How long did it take you to lose your first bit of weight?

Options
I've been doing roller derby for 5 weeks, it's only really the last week and a bit I've started watching what I eat, counting calories, going to one or two fitness classes a day (Spinning, boxercise, water aerobics, pilates) as well as running around the park for as long as I can then power walking then running as far as possible again.

I gained 2lbs since my last weigh in and I've really cut down on food and high calorie stuff. I've lost half an inch from my waist and hips though and I know it's going to take a while for it to be noticeable but I just wondered how long it took you guys to lose your first few pounds?

Replies

• lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    I started losing weight by changing nothing but drinking more water. Then adding in healthy eating. Lost quite a bit up front, stalled for 6 weeks. Now I realize it's just how my body works. During those stalls I lose a bunch of inches. So keep on keeping on, the weight will come off eventually!

Every time you add something new to your routine, it can take a month for your body to adjust to it. If you just added more fitness classes, you're probably retaining water. So drink some extra water and flush that weight out!

Some will lose right away, others not so much. You'll see the losses soon, keep up the hard work!
  • bradXdale
    bradXdale Posts: 399
    Options
    What Lizard053 said plus you're probably gaining MUSCLE! Gaining muscle will replace fat and help you lose inches, but you may see no loss on the scale or even a minor gain. Don't fret it and keep at it.
  • iwantahealthierme13
    iwantahealthierme13 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    This is my second week...I lost 2.8 pounds the first week and maintained that loss the second week, haven't checked if I lost inches yet.
  • Jhuff4
    Jhuff4 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Good advice from Lizard053. Keep up the good work Alabama.
  • AlmstHvn
    AlmstHvn Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    About 3 months - we even put the scale away so I wouldn't be tempted. The first few months were, for me, a time to get used to the idea of exercising and start building momentum. The numbers weren't very important - I just wanted to breathe without keeling over! :)
  • AlmstHvn
    AlmstHvn Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    BTW - ROLLER DERBY! How awesome! That has always looked like so much fun to me!!
  • TheMissingSock
    Options
    I have consistently lost pounds each week since I started. Except for "female week", don't beat yourself up over a weight gain during your cycle!

some weeks are better than others, but i have alot of extra to burn, and I kill myself at the gym everyday.
  • alabamawhirley
    alabamawhirley Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I meant to say one or two classes a day not a week :D

I know it's still early days, I just wanted to gain some kind of idea of what to expect even though it's different for everyone.
  • alabamawhirley
    alabamawhirley Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    AlmstHvn: It is, it's harsh on your thigh and butt muscles though but worth it if you're not afraid of being hit and a few bruises!
  • TasTam
    TasTam Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I've lost every week consistently for 16 weeks (about 1 1/2lbs each week) except for one week but I have a lot more weight to lose than you that will make a difference.