I'd like to be vegetarian but need some help and advice.

Options
grrrlface
grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
As the title says, I'm a bit stuck for what to do.

I'm not a big meat eater at the best of times, I eat chicken and bacon (as long as I don't prepare any of it!). I have two reasons, I don't like preparing meat, as I said, and I feel guilty. The more I eat meat, the worse I feel. Today I just want to give it up for good!

My problem is my partner insists that every meal we eat includes meat, preparing seperate meals is no problem for me but I can't convince him that it would be a good idea. He's a chef so every farm animal he sees he makes a comment like 'mmm tasty...' but I feel for me it would be best as I feel so bad.

I'd just like some people who live a vegetarian lifestyle to give me some advice on how you made the transition from eating meat to vegetarian? Was it easy? I have absolutely no problem with giving up meat, so do you have someone in your life that made in difficult for you?

Replies

• dreanance
    dreanance Posts: 246
    Options
    Thankfully my husband will eat what I cook. I became vegetarian after reading several books and for a few months he would eat meat while we were out but not at home. Eventually he read the books I had laying around and he gave up meat also. I think I got pretty lucky :) I would have a really hard time having meat in my house.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I went cold turkey. I was never much of a meat eater. I don't like preparing it either. It was easy for me. My husband would eat whatever I prepared because I was the one making the meals. He eventually became a vegetarian as well (he is choice after watching food inc).

I don't suggest you going cold turkey unless you don't have a problem with it, meat substitutes are great for making the transition but don't make them the basis of your diet.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I think I could do cold turkey. I really don't enjoy meat, when I'm eating it I start imagining it raw then I end up leaving it. I don't know why but that's part of the reason I can't prepare it, I think of it more than if someone does it for me! :flowerforyou:

The guilt has become worse since I went to a farm shop with my partner as he wanted some meat and I saw the animals they kill for the butcher's shop. I mean, it's good that they're free-range, organic etc. etc. and you can see it yourself but I couldn't look at them and then think of eating them. I feel very guilty.