Is it cheating if...

Replies

• gin_gin
    gin_gin Posts: 184
    Thanks @ SouthernArt77 guess I'll be purchasing a scale soon!
  • SouthernArt77
    SouthernArt77 Posts: 223 Member
    Thanks @ SouthernArt77 guess I'll be purchasing a scale soon!
    You'll love it - it makes watching what you eat so much easier! :)
  • briannw
    briannw Posts: 73 Member
    Digital scale on Amazon about $20. Measures in grams, ounces, lbs, etc. Also lets you account for the weight that you have your food on.

Easy to use and leaves little room for error
  • mmsilvia
    mmsilvia Posts: 459 Member
    I don't care if it's cheating...I cram as much food as I can into a level measuring cup. And, I enjoy every last bite of it!!
  • nixirain
    nixirain Posts: 448 Member
    Yep, weigh your food.

This. My kitchen scale is my best friend.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    are they mashed yams? because then they should definitely fill the cup.
  • EbonySD
    EbonySD Posts: 142
    you squish food into a measuring cup to fit to get the amount?

I know that makes no sense to you what I'm trying to say is
    let's say I wanted a serving of yams which is 2/3 cup. Okay looking at yams....looking at cup I'm only gonna be able
    to fit 1-2 at the most in that little cup so if I put some in there and mash them to get 2/3 cup is that cheating?

lol - give yourself a pass. At least you're measuring!
  • row_rivers
    row_rivers Posts: 92 Member
    your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down!
  • JustLena75
    JustLena75 Posts: 114
    Can anyone recommend a specific scale? I want to get one.
  • It's sweet potatoes....I think it's perfectly fine.
  • EbonySD
    EbonySD Posts: 142
    I think it would be ok. I mean, there's a difference between trying to fill the cup, and using like a space bag to MAKE it fit =P

lol - space bag... hmmmm..... note to self - go to walmart and get space bags.
  • gin_gin
    gin_gin Posts: 184
    LOL thanks for the pass @ ebster77 :)
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    This is why I weigh food.

If I was measuring by cups I know damn well I'd be squishing it all in to get more, and IMO that's kind of cheating. If you're still losing, I wouldn't really worry, but if you're not meeting your goals, you probably need to take a look at the little things such as this.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    It's not so much cheating as it is measuring inaccurately.
  • LordBezoar
    LordBezoar Posts: 625 Member
    Ok as having not used a food scale before If i weigh it thats not going to tell me how much 2/3 cup is whether its mashed or not?
    don't think I'm getting this across like I"m trying to okay I weigh 2/3 cup mashed and 2/3 cup not mashed so how does that tell me the calories i'm having?

An ounce is an ounce is an ounce (within a minute, acceptable variation here on Earth). A cup varies depending on density. It takes a bit of getting used to, but I promise you want to weigh your food. With a little bit of work, you can convert all of your recipes to weights...
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    you squish food into a measuring cup to fit to get the amount?

I know that makes no sense to you what I'm trying to say is
    let's say I wanted a serving of yams which is 2/3 cup. Okay looking at yams....looking at cup I'm only gonna be able
    to fit 1-2 at the most in that little cup so if I put some in there and mash them to get 2/3 cup is that cheating?

First, there's no such thing as "cheating" - it's called "reporting inaccurately", and you're only affecting your own caloric intake. This isn't a competition, and it isn't a race.

Second, it depends on what the recipe calls for. If you want to use volume, that's fine. "1/3 cup of 1/4" cubed yam" is a different measurement from "1/3 cup of mashed yam" and also from "1/3 cup of 1" cubed yam".

As long as you stick with measuring what you intend to measure, you'll be "close enough", because calories are estimated anyway.

If you're unsure, (as many others have said), use a scale and weigh that sucker, because then you can calculate the calories per ounce or gram. With any food that can take multiple forms (mashed, cubed, sliced, etc) weight is the only thing that is going to be consistent with calories.
  • Allie_71
    Allie_71 Posts: 1,063 Member
    I had a friend who used to used to say that broken cookies didn't count. She'd come home from the grocery store, drop a bag of cookies and kick it down the driveway to her front door. Then eat 'em from the bag. :/
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,644 Member
    What does your heart tell you?

Weigh the damn yamn.

i have no idea why...but this made me giggle...
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,860 Member
    But...neither of us "really" finished so...wait, what? Yams? Um...nevermind.
  • rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    buy a scale and weigh it, measuring cups are bs for most things