it should be fine. The USP is a lab that does independent quality testing on vitamins and supplements to confirm the product actually contains what the label says it does. Some brands might be a little better than others, but I don't believe they are so much better as to be worth the extra expense. Just look for the USP seal.
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I buy an OTC prenatal vitamin. It works great
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Hold up! Have you been taking any pain relievers? Asprin, motrin, advil, ibruprofen, alleve? ALL will cause you to bruise (as a side effect). They make platelets(one of the 17 factors that allow for clotting) less sticky, hence the bruising.
  • amcook4
    Options
    I do take a lot of ibuprofen for headaches, which my doc knows about.

I'm going to the doctor next week for something else, I think I'll ask about this too. Until then, multivitamin, and she might change course next week.

Thanks for the responses.
  • Roni_M
    Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Hold up! Have you been taking any pain relievers? Asprin, motrin, advil, ibruprofen, alleve? ALL will cause you to bruise (as a side effect). They make platelets(one of the 17 factors that allow for clotting) less sticky, hence the bruising.

This! Anemia (low iron) doesn't cause bruising but these drugs will. I have ITP (autoimmune bleeding disorder causing low platelets) and am not allowed to take any of the above drugs because they "thin" your blood. Try switching to tylenol.

My doctor had recommended Centrum women's one a day, because i have a history of anemia as well (excess bruising or bleeding can cause anemia not the other way around).
  • hwledford
    Options
    I've heard that the cheap multivitamins don't dissolve and absorb well. That you are essentially paying for something that will pass through your body unabsorbed. I use GNC brand multivitamins. They supposedly absorb into your system better.
  • ddog6
    ddog6 Posts: 13
    Options
    Here is a way to know if your vitamins are actually giong to do anything with your body and to find out what kind of filler they use..
    Check to see how long the vitamin takes to dissolve. If the vitamin is not dissolving in the glass of vinegar, then it's probably not going to dissolve in your stomach, either. Quality vitamins usually begin breaking down almost immediately and finish breaking down within 30 to 45 minutes.

Check to see if dirt is floating on top of the vinegar, or if there is some gritty substance on the bottom of the glass. If there is dirt floating on top, it means the vitamin's manufacturer is using sawdust as a filler. Grit on the bottom of the glass means the vitamin's manufacturer is using sand as a filler. Neither of these is a good sign.
  • hikeout470
    hikeout470 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    just go to walmart and take an equate multivitamin/multimineral supplement. It has 100% of iron, which is what it sounds like you may be low with. It also has 50% of calcium, and a ton of others:)

if I did this, it would come rushing back up projectile style unless taken on a full stomach. Head to the health food store for a more gentle multi vitamin that is actually food derived, instead of chemicals.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    To me they mean I had a good time.