How many pounds before people noticed?

Options
I just read an article that says you need to lose about 10% of your body weight before it is noticeable to others. I was wondering if that is accurate for most people. I just had the first two or three people say something and I am about at that...maybe a pound or two more than 10% actually. How much did you lose before people noticed?

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Nobody has yet. My husband really has to stare at me to see any difference because he sees me all the time. My problem is that I'll still have the same body shape no matter how much weight goes bye-bye. Unless my big belly goes away, I doubt anyone will say anything.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I think it was around 5 lbs for me.... I have a small-ish frame, and my body carries extra pounds in certain places- my face, hips and arms primarily. I've only lost 12 pounds so far, but because of my frame and the way my body carried those extra pounds, my old pants and shirts are huge on me, the change is obvious.

People noticed it in my face first, now that the weather is warming up, they can definitely see it in my arms too when I'm in t-shirts and tank tops [I've been weight training since January, so there's also a little more muscle than there was before :) ]
  • DoubleE615312
    DoubleE615312 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I started at 245 and it took about 25-30 lbs before anyone said anything, even my hubby. My MIL was afraid to ask, so she asked my husband and he said he didn't know because I hadn't told him....
  • emilysuelemus
    emilysuelemus Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I had lost about 25 llbs before anyone noticed.
  • TheDoctor90
    TheDoctor90 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Going the opposite way (putting weight on) after about 10lbs people thought I looked 'fuller'. 20lbs and people now comment on me being 'big'. Another 20lbs to go and I'll be 'monster'.
  • JustineDianaD
    JustineDianaD Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I was 166lbs so 10% would be about 16.6 pounds.
    People didn't really notice until I hit the 22lbs mark.
    I haven't lost any weight in weeks, and more people have noticed in the last few days than ever!
  • msprouse8
    msprouse8 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I didn't have any weight loss for 5 weeks after I started my diet and exercise program. People started asking about week 4 if I had lost....I said that I didn't, but I could tell a difference in my body...(know what I mean?) Then yesterday, at 7 weeks of exercising I have lost 4 lbs total and actually had 2 people comment. So it takes a while...don't be discouraged! It'll happen!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I agree with 10%, unless perhaps yoyu lose in your face which is most obvious.
  • KATHRYN81177
    KATHRYN81177 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    For me 15 lbs...
  • llana002
    llana002 Posts: 12
    Options
    I started at 255lb and I'm at 235lb now. My boyfriend noticed when I lost my first 10lb and other family and friends noticed at 20lb. I can't see a difference but some of my clothes are fitting better. I was discouraged for awhile because I was stuck at 10lbs for a couple weeks but just stay on track and stay motivated and you'll see results sooner than you think!
  • nightsrainfall
    nightsrainfall Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I lost "0" pounds according to the scale and people noticed a change in me - even stated "Have you lost weight?"

You can lose inches without losing weight especially if you are gaining muscle though there are many things that can tip the scale so to speak.