Is it worth $25 for a SV?

Options

Replies

• dbutorac
    dbutorac Posts: 120
    Options
    Go for it, but they are your records and they are not suppose to charge a person for their own records.
  • sunshine__angel
    sunshine__angel Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I think it's a great way to physically SEE how far you've come. It will also be great motivation to stay on the right path. Congratulations on losing 87lbs (possibly 109)! I would pay $25 for it as a constant reminder that I can do whatever I put my mind to.
  • CherryOnionKiss
    CherryOnionKiss Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I'm paying 80$ just to so my doctor can refille my prescriptions.
    So no 25$ for a SV is not crazy.
  • deadmittens
    deadmittens Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Your doctor shouldn't be charging you $25... I work for a doctors office. We only charge if you want more than the past 2 years.
  • natvanessa
    natvanessa Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I say it's no one's business what you do with your money!!
    Do it!
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    What a great idea!!!!

$25 is a SMALL price to pay for a tangible motivator.

FRAME THAT BABY!!! :bigsmile:

And congrats on your great sucess! Remember not to focus too much on the self loathing of who you were, focus more on how proud your are now and learn to love your new body and all the things you can do with it. :flowerforyou:
  • fritostyle
    Options
    Also, isn't it YOUR medical record? I don't know the protocol on that sort of thing but it seems odd to me to charge you to give you something that belongs to you AND you have already paid them to take the records in the first place?

Legally the medical record is the physicians, but the 'some' of the information in that record is the patients and it isn't uncommon for doctors or offices to charge you for a copy, of course they will send a copy to other providers at no cost. Depending on what information you are asking for, such as immunizations, most won't charge, but if you are asking for your entire record the physician typically goes through your entire medical record and will determine what information that is 'theirs', they are willing to give and share with you. Depending on the individual and the amount of medical records they have to go through can be time consuming and is usually the basis of the charge.
  • pumalama
    pumalama Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Like a few people said, if you are only interested by the number, I would either call or go in person and ask to look at the files. Take a picture with your phone once there.
    Just a thought, if your current doctor asks for the records to be sent to him/her, would it be cheaper for you?
  • sortin
    sortin Posts: 78
    Options
    I'm sure it's nowhere near $25 for them to pull an old record, even if it's 2 years old. Especially since if they're operating in the current decade, it should be electronic.

Your doctor should be proud of your accomplishment and waive the fee. Or "forget" to charge you.
  • mfp_junkie
    mfp_junkie Posts: 359
    Options
    I'd spend it in a heartbeat. It obviously means something to you, and that's a small price to pay.

Keep up the fantastic progress!
  • kimmydear
    kimmydear Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Since you asked, no I wouldn't spend $25 to see the number on the doctor's chart. If you already know the number...but I only said no because you asked for what others would do. If it's important to you and motivates you, then go for it!
  • Gwenski
    Gwenski Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I think that it's o.k. to spend the $25 as long as it's not taking food out of anyone's mouth, stopping you from paying a bill or something important like that. I am willing to bet that, for anyone who says you are crazy to spend $25 on that, likely has spent $25 on something that you think is crazy (something extravagant, silly, dangerous etc). Your priorities and choices are yours.. no one else's, as long as it doesn't harm anyone (including you, btw.)
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    As far as the price of the charge for the records, I agree that $25 is steep, but in the state of Texas, that is the minimum amount they charge.... it can be more depending on what is in your chart. According to the state, they are only 'mine' in theory. I'm sure they could let me look at them for free, but I want that piece of paper in my hand... I'm sure it will be more than one piece of paper. I looked up the cost of records by state and knew it would be about $20-$25, but my friends think it's silly to do this at all. I think, like some people, I would pay an arm and a leg for it.
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Since you asked, no I wouldn't spend $25 to see the number on the doctor's chart. If you already know the number...but I only said no because you asked for what others would do. If it's important to you and motivates you, then go for it!

I do not know the number for sure. When I weighed in, I asked them not to tell me what it was and that I be able to weigh with my back to the scale because I knew I was ginormous. I only suspect that 349 is the number because I heard two nurses gossiping about it right after got off the scale -- as in "Whew! Girl.... 3-4-9"

I know I started with purpose and seeing the scale at 327, so I believ that at that previous time, 349 would have been possible. But, I don't know for sure until I see the chart... it could very well have been 339, etc etc.
  • ambitious01
    ambitious01 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I would if I had the extra money :happy:
  • ccbing
    ccbing Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I'd get it....but I work in a doctor's office and I'm sure if you were to tell them why you want it.(not that it's really any of their business ..but they should be proud!)..esp. since it's just one sheet of paper, they'd be willing to give it to you for free. In my state it's illegal to charge more than $15 for the handling fee. We charge $.65 per sheet and $15 handling.
  • mici0427
    mici0427 Posts: 54
    Options
    I say go for it! And if I were your friend and knew how much it meant to you not only would I encourage you to get it I would probably chip in on the $25!! Congrats and can't wait to hear when you get to your goal weight!!;-)
  • kimmydear
    kimmydear Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Oh, I see! Sorry I didn't read your first post well. DEFINITELY! You've got to know what you've accomplished. It's a big deal to me when I lose 1 pound. I would have to have that piece of paper too! ;-)

I do not know the number for sure. When I weighed in, I asked them not to tell me what it was and that I be able to weigh with my back to the scale because I knew I was ginormous. I only suspect that 349 is the number because I heard two nurses gossiping about it right after got off the scale -- as in "Whew! Girl.... 3-4-9"

I know I started with purpose and seeing the scale at 327, so I believ that at that previous time, 349 would have been possible. But, I don't know for sure until I see the chart... it could very well have been 339, etc etc.
    [/quote]
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you can't just make an appointment with your doc and ask the number? At one of my doctor appointments a couple of years ago, the nurse who took my weight said "Wow, you've lost a lot of weight!" I said "Really? Do you have my highest weight in that file?" she goes "yep, it was 189...you're almost 50 pounds lighter now!" I was kinda surprised because I had thought my highest weight was 180...didn't cost me a thing to find it out, because I was already at the doc being seen for something anyway. :flowerforyou:
  • peprwpr
    peprwpr Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I would do it in a heartbeat!!! But, i bet if you tell the receptionist, what your wanting, they wont charge you. Ive worked in that position, and even though office policy said one thing, I would have made an exception on some circumstances. That being one of them.

Good luck, and Congrats on the awesome job!!!