I have a gym membership - what machines should I use?

Options
Hey everyone! I'm new to strength training so I'm not really sure what machines I should use and which ones I should skip.

I want to come up with a circuit plan for upper body and lower body days. Which machines should I use? I'm wanting to lose weight, not bulk up. But in order to build lean muscle I've heard I have to do more than cardio.

What do your workouts look like?

(I'm a 22 year old female and weight 170 lbs, if that helps the equation at all).

Thank you!

Replies

• rubysphoto
    rubysphoto Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Some gyms if staffed may give you a free session to go over the machines. That would ensure the safest way to start. Let us know how it goes. :-)
  • kaydensmom12
    Options
    I only use the leg press and leg extension machines. I lift heavy and just use the free weights/dumbbells, trust me you will not bulk up! I go on bodybuilding.com and click find a plan. I use the exercises there and go as heavy as I can.
  • docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I think the best machine you can use a the gym is your body, to move around heavy things in natural free movements rather than moving a lever in a fixed position.
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I would avoid the machines and get a trainer to show you on the free weights. Good luck
  • _Schatzi_
    _Schatzi_ Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I just went through this myself! I decided I was going to start by going around to every weight resistance machine after my cardio and do just one set of 10 reps, at a comfortable weight. That way I got to know them a bit, and I asked one of the trainers about the ones I couldn't figure out.

Then I made a plan that would work for me. I do cardio 7 days a week, but decided to do Arms + Back (MWF) and Legs + Abs (T, TH). Weekend I can go do something else fun and recover. I have a log that I record each set. I do three sets of 10 reps: one set at a light weight, one at medium weight, and one at heavy weight. I define these as little effort (tired at 10), good effort (tired at 9 or 10) and serious effort (struggle to get from 6-10). Usually there is a about a 5lb difference between the weights.

I just started, like I said, so we'll see how it goes!
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Pick up a copy of The New Rules of Lifting for a good year's worth of workouts to break you into lifting and help you make awesome progress. Use as few machines as possible and spend the bulk of your time with the free weights. Cardio not required.
  • LovesGG
    LovesGG Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    356wy0.jpg
  • Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Free weights are great, if you have a spotter. However, many of the exercises like bench press cannot be safely done alone. Friendless people such as myself have to stick to the machines for the most part though I do free weight curls.
  • Lennox497
    Lennox497 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    356wy0.jpg

hahaha this is my favorite MEME
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    For kick butt cardio I do the Cybex Arc Trainer and the Precor 100i AMT. Otherwise I use the weights as I am doing the New Rules of Lifting for Women program. It is based on the book called New Rules of Lifting for Women (NRoL4W). There is a MFP group you can join to learn more about it.
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Pick up a copy of The New Rules of Lifting for a good year's worth of workouts to break you into lifting and help you make awesome progress. Use as few machines as possible and spend the bulk of your time with the free weights. Cardio not required.

THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Free weights are great, if you have a spotter. However, many of the exercises like bench press cannot be safely done alone. Friendless people such as myself have to stick to the machines for the most part though I do free weight curls.

This is where the beauty of human relations (no, not the intimate kind) comes into play. There is generally more than one person lifting weights at any given time, and, unless they're total *kitten*, they won't mind spotting you a couple sets. You might even make a friend that you can lift with. Crazy concept, I know!

If you're really socially anxious, just start light and slowly work up the amount of weight you can lift and know where your limits are and don't try to exceed it on your own. Simple enough.
  • Lennox497
    Lennox497 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    In my opinion and this is only my opinion. The machines are a trap. I prefer free weights, dumbbells and such. Another post listed your body as the best machine, in which I agree whole heartily. Another valuable thing at a gym, is open space.