Foodies

Options
I'm struggling. I love to cook. I love to eat. I know I'm supposed to focus on what I "can" have, rather than what I'm depriving myself, but it's soooooo hard. For instance, I had raw bell pepper strips with my lunch today. They were sweet, crunchy, and delicious. I looked forward to enjoying them! But I cannot 'unknow' that they would have been even better paired with a small strip of provalone, wrapped in prosciutto, drizzled with olive oil and balsamic vinegar, and savored with a glass of Prosecco.

How are you getting along with the reduction in quantity of certain ingredients and not feeling like you're missing out on the wonderful richness of dining and cooking experiences?

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I fit foods I like into my calorie and macronutrient goals.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

This. If you can't enjoy the foods that you love within your nutritional goals, then you are doing it wrong.
  • pixelish
    pixelish Posts: 54
    Options

That's great if you've got over 3000 calories at your disposal, but I've got 1280! It feels like my entire day is made up of just raw fruits and veggies. :(
  • jessicawrites
    jessicawrites Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    It's a matter of getting (even) more creative, and of course keeping an eye on portion control. Use your knowledge of outstanding flavor pairings to put together leaner meals that still feel luxurious, or experiment with cooking foods from other countries that will be exotic but still healthy. I'm on an Indian/curry kick right now because the break from my usual Mediterranean/American leanings feels fresh, and the food is still very diet-friendly (lentils, new spice pairings that cost negligible calories, that awesome cooling sauce made from nonfat plain yogurt, cucumber, and dill...).

When you're dying to make something more decadent, do it, but have a plan: make your provalone/prosciutto peppers for an appetizer and follow it with a lighter dinner, or bake something that you know you can give away.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options

That's great if you've got over 3000 calories at your disposal, but I've got 1280! It feels like my entire day is made up of just raw fruits and veggies. :(

I splurge on something really super insanely delicious and full of calories probably once a week. I just make sure I've worked out extra hard that day so it fits in my calories just fine. My favorites are those days I knock out a 10-12 mile run...I go to TOWN on some delicious goodness!! Wine and beer are my thing...I make sure I can work a glass of red wine or some good beer into my diet as often as possible. But if I don't work out that day, no beer for me!

Also, find some low-cal alternatives to your favorite things. There are tons of recipes online and ways to make something not so healthy into something you can eat more often. It probably won't be quite the same, but it's a good alternative. Or, eat what you like, just in smaller portions so you're still getting a taste of what you're craving, without ruining your progress.
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I find if I really concentrate it's no problem, as actually (I'm a serious foodie) most things I really like fit into my calorie goals anyway. If not, I get more exercise and maybe cut down each day either way to allow myself an indulgent meal out...
  • pixelish
    pixelish Posts: 54
    Options
    It's a matter of getting (even) more creative, and of course keeping an eye on portion control. Use your knowledge of outstanding flavor pairings to put together leaner meals that still feel luxurious, or experiment with cooking foods from other countries that will be exotic but still healthy. I'm on an Indian/curry kick right now because the break from my usual Mediterranean/American leanings feels fresh, and the food is still very diet-friendly (lentils, new spice pairings that cost negligible calories, that awesome cooling sauce made from nonfat plain yogurt, cucumber, and dill...).

When you're dying to make something more decadent, do it, but have a plan: make your provalone/prosciutto peppers for an appetizer and follow it with a lighter dinner, or bake something that you know you can give away.

Yes, portion control is clearly a big part of this. Damn my little frame! I really like the idea of more South Asian cuisine. I think we've got one Indian cookbook and I'm certain I've got a pound of lentils in the pantry. Time to bust that out. It's been too long since I stretched my cullinary skills. Thanks for the idea.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I eat anything and everything I want. In moderation of course.

Minus the wine, I would eat that snack you mentioned any day, and feel zero guilt about it. This is why exercise/strength training is awesome.

Edited for typo
  • bio_fit
    bio_fit Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Last week I had some lovely fresh trout, baked with parsley, lemon and a dash of white wine, served with steamed samphire and green veggies. I am sure that came in under 400 cals :smile:
  • DawnM62
    DawnM62 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I too love food shopping for it preparing and cooking it and finally eating it

so what do I do?

I've found a whole nother wonderful outlet to be even more creative look at my diary it's open haven't been at this long and still get things wrong but overall it's ok
  • loseiteli
    loseiteli Posts: 242 Member
    Options

Yep. This! I refuse to give up my favorites, granted I am adding things that I didnt eat before, and the portions are WAY different. But I want to be able to do this for the next 80 years. :drinker:
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options

Do you have time to workout more? Lots of us exercise more so we can eat more....In about 1 hour you could burn over 500 cals.....That's like 50% more for you.....It's all about choices.....
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options

How are you getting along with the reduction in quantity of certain ingredients and not feeling like you're missing out on the wonderful richness of dining and cooking experiences?

REduction in quality? No way! Make new healthier combos! I am weird, I love raw bell peppers. But they are also amazing, of course in a light vinaigrette. Proscuitto, that's not bad besides the sodium. Or how about making a yummy dip with greek yogurt?

I make the same stuff, with a few minor healthier swaps:less oil, Wellshire Farms reduced fat bacon (amazing!!!), a little bit less cheese, but something with stronger flavor.

Being a foodie actually makes things easier. You are already into trying new foods and ingredients and techniques. Just focus on the healthier ones for daily cooking, and save the less healthy ones for occasional splurges.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

This. If you can't enjoy the foods that you love within your nutritional goals, then you are doing it wrong.
    Yep, this is how it works. It's called a lifestyle for a reason. I never deprive myself of anything, and some days... I even go over my calories... :noway: Then again, what's a few days of going over calories compared to the rest of my life? If I deprive myself of things now, that means I won't be able to eat them later, because I haven't learned how to balance them.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    i eat exactly what i want. had fatty, delicious salmon today even though shrimp or white fish would be MUCH lower in calories.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options

I've done the same thing on 1750. You might want to consider increasing your activity/intensity so you can eat more.
  • Becky_Boodle
    Becky_Boodle Posts: 253 Member
    Options

Do you have time to workout more? Lots of us exercise more so we can eat more....In about 1 hour you could burn over 500 cals.....That's like 50% more for you.....It's all about choices.....
    Yes!!! That is why I run 8km a day and hit the gym for an hour of weights 3 times a week...
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options

I have 1230. Quality over quantity is where it's at.
  • Becky_Boodle
    Becky_Boodle Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    i eat exactly what i want. had fatty, delicious salmon today even though shrimp or white fish would be MUCH lower in calories.
    I had shrimp for lunch on my tortilla pizza and I plan on having salmon for dinner!!! :)
  • MissCheese
    MissCheese Posts: 195 Member
    Options

This /\/\/\

I'm currently experimenting in the kitchen with low fat/calorie baking.