One cheat meal is not going to hurt you

Options

Replies

• adamb83
    adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I cheated every Sunday for months, don't do it now.

I think the biggest reason people freak is due to the gain they see on the scale the next day from water retention.

^^^ Yes! My cheat days are usually tacos or pizza, or something like it. It took a while for me to realize what was actually happening with the scale's next-day vengeance.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m17gqsA7Kb1qke924o1_500.png

Having a scheduled cheat meal is not rewarding yourself with food. It's those people who constantly think well I just did a Zumba class and burned a supposed 600 calories now I'm going to McDonalds bc I have earned it! Yea ok. My cheat meals are not rewards; it is a way of controlling my food and enjoying a night with friends or whatever. Plus my body likes the break in calories. It allows some to reintroduce foods back into their regimens and learn moderation.
  • DeanneLea
    DeanneLea Posts: 261
    Options
    Some people can't handle the cheat day because they consider it a "cheat". I know I had trouble doing it. Now, I have weekly bonus calories that I use for my splurges whether it's one day or two or three...I just make sure I'm within the amount I've set for myself. My daily average of calorie intake ends up at a healthy losing rate because it's planned ahead.

It works so well for me because I'm splurging and eating the things I love but I'm not cheating because I've allowed those calories beforehand. When someone cheats with anything in life, the initial feeling is guilt and that can go with dieting as well. Sometimes it's all in the word...I call them high days or spike days.
  • lmfbs
    lmfbs Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I don't cheat...I EAT. I do not understand this cheat thing. What exactly is one cheating on... Do people plan on going the rest of their lives without eating out or eating cake or whatever else. That is why diets fail. You need to work these things into your lifestyle. All things in moderation. It works.

This. Exactly. Yesterday, I wanted a muffin. I had a muffin and a hot chocolate. I was about 500cal over at the end of the day - but I've been good the rest of the week, I've burnt about 1000 cal extra this week, and my muffin was delicious. Tonight, I'm planning on having a 1200 calorie dinner, which, after lunch, a delicious Friday cookie snack and a good 90min at the gym, will still probably set me over my calories a bit. You know, that's fine with me - it's a couple of days in my month that aren't 'good'. I also had McDonalds twice yesterday (but made better choices).

That's still a MILLION times better than what I was doing before this, and my total calories over this week will still be under my 500cal/day deficit, so while I might lose less this week, I should still lose.

I'm never going to be a perfect eater who gets perfect macros every day. I don't care. I just want to do better than yesterday.
  • witchywillow
    witchywillow Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    i dont have a cheat day as such, i stick to my mfp cals and save up my cheat day for if im goin out and i know im gonna be eating a meal out, which is once in a blue moon but i know i then dont have to worry and panick about where im gonna eat or where im gonna eat
  • DeanneLea
    DeanneLea Posts: 261
    Options
    The thing about planning cheat meals is that it can definitely get out of hand for some people, regardless of how well you "planned it". The problem with most "cheat" foods is that they are very unhealthy, full of processed, highly concentrated fats and sugars and things that should just not go into your body period. Those things are quite literally addictive for some people, especially those struggling with their weight (how do you think they became overweight in the first place? it definitely wasn't by having "one treat a week") With some people, certain foods lead to a strong, almost insatiable desire for MORE MORE MORE. And if it was that easy for them to just stop at one bite or one meal, they probably wouldn't be overweight now.

I was the opposite. Once I started incorporating my trigger foods...I stopped binging. It's when I deprive myself that I end up binging. It took me a long time to learn that and now I've been binge free since December(which is HUGE considering where I was before)
  • hitmewitdarock
    Options
    i really dont call it cheating... i workout hard everyday (1000 calories or more) and if i want something rich and creamy then i go ahead... i earn my snack time.. just not too much and not too often just enough here and there... i dont eat junk food or fast food or drink soda so when i get to have a high calorie snack i think i enjoy it more...

im almost always a 1000 calories under my goal anyway...
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options

I'm not a dog. I was a 423lb kid digging an early grave. This is a way of life for me, and many of others who I am friends with.
  • Fieldsy
    Options
    I actually cheat *every* day - I just eat less of my cheat foods than before! It's the best way for me, because I find if I cheat by a huge amount my stomach stretches or something so I want that much food every day! I've heard that if you stop eating "bad" foods then you stop craving them, so I'm trying to wean myself off processed altogether. Slowly.

I will "cheat" also on most days....whether its chips, a few reese minis, a cookie or two. As long as I am within my goals then I don't think its cheating. What a cheat day to me is a day of not giving a care in the world of what I am eating/drinking.
  • ampa916
    ampa916 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I think it all depends on the person, you know? I don't like have cheat days, I've tried them, where I scheduled them in. I have tried just having a quick meal, but for me right now, the only that works is restriction of the unhealthy foods. I am not the kind of person that can have just 1oz of chips, no i eat the whole bag, when we order pizza i can easily put away half of it. If I ever tell myself that it is ok, then I lose the control I need. I know some people who can't not have a cheat day. They eat what they like/love and still lose weight because they can do it moderation. i don't have that self control yet. I just can't tell myself that a little bit is ok and to go ahead because I mindlessly eat it all before realizing really how much I've had.
  • Fieldsy
    Options
    I think it all depends on the person, you know? I don't like have cheat days, I've tried them, where I scheduled them in. I have tried just having a quick meal, but for me right now, the only that works is restriction of the unhealthy foods. I am not the kind of person that can have just 1oz of chips, no i eat the whole bag, when we order pizza i can easily put away half of it. If I ever tell myself that it is ok, then I lose the control I need. I know some people who can't not have a cheat day. They eat what they like/love and still lose weight because they can do it moderation. i don't have that self control yet. I just can't tell myself that a little bit is ok and to go ahead because I mindlessly eat it all before realizing really how much I've had.

