Return of the pregnancy belly...anyone else?

Options
Right. Started off at 174lbs in November 2010. Have been slowly losing since then. 20/21lbs down now. Went from having a obviously very fat stomach to one that looked much flatter. Started running fairly recently.

For the past two weeks, that stomach has been back. I've gone back to having a round belly that looks pregnant, and feeling fat. I panicked for a few days when I first noticed, spent a minute or two prodding and poking and realised I had solid muscle underneath it that I'd never felt before.

Two weeks on, it's looking worse than ever. I'm feeling like I need to go back to bigger clothes again, but I can still feel the muscle underneath the fat. This evening, getting annoyed with it after I put on my running capris, I asked my fiance what he thought. He said he could see what I mean, but the shape was different to when it was just fat. He said he could clearly see that though my stomach was looking round again, it looked 'smaller'. Hard to explain, but he decided (as I'd hoped, but not mentioned) that it was like the muscle was pushing the remaining fat out.

Has anyone else experienced this as they've lost? I'd become pretty used to having a fairly flat stomach so I don't like how it looks now, but I KNOW that overall it's improving. I just need this fat to disappear now, because what's underneath is hopefully going to look pretty good.

If anyone else has noticed the return of their 'pregnancy belly', how long did it take to lose it again? I know it's different for everyone - just interested to hear!

Replies

• sheryllamb72
    sheryllamb72 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Yep, my tum has started to look a little "rounder" lately, but it's because the muscle is getting closer to the surface and pushing the fat out.

It's bloody annoying tho......grrrrr :mad:
  • dewgirl321
    dewgirl321 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I think sometimes it has to do with the hips slimming first or faster, so even if your tummy is slimming too, it can look bigger because the proportion difference is bigger, if that makes sense! Just keep eating right and keep up the cardio! I found for me that it also helps to take CLA.
  • Buttercupmcgee
    Buttercupmcgee Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    My belly always pooches out, so hugs to you! Have you been drastically altering your diet? Perhaps it's water retention or IBS as a result of new foods being introduced lately. If it helps, I have been at this for 2 weeks and I feel bigger than when I started. Maybe our brains just become hyper critical because we're focused on it like never before.
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    My belly always pooches out, so hugs to you! Have you been drastically altering your diet? Perhaps it's water retention or IBS as a result of new foods being introduced lately. If it helps, I have been at this for 2 weeks and I feel bigger than when I started. Maybe our brains just become hyper critical because we're focused on it like never before.

Glad I'm not the only one noticing this on their body!

No change to the diet lately. Been doing the same thing food-wise since I started. The only fairly recent thing is the addition of running, which seems to have caused it! Bah, humbug.
  • annamc18
    annamc18 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    My grandmother still looks like she's pregnant. Its super round, a lot like what you are describing.

What her doctor told her is that sometimes in pregnancy, sometimes the abdominal muscles become displaced and they tear or something but never fully come back together, even if you diet or work out.

I am not sure what you would have to do to make them go back together, but maybe something you could research online?
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    This is what In found. I had the same issue, always looked bloated even though I had mice abs....like they were sticking out.

You need to work your core, your transverse abs. These are your inner abs, and it will pull your tummy in. They got stretched out during pregnancy and crunches do not get those.

I started doing planks and ab vacuums. Youtube ab vacuums. Those are very extreme and they are people that can do it very well....mine do not look like that, but I am getting better.

BTW: I have 6 kids and my youngest is 2 1/2. HTH
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Just want to clarify I've never actually been pregnant. Apologies. I was just using 'pregnancy belly' to describe the round shape.
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    haha...OK...still do planks and ab vacuums. They are good for everyone.