Am I destined to a life without chips? :(

Options

Replies

• bostonrox
    bostonrox Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have just ordered a microwave chip maker from pampered chef. (No I am not a sales person) A friend from work let me try some and they were very good! You can use sweet potatoes also. It doesn't use oil and they are sliced real thin. You can put BBQ seasonings or I garlic and stuff. I liked them plain with salt. I can't wait to get it :) Chips are my biggest weakness and I've been craving them since I started this journey and I also wonder do I have to do without for ever because it won't work for me...I hope this thing doesn't mess me up though. I'll let you know :)
  • iwantahealthierme13
    iwantahealthierme13 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    crackers! rice thins or triscuits or crispers!
  • Deidre33
    Deidre33 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I recently tried the Special K chips(sour cream) . They are pretty good! Try those!
  • reddog101
    reddog101 Posts: 35
    Options
    A lot of opinions out there on this subject...
    I can generally take or leave chips. I never eat them for snacking, HOWEVER, I enjoy chips with a sandwich or sub.
    I now buy 40% reduced fat potato chips and usually half a serving (10 chips) is enough with my sandwich.

My favorite chip though is one thats hard for me to find. That would be Lay's Light Potato Chips. I have found one Subway that carries them. The whole bag is only 75 calories.
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    soybeans are horrible, they contain phytoestrogens, which are bad for men and women.
    Do you have a source for this? You are the first person I have EVER met that said soybeans are bad.

Here is a source for just the opposite.
    http://www.womenlivingnaturally.com/articlepage.php?id=107
  • bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    First of all... I love chips... I would probably say that is one of those foods that tastes almost as good as skinny feels... So I don't deny myself them if they fit in my calories, but i try to eat other options when I can. Buy a small bag at a time, not a huge one. Or look at walmart for this little chip microwave device that I bought... you slice a potatoe and put each slice in a little slot and then cover it with the lid and microwave it. toss it with whatever seasoning you like... so good!

And another thing I like... a cheese string sliced into rounds and broiled in the oven... it makes it crispy and chip like and soooo goood!
  • jademh
    jademh Posts: 94
    Options
    You can portion them out still.

But do that on occassion..
    Some similar alternatives:

Unsalted almonds, pretzels, Special K Cracker Chips, Rice Cakes, Potato Straws (JUST LIKE CHIPS lol found em in wal mart above rice cakes where i live), popcorn.

good luck :D
  • Melissa26point2
    Melissa26point2 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    If you don't learn portion control, replacing them with something else won't do you any good.

It's not reasonable to completely cut out foods you love. You just have to learn how to work them into your diet / lifestyle. Buy a food scale and weigh out a serving size of ships. it is very reasonable to have 1 oz of Sun Chips (140 cal for the Garden Salsa kind). I've heard Pop Chips are awesome too and those Special K baked chips are bomb.com. Also, Costco sales Veggie Straws. They are crunchy like chips, and made with vegetables, but they are light and airy. SO good!
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    you don't even need to have a scale. nutrition info will say "about X chips" as a serving. so have about X chips.
  • mccarol1956
    mccarol1956 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I eat chips in moderation. I also like the BBQ Popchips. I think they are awesome.
  • Micahroni84
    Micahroni84 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Popcorn Indiana makes some really great "chips" made from popcorn. You get 18 chips for about 130 calories and I think 4 grams a fat. They totally satisfy my chip cravings.
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I eat chips EVERY DAY. Sorry, not going to cut them out. I refuse.

I LOVE Lay's Light potato chips. They are made with Olestra. They are FAT FREE! Love them. You can have around 20 chips for like 80 calories.

I also LOVE Special K Cracker Chips....The cheddar ones are the bomb! I have also tried the Sour Cream & Onion which are really good. 27 chips for 110 calories. Can't beat that.
  • sondra216379
    sondra216379 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I sometimes, if calories allow, have just a small bag of prepackaged chips...usually around 160 calories, satisfies the craving but you don't eat too many!
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    Just eat chips but only 1 serving.
  • elsham
    elsham Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Or make your own! Sweet potato chips, YUM!
  • RitaChu
    RitaChu Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    if chips are a trigger food.. steer clear until you know you have enough willpower to only eat a portioned amount. There are other healthier options: baked Kale chips, sweet potato chips & my favorite treat which are baked spiced chickpeas.. All super easy to make :)

http://www.fatgirltrappedinaskinnybody.com/2011/09/baked-spiced-chickpeas-secret-recipe-club/

g-luck :)
  • howeclectic
    howeclectic Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I eat chips EVERY DAY. Sorry, not going to cut them out. I refuse.

I LOVE Lay's Light potato chips. They are made with Olestra. They are FAT FREE! Love them. You can have around 20 chips for like 80 calories.

I also LOVE Special K Cracker Chips....The cheddar ones are the bomb! I have also tried the Sour Cream & Onion which are really good. 27 chips for 110 calories. Can't beat that.

Ditto. I eat chips nearly 4-5 times a week. Even those big bags of chips from Jimmy Johns... yum. I just make sure i stay within my calorie goals and the weight still comes off....
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I LOVE chips!!! I do not eat them because it is hard to stop. Almonds give me the same happiness as chips....you could try those. I had to stop...again, wanted to eat too many of them like chips!!

But, maybe once you have your diet is on track, I do have a cheat day once a week. It really helps with cravings, because I know that I can eat it Friday!! Maybe that could be an option for you, have a day that you can eat chips.
  • sclaw1
    sclaw1 Posts: 1
    Options
    Oh yes, I might! I feel the same way about chips--I can not eat a sandwich without them. But if they are in the house, I can not stop until they are gone. I saw this recipe on Pinterest and for me, it works. It has the crunch, the salt, the potato flavor. It will never match a good bag of Tim's Cascade, but you can eat an entire 10 oz. potatoe's worth for 110 calories. On Weight Watchers it is zero points because there is no oil whatsoever. Here's what you do:

Slice a Russet Potato very thinly--almost see through. You can't possibly do this with a knife so you have to have a slicer of some sort. I use a little hand-held model with an adjustable blade.

Lay the slices out on a sheet of parchment paper. No overlaps.

Salt them. Or add whatever--pepper, vinegar, garlic salt, your choice.

Put them in the microwave and cook for 6 minutes, or until they start to turn a light brown in the middle. I've found sometimes it takes a little less time, sometimes a little more. They should be completely crisp when you take them out.

EAT them! Hope this works for you!
  • BeckyProctor
    BeckyProctor Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Baked Lays or Special K Cracker Chips