Any tips of making whole roasted chicken

Options
Gohomebay
Gohomebay Posts: 116 Member
i usually smother with butter etc but don't want to do that, can I just put spices on the chicken will it be moist enough?

Replies

• Zoe678
    Zoe678 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I like to rub minced garlic and ginger on mine. If you dont want to baste in the fat that accumulates at the bottom of the pan you could use something like orange juice.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I cover the chicken loosely with foil so it retains juices. You should brush with some olive oil though, and especially if you don't eat the skin, it shouldn't destroy your diet.
  • Lisammy
    Lisammy Posts: 35
    Options
    I just made a whole roasted chicken this week. No butter or oil on it. Just the spices. I like to use Mrs Dash, paprika, onion powder, pepper, and a couple tsp. of sugar. Makes it taste like one of those rotisserie chickens ;) I think the chicken skin kinda bastes itself in the oven, no need to apply extra calories w/ the butter. You can even rub the spices up under the skin & in the cavity. DELISH! Oh also, I bake mine breast side down for all but the last 5 min of baking (keeps the breast moist) During the last 5 min. I flip the bird breast side up again and turn up the heat to around 425-450 F and crisp up the skin.
  • micwik
    micwik Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I roast my chicken the same way as Lisammy. I also though put half an onion in the cavity of the chicken. I find it adds a bit of extra flavour to the chicken as well.
  • TheDoctorDana
    TheDoctorDana Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Olive oil rub and lemon pepper :)
  • ChasityLindsey
    ChasityLindsey Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I just fixed this last night! I put mine in the crock pot with whatever spices you want and a diet mt dew. It was so moist and tender that it fell apart. It was absolutly delish!!
    :tongue:
  • Gohomebay
    Gohomebay Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Excellent thanks everyone tomorrow I will be cookin the bird will try with small bit of oil and lots of herbs I am sure it will be delicious without butter lol I just keep thinking of Julia child
  • pixelish
    pixelish Posts: 54
    Options
    I help tenderize the bird with citrus - either lemon, lime, or orange. I cut 4 slices, work them under the skin over the breast and place the rest of the fruit into the cavity of the bird, along with a clove or two of garlic and a cut up onion. Then I dust the skin with salt, pepper and herbs that pair well with the citrus (e.g., thyme for lemon, cilantro and mint for lime, rosemarry with orange). To get the skin to crisp nicely, just put the bird into a hot oven for the first 10-15 minutes (like 425) and turn the temp down to 350 for the remaining roasting time. The skin is mostly fat to begin with, you don't really need to add more.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I brine.

Bring 2 quarts water, 1c kosher salt, and 1c sugar to a boil, along with any herbs/spices you want infused into your bird. I've used allspice or poultry seasoning, a good tablespoon or so. Then stir in 2 quarts ice cubes to dilute and bring to refrigerator temp. Alternatively, bring 4qts water to boil and then chill it down.

Soak the bird for 3-4 hours, let drain 1/2 hour in fridge, roast.
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I usually brush mine with olive oil. Not a lot, just enough to coat and make the herbs and spices stick.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    i usually smother with butter etc but don't want to do that, can I just put spices on the chicken will it be moist enough?

If you turn the chicken upside down and wrap it in tin foil before putting it in the oven, all the juices that are naturally in the chicken run to the bottom of the pan. When you take it out and turn the chick the right way up, it will have been continually basteing itself in its own juice throughout cooking. Do this and it does not dry out.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Crock pot chicken with spices, sometime even just a bit of poultry seasoning is nice. It stays moist.
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    anyone has a brining recipe that isn't so complicated? i :heart: roasted chicken but i donno how to brine it properly
  • GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I like to peel and apple and put in the cavity. It gives it a nice taste & makes it juicy. You could also spray the outside with nonstick spray instead of using butter and then add your seasoning to it.
  • theNurseNancy
    Options
    Injector marinade! The one I get is 0 cals, then I season the outside with a rub and the chicken bastes itself.

I use the bones and some trimmings to make my own chicken stock too.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    stuff the insides with lemons or oranges - real nice.
  • Motivation
    Motivation Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Personally i'm a big fan of rubs. If you don't have one, get a rotisserie.. you won't be sorry! As far as what to put on it, just have fun with it.
  • Puddykat1026
    Puddykat1026 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    This is simple & always a big hit when I make it. Never dry and full of flavor:

Ingredients:
    1 whole chicken (approximately 4 pounds)
    1/2 cup fresh lemon juice, plus 3 whole lemons—including 1 sliced for garnish
    1 tablespoon kosher or coarse sea salt
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
    Fresh herbs for garnish (4 rosemary sprigs, 4 sage sprigs, 8 thyme sprigs, and 1 bunch flat-leaf parsley)
    1. Position an oven rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat the oven to 400°F. Remove the giblets from the chicken, wash the chicken inside and out with cold water, then let the chicken drain, cavity down, in a colander for 2 minutes.

2. Pat the chicken dry with paper towels. Place the chicken breast-side down in a medium roasting pan fi tted with a rack and pour the lemon juice all over the chicken, both inside and out. Season the chicken all over with salt and pepper inside and out.

3. Prick 2 whole lemons three times each in three different places with a fork and place them deep inside the cavity. Chicken cavity size may vary, so if one lemon is partly sticking out, that’s fine. (Tip: If the lemons are stiff, roll them on the countertop with your palm before pricking to get the juices flowing.)

4. Put the chicken in the oven, lower the oven temperature to 350°F, and roast, uncovered, for 15 minutes.

5. Remove the roasting pan from the oven. Using tongs or two wooden spoons, turn the chicken breast- side up. Insert a meat thermometer in the thigh, and return the chicken to the oven and roast for about 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes or until the meat thermometer reads 180°F and the juices run clear when the thigh is pricked with a fork. Continue roasting if necessary. Keep in mind that cooking times in different ovens vary; roasting a chicken at 350°F takes approximately 18-20 minutes per pound, plus an additional 15 minutes.

6. Let the chicken rest for 10 minutes before carving. And here’s the secret: Pour the juices from the roasting pan on top of the sliced chicken. Garnish with fresh herbs and lemon slices.
  • stacygayle
    stacygayle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Brush the skin with olive oil (you don't have to eat the skin) then sprinkle with poultry seasoning bake at 400 for an hour and 15 minutes basting every 15 - 20 minutes. I put a lemon halved with sprigs of rosemary inside the cavity while baking and 1/2 a cup of chicken broth with 5 or so cloves of garlic ....this is when I used to eat low fat/calorie

I eat low carb now so I put butter mixed with poultry seasoning usually under the skin and bake it for the same amount of time with the rest of the ingredients.

Either way my chicken always comes out moist and delicious.
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    Canola oil rub down, then salt, fresh cracked pepper the outside and give a generous portion of crushed rosemary, and thyme.

Roast in oven on wire rack (in baking sheet) at 450 degrees for 20 minutes and then reduce to 350 degrees for about 40 more minutes. Looking at about 1 hour cooking time total (but check it don't pull an undercooked bird).

Check temp at leg and thigh joint, liquid should run clear when you 'poke' it. and We're looking for about 165 degrees, remove (don't cover or the crispy outside will get soggy). Carryover cooking may take it to 170 degrees

Serve with a nice (from scratch) rice Pialf and some grilled (pan seared) asparagus.

I'm hungry now.