How to not feel so deprived?

Options
Am I the only one that feels deprived a good deal of the time? I'm trying really hard to eat clean and I think I do so most of the time. I eat out three or four times a week, usually try to make good choices, and I love a good cocktail -- every day if I could, but I'm trying to cut back.

I think a big part of feeling deprived comes from discovering food allergies over the years: first dairy, then gluten, now soy.... I feel like I can't eat anything without having some kind of reaction.

I'm down to those last 10-15 lbs and I know that sodium/water weight is a big part of my weekly struggle, but, dammit, I feel like if I have to cut back on salt and alcohol, then forget it, I might as well just give up because I will be thin but miserable.

How can I be happy with my dietary restrictions? (FYI, my food diary is open, but keep in mind I am well under 5 feet tall, so I don't have the luxury of having big cheat meals since I literally do not have the body size to justify them....)

Replies

• MandieMarieF
    MandieMarieF Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that as soon as I raised my fat intake, my cravings/feeling of deprivation went away. I've noticed your meals are typically very low in fat and is leaving your brain grasping for things to feed it. Stay satiated by adding more olive/grapeseed/soy bean (if you're not allergic) oils, nuts, and avocado/guacamole (one of my favorite meal add-ons). Just a thought! However, everyone is different!
  • papergirl22
    papergirl22 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I think changing your feelings toward food is key...
    Food is fuel. Not fun.

Find other ways to enjoy life than the food you are eating...

I get the drinking part, believe me. I love me some red (or white) wine, wings and beer, pizza, all of it...all the 'pleasure foods'. In general, I just don't eat that stuff..I still indulge in the wine a couple times a week, but in more moderation than before.

I'm working my *kitten* off so I don't sweat it when I have a glass or 2...and something my trainer told me is that we might have to make some temp sacrifices that we can add back when we are fortunate enough to be at maintenance...so don't look at giving up X, Y, Z as a permanent thing...just for now.

Good luck.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Allergies and sensitivities, you don't have control over. So, indulge in the things you can have, in moderation. Want to indulge more? Work harder for it. I haven't significantly changed what I eat (also short, older, with low weight loss goals), just how much I eat.

Are you sure that 1200 is the appropriate calorie goal for you?
  • luvmypwds
    luvmypwds Posts: 81
    Options
    Though in an ideal world, we'd all be able to look at food and see it just as fuel, that simply is not practical. "Food feeds the soul" is a saying that I really believe in. In Asian cultures, meal times are extremely important - it is a time for bonding, relaxation, get-togethers, etc. Cooking IS fun. Eating should be something you enjoy. So I can understand why you feel deprived give all the restrictions that you have.

Are you a 100% certain that you are allergic to those foods that you list? How does your body respond? Can you allow yourself a treat once a day, in a small quantity? An ounce of dark chocolate, 5 oz of red wine, etc.? I don't think alcohol is such a terrible thing, if drank in moderation. Why do you feel you have to cut it out? A glass can do wonders!