Flabby Arms

Options
I've been dieting and exercising for about a month now. I've done really well so far but need some tips on getting rid of flabby upper arms. I've considered lifting light weights and arm exercises but that only promotes muscle. I have some serious fat that needs to be taken care of. Any tips? Or, do I just need to drop weight overall? I've lost weight in the past and it seems my arms don't slim down like I would like.

Replies

• BBBBennyandtheJets
    Options
    I started lifting weights and the flab on my arms decreased a reasonable amount and I still have 90+ pounds to drop. You won't all of a sudden wake up with huge muscles. Go for it, do some research.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    a whole month?
  • Sugoiharris
    Sugoiharris Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    you definately want to build muscle, that is how you sculpt your body and get rid of flab everywhere also muscle burns more calories than fat.
  • RedVelvetCurls
    RedVelvetCurls Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I did the 30 Day Shred and lost 2 inches on each arm. Still working on them but that's a start.
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    You're right about one thing, you don't need light weights.

To firm up those arms you're going to have to pick up some heavy weights.:bigsmile:
  • jaxxie
    jaxxie Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Good luck with this thread...yikes! You need to lift weights period, of course cardio too, but cardio cal burns are over the moment you stop. You should do some research into NEW RULES OF LIFTING FOR WOMEN. There are a ton of threads on MFP. The book is incredible and it WILL help. Spot reducing is not an option, since it's a physical impossibility. Lift, lift, lift and lift heavy!

BEST Of LUCK!
  • NICOLED73
    NICOLED73 Posts: 183
    Options
    You can lose weight and possibly decrease the size of your arms some, but without weights it will still be just flab.
    I strongly suggest you use weights!!!
  • mholmquist
    mholmquist Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I recommend lifting weights. You want to build muscle to get rid of the flab.
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    It's true you need to drop weight, but if you don't start lifting now, you'll just end up with a bunch of flapping skin. Better to fill that skin with nice tone muscle as you shed the pounds. Muscle is good, it looks good, it doesn't flap about and it's presence allows your body to burn more calories when at rest. Swimming is also very good for arm/ shoulder toning, but it takes time either way. Go for it! Here is another bit of hard learned wisdom that was shared with me recently..."If you are tired of starting over, quit giving up"
  • rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    i dont think a month is enough to say things arent working, give it more time
  • row_rivers
    row_rivers Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    fat loss happens all over your body. you can't just pick and choose where you want the fat to burn. weights help in building muscle which then helps with calorie burn. but they won't necessarily fix the problem. if your arms are still flabby after you've reached a healthy body fat percentage, then you might have to blame your genetics for the disproportionate fat distribution. if you've lost a significant amount of weight in a short amount of time, it might be loose skin. in which case, it could tighten up after you've maintained that healthy weight for a long enough time.

there's no special solution to your problem whether it be fat, genetics or loose skin. the recipe is:

cardio, weights and clean eating. have a caloric deficit. patience. time.

nothing special. just the same stuff you've heard over and over again.

it sounds like you've been doing everything right. just keep doing what you're doing. don't give up.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    To get rid of the fat you just need to lose fat overall, but if you do strength training for your arms you'll at least make them less saggy while you are working on the fat.
  • irridia
    irridia Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Firstly, I clicked on your profile and only read one sentance that mattered in this discussion: "I'm a wife..."
    That tells me you are a woman. THAT tells me you have NO Testosterone. That tells me you will NOT encounter the ominous "bulking up" that so many women are needlessly afraid of... unless of course you are hitting the 'roids, which I doubt.

Come here and join us! muscles are sexy and required for health. I have a lot of fat to lose but my arms barely flap. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/4618-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

Real women lift heavy!!!
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    You're female on a calorie reduced diet, you can lift all you want. All you'll do is tone and tighten those muscles, which is what you want, no fear of developing 20 inch biceps.

That being said, if you still have lots of fat on your arms, it's still going to jiggle no matter what you do until you get rid of the fat.