Do you substitute foods that you love and are unhealthy with the healthy version? This is another way to enjoy the foods you love without missing out....examples...

Pepsi> Diet Pepsi (or even the new Next)
    Buffalo Wings> Grill some wings and add a little hot sauce
    Egg Rolls > Veggie spring rolls
  • Fieldsy
    Options
    i dont have a cheat day as such, i stick to my mfp cals and save up my cheat day for if im goin out and i know im gonna be eating a meal out, which is once in a blue moon but i know i then dont have to worry and panick about where im gonna eat or where im gonna eat

Thats kinda where I am at. I plan out my calories for the week. For a week I try to eat 4,200 cals under maintenance, so I eat low 5 days a week, mini cheat/cheat day on weekends.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options

nope. because my food options taste much better.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    The thing about planning cheat meals is that it can definitely get out of hand for some people, regardless of how well you "planned it". The problem with most "cheat" foods is that they are very unhealthy, full of processed, highly concentrated fats and sugars and things that should just not go into your body period. Those things are quite literally addictive for some people, especially those struggling with their weight (how do you think they became overweight in the first place? it definitely wasn't by having "one treat a week") With some people, certain foods lead to a strong, almost insatiable desire for MORE MORE MORE. And if it was that easy for them to just stop at one bite or one meal, they probably wouldn't be overweight now.

the only unhealthy food is one eaten in excess.
    but my point is, what is keeping someone who TRULY has a problem with junk food from eating it in excess? absolutely nothing. simple self control isn't even enough to keep a binge eater from grabbing another cookie, or another twelve cookies. Or having four more slices of pizza after their first.

well, no. that's exactly the thing keeping them from eating more. no one is forcing them to eat X amount of anything. you make a decision. do I eat that or do I not eat that. not eating something you might like to have/have more of? that's pretty much the definition of self control.
  • witchywillow
    witchywillow Posts: 143 Member
    Options

sorry should say where im gonna eat or wat im gonna eat lol
  • Fieldsy
    Options

Having a scheduled cheat meal is not rewarding yourself with food. It's those people who constantly think well I just did a Zumba class and burned a supposed 600 calories now I'm going to McDonalds bc I have earned it! Yea ok. My cheat meals are not rewards; it is a way of controlling my food and enjoying a night with friends or whatever. Plus my body likes the break in calories. It allows some to reintroduce foods back into their regimens and learn moderation.

Agreed.
  • LReReed
    LReReed Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    My favorite meals are bad for me. Now, instead of eating them each weekly, I reserve them for special occasions and modify some of the recipes to make them healthier.

I agree 100% with modifying the recipes to make them healthier. For example, something as simple as using fat-free or lite ingredients, ground turkey instead of ground beef, or putting mustard instead of mayo on sandwiches, can cut almost half of the original calories.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    My favorite meals are bad for me. Now, instead of eating them each weekly, I reserve them for special occasions and modify some of the recipes to make them healthier.

I agree 100% with modifying the recipes to make them healthier. For example, something as simple as using fat-free or lite ingredients, ground turkey instead of ground beef, or putting mustard instead of mayo on sandwiches, can cut almost half of the original calories.

That' fine if you like the modified recipe. Some people only like the real thing.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options

the only unhealthy food is one eaten in excess.
    but my point is, what is keeping someone who TRULY has a problem with junk food from eating it in excess? absolutely nothing. simple self control isn't even enough to keep a binge eater from grabbing another cookie, or another twelve cookies. Or having four more slices of pizza after their first.

well, no. that's exactly the thing keeping them from eating more. no one is forcing them to eat X amount of anything. you make a decision. do I eat that or do I not eat that. not eating something you might like to have/have more of? that's pretty much the definition of self control.

Actually, recent studies on willpower say that it is limited. A person who has trouble controlling his or her overreating is probably going to have a lot of trouble resisting poor choices just using willpower. I suggest adding structure. Organize your life so you will have to make fewer decisions about poor eating. Don't bring it home. Don't have a cheat day because in your case you know you'll abuse it.

In short, know yourself.
  • cally69
    cally69 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I don't have a 'cheat day' but I work my calories on a weekly basis and I save a little each day so at the end of the week on a Sunday I have more calories to spend. That way I can have a cooked breakfast or treat myself to something that I wouldn't usually have. Likewise if I'm going out for a meal, I plan my week around it. As long as I'm within my weekly calories allowance it's fine. I also think it's better for the body not to expect the exact same amount of calorie intake each day. Good luck to all of you on your journeys!
    X