HRM not accurate??

Options
I have a My Mio HRM bought at Academy (not the most expensive but def not the least expensive) and every time I log an excercise on here OR work on a machine at the gym, my HRM is at least 200 calories burnt OVER what this site says or what the machine at the gym says. I'm so confused as to which one is accurate! I am afraid of eating back my exercise calories IF I didn't really burn that amount? Any advice or help??

Replies

• TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I would trust the HRM over a machine or the computer any day....but that is just me! :)
  • JBurger2066
    JBurger2066 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I trust the HRM more (I use a Polar and experience the same thing). It has a better idea of the effort you're really exerting, especially compared to the MFP calculations.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    HRM is probably the most accurate, but still an estimate.
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    The HRM is measuring you, the computer/site is measuring what someone "should" burn. I'd go with whatever is strapped to me tbh, but if you don't feel comfy don't eat all the kcal back.

You can always check your HRM by popping it on at rest and taking a manual reading and then comparing the two values :)
  • allison7922
    allison7922 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • LovingLisa2012
    LovingLisa2012 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    if you wanted to use MFP or machines numbers , why bother buying a HRM ?

i have heard they are more accurate than MFP and most machines are based on 150 pound people

i would trust the hrm
  • allison7922
    allison7922 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    if you wanted to use MFP or machines numbers , why bother buying a HRM ?

i have heard they are more accurate than MFP and most machines are based on 150 pound people

i would trust the hrm

Because not every type of exercise is listed on MFP and not every work out I do is on a machine. Just noticed one day that the numbers were "off" and decided to ask you all. :)
  • auntkk28
    auntkk28 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I would think the HRM is more accurate, I have one and I check my HR regularly throughout my workout, an exercise machine doesn't know how hard your working out, just the time you spend on on it. I notice the harder I work out (the higher and longer I keep my HR up) the more calories I burn. My calorie burn can differ day to day for the same workout because my HR differs, the instructions that came with my HR monitor (http://www.walmart.com/ip/S7-HR-Monitor/10719753) said the more you check your HR during a workout the more accurate the calorie burn will be. Hope that helps:)
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Does your HRM have a chest strap? If yes, it should be more accurate. If not, I wouldn't trust it.
  • LauraJWStevenson
    LauraJWStevenson Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm having that same problem...mine is running about 300 higher then what my Treadmill says...and when I run some...it was almost 800 diffrence. I wanted to use it to tell how many calories I burn while doing weights or walking a trail. Now I'm not sure either..my HRM is from Wal Mart and says to check your HR often to get a better reading too....SOOOO to eat or not to eat???? Pulse from the fingertip or from the palm of my hand???
  • JayByrd107
    JayByrd107 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I'm having that same problem...mine is running about 300 higher then what my Treadmill says...and when I run some...it was almost 800 diffrence. I wanted to use it to tell how many calories I burn while doing weights or walking a trail. Now I'm not sure either..my HRM is from Wal Mart and says to check your HR often to get a better reading too....SOOOO to eat or not to eat???? Pulse from the fingertip or from the palm of my hand???

Get a new HRM that has a chest strap and ditch the one that relies on this "checking often for better results" hogwash.

As far as discrepancies between your HRM and the machine you're using, what data are you giving the machine to base its estimate off of? Whichever one has more information about YOU will give you a more accurate number and that will most likely be your HRM.
  • LauraJWStevenson
    LauraJWStevenson Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I just got this one!!! My Treadmill reads from my palm..I didn't give it any info... my HRM...knows my age and sex...thats about it. The HR on the Treadmill and HRM are really close...I've compared them too.
    I don't think I could wear something around my chest. Straps really bother me. Rubbing wise...
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I just got this one!!! My Treadmill reads from my palm..I didn't give it any info... my HRM...knows my age and sex...thats about it. The HR on the Treadmill and HRM are really close...I've compared them too.
    I don't think I could wear something around my chest. Straps really bother me. Rubbing wise...

If you can wear a bra, then you can wear a chest strap.. plain and simple.

Don't be deluded into thinking that just because the heart rate from the treadmill and the HRM are close, that the HRM is going to be anywhere near accurate.. Strapless HRM's are good for heart rate and thats about it. Calories burned will always be way off and should not even be considered.

To OP:
    If it doesn't have a strap, then it needs to go back ASAP.

Buy a Polar, and you'll be much better off.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options

The strap doesn't rub at all. In fact, it's completely unnoticeable. Way more comfortable than a bra!