Cross Training Shoe Suggestions

I just bought a pair of Nike Free TR Fit 2 training shoes to do my Jillian Michaels workouts in.

I tried them last night and do not like them. I didn't like the way the sole at the ball of the foot is thinner than at the heel. Also I felt like I wasn't getting enough support when doing plyometric moves.

I used to wear my running shoes in the gym and developed an SI joint injury from using the incorrect footwear and doing plyometrics.

I'm returning the shoes and looking for advice or opinions on other training shoes.

Thanks

Karen

Replies

• kayl3igh88
    kayl3igh88 Posts: 428 Member
    bump, I was wondering too..
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    IMO....I wear new balance. Hiking, walking and cross training. Never had a problem with them. Also, you can go to a NB store and get fitted by a pro.
  • Laurej
    Laurej Posts: 227
    everyone's feet, and the way you walk/run is different. Go to a good running shoe store, and ask them to evaluate your feet and stride. They'll help you chooses the right shoes for you.
  • kelif5959
    kelif5959 Posts: 202
    I love my Adidas Climacool shoes. They are light weight and so comfy. I do circuit training 5 days a week with a lot of jumping, etc. They are awesome!!!
  • only thing that ever fit me are Adidas or Asics. Avia is nice for non-tight-laced stuff as well.
  • DeeMac71
    DeeMac71 Posts: 10
    going to a running shoe store is an excellent idea. I did that and found that I tend to under pronate when exercising. Since I found that out, I know that I need a shoe with a lot of cushion support. It is very valuable information to have. Once you determine your running/walking style, you will be able to search for shoes especially designed for you. It really makes a difference!!
  • peterhern
    peterhern Posts: 26
    Check out New Balance
  • fireguy286
    fireguy286 Posts: 14 Member
    I use New Balance Minimus for everything but cycling, lack of support might be a good thing in the long run. Helped me get rid of plantar fasciitus, and I now have feeling in the sides of my legs, which I didn't before. They did take a while to get used to, and my calves took a beating on my first couple of runs.
  • Iansmommy123011
    Iansmommy123011 Posts: 872 Member
    A sales man at Finish Line told me nike shoes are garbage. He told me to buy Brooks, Asics, and Mizuno is a really good brand for workout shoes. They are expensive but they are very comfortable.
  • Sweet_Pandora
    Sweet_Pandora Posts: 459 Member
    Thanks for the input.

I did go to a sports store to get fitted and even brought in my running shoes so they could see how I pronate.

My physio therapist suggested Saucony or Asics so back to the store I go.

Karen
  • Laurej
    Laurej Posts: 227
    Thanks for the input.

I did go to a sports store to get fitted and even brought in my running shoes so they could see how I pronate.

My physio therapist suggested Saucony or Asics so back to the store I go.

Karen
    I love my sauconys! :) good luck :)
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    I assume that most people run, not do cross training, because the stores are msotly full of running shoes. And you need trainers for the side to side motion or you can really hurt yourself.

I stated buying on zAPPOS and shoebuy.com. They have a good selection and return policy.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    LOVE my KSwiss tubes. Mine are running shoes, but not supportive enough for me for running. I wear them walking and during the JM 30 Day Shred and they are SO comfy.
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    everyone's feet, and the way you walk/run is different. Go to a good running shoe store, and ask them to evaluate your feet and stride. They'll help you chooses the right shoes for you.

This has always seemed strange to me. If the shoes are being used for cross-training/circuit/plyometrics, why a running store? Why does it matter how I run if the shoes aren't for running? Just wondering because I need new cross trainiers too...
  • I made the same mistake. Bought the free train 2.0 thinking Nike would know their cross training. The shoes don't provide any support, so my feet slide off the sole when I train for lifts, and when I circuit train, they move so much I get blisters on my heal. I like the low profile sole, but after 2 workout, I took shoes off and the footbed liner came out of the left shoe. The stitching was at least between 1/4-1/2" to long, so no wonder the shoes feel like crap. They are made that way. Hate these shoes.
  • Sundogoh
    Sundogoh Posts: 31 Member
    I am currently wearing New Balance 997 for cross-training (currently doing P90X2, did TurboFire prior). Nike shoes just don't fit my feet very well. For running I wear Brooks/Saucony and got fitted for those at a running store. I am not sure about going to a running store to get shoes for cross-training if you aren't going to be running. I know in one of the P90X2 videos they say not to wear running shoes.